Alan Pardew

Dave

Hatem our most creative and dangerous player spends half the game picking up the ball near the half way line (if he's lucky). We never have more than one or two in the box. EVER.

Creative players like Ben Arfa will always look to come short for the ball, where are proposing he stands, up against his marker?

Hatem our most creative and dangerous player spends half the game picking up the ball near the half way line (if he's lucky). We never have more than one or two in the box. EVER.

Creative players like Ben Arfa will always look to come short for the ball, where are proposing he stands, up against his marker?

The team isn't set up to utilise him in his more dangerous areas is my point. Coming deep for the ball now and again is fine. Hatem should be the roaming forward with Ba/Cisse ahead of him. His ball touches are supreme, it's just that he might as well be doing it outside the ground the difference that it makes to chances created.

Pardew should have been more honest about the second half performance. He was ok about the first, we did just edge it, but second half we was utter w***. He started alluding to "losing our way" and being "upset at some of our play" but none of it sounded like it was down to his s*** tactics or choices for putting people on wrong flank or out of position. The tiredness factor is just utter bollocks.

Of course it's utter bollocks. All the players who played gash today didn't feature against Brugge. We keep playing reserve teams in Europe but looking good because the right players are on the right flanks (Obertan and Santon on the right, Ferguson and Sammy on the left), then we play our first team in the league and start sticking people all over the fucking place and are predictably and repeatedly shite to watch.

I'm incredulous about it all to be quite honest. There's no sign of it yet so if the penny is dropping for Pardew it must be coming down from a hell of a fucking height.

I'm still hoping we'll improve when we get a better right back btw, so much of Pardew's mentality seems to be about covering for our deficiencies and I think that's the reason we don't get midfielders beyond the ball very much, if at all.

if you think solely getting a better right back will change the entire team, you in for a rude awakening.

I don't, so I'm not. I just think Pardew is more likely to allow the midfielders to pass and move out of their starting positions if we've got a more capable defence.

Using Europe as a reason for our poor performances is cowardly by Pardew.  5 of the top 6 teams in the league were playing in Europe and the teams playing in the CL don't have the opportunity of playing a 2nd team every game.  Europe has little bearing on our performances.  We've played nearly 100 games in Europe and usually played our strongest team and we've rarely been as poor as we are now.

I'm getting sick of hearing excuses which are based on something Pardew dreams up, it's as if he's reading them off a list.

Have we ever won handsomely under Pardew? Genuine question...

If we haven't it's quite obvious why. Score a goal and defend the lead. If we can score a second try and see the game out. (Wolves away)

A few 3-0s. (Man Utd, Stoke, Bordeaux - all at home). Few 3-1s.

Have we ever won handsomely under Pardew? Genuine question...

If we haven't it's quite obvious why. Score a goal and defend the lead. If we can score a second try and see the game out. (Wolves away)

Stoke at home was the only real game I've seen where we've played with the verve that we have seldom found as a constant

I'm still hoping we'll improve when we get a better right back btw, so much of Pardew's mentality seems to be about covering for our deficiencies and I think that's the reason we don't get midfielders beyond the ball very much, if at all.

if you think solely getting a better right back will change the entire team, you in for a rude awakening.

I don't, so I'm not. I just think Pardew is more likely to allow the midfielders to pass and move out of their starting positions if we've got a more capable defence.

what? one new right back and that will make pardew "allow the midfielders to pass and move out of their starting positions if we've got a more capable defence."

i hardly think one right back and will change the entire defence,  so the other 3 defenders in our back four are so incapable that one new fullback will solve the problem for our midfield?

im not getting where you're coming from.

Guest Howaythetoon

Pardew is an average manager in charge of a very good set of individuals. He has us set-up well defensively which makes us hard to beat to an extent but this cautious set-up also makes it hard for us to really get at the opposition and to put them to the sword. Performance wise we put in consistently disjointed performances and rely massively on our better players doing their thing, most notably Krul, Colo and Ba whome without we would be relegation candidates. Our other better players like Cabaye and Ben Arfa blow hot and cold because our tactics, system etc. do not help them.

In short we are a dour workmanlike side. Sadly that is all we will ever be under Pardew despite last season's 5th place finish and the players we have. My worry is that those very players will soon see the light if you like and decide their better days lie elsewhere away from Pardew and his safety first workmanlike ways. Many on here noticed this last season but good results/form/league position etc. helped to drown out our concerns. The reality is our performance today, that is what we are as we have shown all season and for good parts of last season.

I met Pardew pre-season at a talk-in where he was most impressive and he told me personally we would play good football because that's the type of manager he is and what he wants and I thought do you know what, despite all my criticism of him in the past, that I would give him a chance and go easy on him if you like. And I have and will continue to go easy on him, but reality is reality and the reality of where we are and where we are going can be found in the vast majority of our performances this season which given our players is simply not and never will be good enough. The man talks a good game but cannot get his players to play a good game.

He doesn't have a clue what his best 11 is, where to play certain players, how to play certain players nor in what kind of set-up or system even though all of those things are staring him in the fucking eye.

what? one new right back and that will make pardew "allow the midfielders to pass and move out of their starting positions if we've got a more capable defence."

i hardly think one right back and will change the entire defence,  so the other 3 defenders in our back four are so incapable that one new fullback will solve the problem for our midfield?

im not getting where you're coming from.

It doesn't matter

He seems far more protective compared to last season. If it's a defensive mechanism because of our great finish then you can understand it to a certain extent. Almost don't do anything too rash and we'll be ok mentality.

The facts are! we didn't prepare at all for the new season. In fact! It was a fucking disgrace that so many players were not fit or motivated for the start. He had a fantastic nucleaus of players to build around and yet we didn't strengthen in key areas that would have seen us push on.

Now we are playing catch-up, just hoping a spark will ignite somewhere through the team.  It looks like it will only happen if we get a couple of top class players in. And there lies the problem. We simply don't want to spend the money it would take; Just happy ticking along.

The motivation element lies entirely at the managers feet so he needs to get a full 90 mins out of them sharpish, or his days are numbered.