Alan Pardew

Dave

"Where we are" is 3 points off 5th btw.

That's one less win than the Everton who everyone say have had a tremendous start to the season.

Despite how we're performing, we're not in trouble yet at all.

That's one less win than the Everton who everyone say have had a tremendous start to the season.

Is anybody claiming we're in trouble?

Sensible post. In many ways this season is similar to last. This season though we've got more games to play and we've had injuries to Krul, Colo and Saylor, those players make a massive difference to our fortunes. Last season we started poorly and picked up wins, this season it's been mostly draws due to the missing players, Krul made a couple of match winning saves today.

Is anybody claiming we're in trouble?

Did I say that anyone had said we were ?

Finally goes with 4-3-3 and starts Shola as the RW :lol: Fair enough play the lad in a 4-4-2 but I don't see why Cisse wouldn't have been a much better choice today considering he's actually a good and physically fit footballer.

He has some serious work to do, he doesn't appear to have a lot of control at the minute.

Did I say that anyone had said we were ?

I thought I had missed something, I didn't think you would be defending Pardew against something which hasn't been said. 

Obviously, I was wrong.

The one good thing so far is that this season hasn't completley gone yet with us having 13 points on board. Also, we haven't really fucked up any game that we SHOULD win on paper other than Aston Villa at SJP and perhaps at Reading. Add to that a good win over Spurs that not many teams will claim this season.

I do also have some sort of faith in Pardew to sort things out. We've seen him do it before. It's about installing confidence in his players and encouraging them to to what they do best. We keep referring to that period during March/April when we played some of the best football I've seen us play. The same players and the same manager are all still here. It is more than anything down to Pardew.

Maybe the injury to Demba will turn out to be one of those famous blessings in disguise. I love Demba and think the world of him, but Pardew has an unhealthy view of how to use him. Papiss is lethal as hell playing in the CF position. If we support him properly with two wingers and a dynamic midfield, I think we'll see an upturn in performances.

I'm just defending Pardew and making the statement "we're not in trouble yet" ???

Fair enough, I don't see why we have to wait until we're in trouble before pointing out his mistakes.  This isn't the transfer window where we can't complain about our lack of signings until the window is shut, is it?

I really don't understand why he plays a different system in Europe. Some clubs with great youth academies play the same system all the way from the u-9s through to senior level, we can't even manage the same system across the first team from game to game.

Surely if you're hoping to minimise the effects of having midweek games to prepare for, it would make sense to try and prepare the team the same way. At the moment, we seem to try at least three or four different ways of playing in the same game - no consistency.

Guest Howaythetoon

We could be top, but our performances are diabolical. Performances are a true indicator of a player and a team by the way. Everton have had a good start by their standards but the most impressive thing about them isn't their position in the table but their performances which is a marked improvement from say last season and even previous seasons.

If we keep playing the way we are, we will not finish in the top 5 or 6. If Everton continue to play like they have been doing, they will have a good chance.

No side can continue to play as poorly or as iffy as we are and expect to keep finishing high or keep improving because it won't happen. As it stands last season is looking like a one off and unless we improve our football massively, it will be judged that way come May.

One thing I will say, Moyes has shown that an old dog can learn new tricks or that given time (in his case, fucking lots), a manager can finally get there and get his team there so all is not lost with Pardew. That said, we are only into October, Everton have a long way to go, and Moyes is a far better manager than Pardew anyway.

I really don't understand why he plays a different system in Europe. Some clubs with great youth academies play the same system all the way from the u-9s through to senior level, we can't even manage the same system across the first team from game to game.

Surely if you're hoping to minimise the effects of having midweek games to prepare for, it would make sense to try and prepare the team the same way. At the moment, we seem to try at least three or four different ways of playing in the same game - no consistency.

Agree completely, seems like we have no idea of which system to play and which players suit them better. It is great that we are playing shint and will hopefully start playing well soon at some point and start tearing teams apart...Have to be optimistic!

I think we need to start seeing the same team.

It's no wonder we play like we 11 strangers when we've had 30 variations of the team this season.

Part of the key to success at the back end of last season was a consistent lineup. Making 9 change for midweek is doing more harm than good IMO

It's no wonder we play like we 11 strangers when we've had 30 variations of the team this season.

Part of the key to success at the back end of last season was a consistent lineup. Making 9 change for midweek is doing more harm than good IMO

:thup: agree, especially when there is a fair discrepancy in the quality of the players coming in.

Guest Howaythetoon

By the way, Carver and Stone's input needs questioned. If they are the ying to Pardew's yang or vice versa, its not working. Defensively we are well oganised but offensively there seems to be nothing of any structure other than the long/hoof/aimless punts forward. We do not move well as a team going forward yet off the ball we are fucking pretty good, holding a shape and generally proving a tough obstacle to overcome. Sadly, we still concede more goals than we should and that's because we don't retain the ball well enough giving the opposition more of a chance to get at our defence.

We could be top, but our performances are diabolical. Performances are a true indicator of a player and a team by the way. Everton have had a good start by their standards but the most impressive thing about them isn't their position in the table but their performances which is a marked improvement from say last season and even previous seasons.

If we keep playing the way we are, we will not finish in the top 5 or 6. If Everton continue to play like they have been doing, they will have a good chance.

No side can continue to play as poorly or as iffy as we are and expect to keep finishing high or keep improving because it won't happen. As it stands last season is looking like a one off and unless we improve our football massively, it will be judged that way come May.

One thing I will say, Moyes has shown that an old dog can learn new tricks or that given time (in his case, fucking lots), a manager can finally get there and get his team there so all is not lost with Pardew. That said, we are only into October, Everton have a long way to go, and Moyes is a far better manager than Pardew anyway.

In what ways do you see him as better? Genuine question. Like Pards he used to be quite defensive.

I think the first team giving someone a real midweek kicking would do them the world of good. Even when we win I'm not keen on the chopping and changing. Winning comfortably in midweek is a massive confidence boost, Robson's teams rarely had a problem with winning 5-0 on Thursday then playing on Sunday too.

I think the first team giving someone a real midweek kicking would do them the world of good. Even when we win I'm not keen on the chopping and changing. Winning comfortably in midweek is a massive confidence boost, Robson's teams rarely had a problem with winning 5-0 on Thursday then playing on Sunday too.

:thup:

It's a bit tiring but it gives stability, instils confidence and forms a better team.

Would do us the world of good because we look disjointed.

I really do wish we would go for the jugular when taking the lead. The players seem absolutely terrified to express themselves and this is showing in their timid performances. At times under Hughton you felt the players could smell blood and really went for it when we took the lead at home against some teams, yet Pardew just seems happy to contain and keep things as tight as possible.

I'm starting to get worried about how long our players will want to stick around as well due to the way we are playing. Some might think I'm over exaggerating but Pardew's certainly not making our players look anywhere near as good as they should at the moment. I know people will respond and say that the players are letting him down, but no it's the other way round as far as I'm concerned, he's letting them down with his negative and uninspiring tactics.

Could you imagine how SBR or Keegan would have this group of players playing? We'd look a completely different team.

I also don't think the Ba issue is helping, yes he's scoring which is fine, but is it at a cost to the team? Or even why not play Cisse on the left? Total madness playing Shola on the wing today, there was no 4-3-3 about it, it was a 4-5-1 all day long. When you're playing that formation you need Ben Arfa on the right cutting in and doing damage as he's not your traditional winger that will hog the touch line and get balls in. Somebody like Sammy is though so for the time being why not try him out there?

It's also blatantly obvious like has been mentioned little preparation goes into attacking tactics at all, I'm not just talking about set pieces etc. Basic things like passing the ball short and movement which we are lacking so badly at the moment. People tried to criticise some of the methods of Keegan as all his training used to be based around was passing and movement, but it certainly worked. Some serious thought and preparation needs to be put into this side of things, as it's so uninspiring and dull to watch. I don't think people would be so bothered if we were playing this type of football with a lesser squad like we had a few years ago, but the reason why Pardew is coming in for criticism right now is because he's not getting the best out of our best group of attacking players for quite some time. He talks a good game to the press and loves a bit of PR but I'm not seeing anything where it matters at the moment.

Well that's my rant over anyways. Apologies as that post will be far from succinct, it's just the same old story at the moment.

Not expressing a particularly strongly held personal opinion but I sometimes consider the perception that Pardew gives off of someone who is extremely professional and studies tactics and opposition on a regular basis. Which is great. At the same time I do think that this whole looking sharp and professional, making the right soundbites and showing that you do things like having dossiers on each side (which I have been led to believe) detracts from whether he has the nous or astute ability to do the basic things well. Things seem a bit garbled and over-analysed. I dunno. The rhetoric Pardew provides and the reality don't really correlate.

Guest Howaythetoon

One thing I will say, Moyes has shown that an old dog can learn new tricks or that given time (in his case, f***ing lots), a manager can finally get there and get his team there so all is not lost with Pardew. That said, we are only into October, Everton have a long way to go, and Moyes is a far better manager than Pardew anyway.

In what ways do you see him as better? Genuine question. Like Pards he used to be quite defensive.

When he sees a winning formula, he generally tries to stick with it, same with a player. He's not the best tactically but he sets his sides up to play to their strengths and he has shown over the years he has learned or is willing to change his playing style from the dogs of war type game to a more fluid game we see today, and that has also been shown in the type of players he has went for. All this really on a shoestring budget.

He's not a great manager but he is probably the best British manager after Fergie which may not say a lot given the paucity of 'talent' if you like but he's good at what he does, very good and a step or two up from Pardew.

I'd imagine Moyes would eventually find the best system/tactics for the players he has at Newcastle and then would stick with it either until it worked or failed and then try again until finally finding that winning formula as is his MO at Everton. In short getting his side and players playing to their strengths.

I imagine as an Everton fan this way has been frustrating at times and requires a massive degree of patience but you cannot deny the results.

I really do wish we would go for the jugular when taking the lead. The players seem absolutely terrified to express themselves and this is showing in their timid performances. At times under Hughton you felt the players could smell blood and really went for it when we took the lead at home against some teams, yet Pardew just seems happy to contain and keep things as tight as possible.

I'm starting to get worried about how long our players will want to stick around as well due to the way we are playing. Some might think I'm over exaggerating but Pardew's certainly not making our players look anywhere near as good as they should at the moment. I know people will respond and say that the players are letting him down, but no it's the other way round as far as I'm concerned, he's letting them down with his negative and uninspiring tactics.

Could you imagine how SBR or Keegan would have this group of players playing? We'd look a completely different team.

I also don't think the Ba issue is helping, yes he's scoring which is fine, but is it at a cost to the team? Or even why not play Cisse on the left? Total madness playing Shola on the wing today, there was no 4-3-3 about it, it was a 4-5-1 all day long. When you're playing that formation you need Ben Arfa on the right cutting in and doing damage as he's not your traditional winger that will hog the touch line and get balls in. Somebody like Sammy is though so for the time being why not try him out there?

It's also blatantly obvious like has been mentioned little preparation goes into attacking tactics at all, I'm not just talking about set pieces etc. Basic things like passing the ball short and movement which we are lacking so badly at the moment. People tried to criticise some of the methods of Keegan as all his training used to be based around was passing and movement, but it certainly worked. Some serious thought and preparation needs to be put into this side of things, as it's so uninspiring and dull to watch. I don't think people would be so bothered if we were playing this type of football with a lesser squad like we had a few years ago, but the reason why Pardew is coming in for criticism right now is because he's not getting the best out of our best group of attacking players for quite some time. He talks a good game to the press and loves a bit of PR but I'm not seeing anything where it matters at the moment.

Well that's my rant over anyways. Apologies as that post will be far from succinct, it's just the same old story at the moment.

Good posts :thup: Especially like what's in bold.

I agree, the constant changes are not needed.

Guest Howaythetoon

I genuinely think we would be playing free-flowing attacking football that would have the media and pundits alike asking whether we can go all the way because we would be right up there at the very top end of the table. Of course this being Newcastle of course we would tail off and not win anything but boy we would be exciting and a side feared even by those that do win titles. In short we'd be the kind of team we were when we finished 3rd under KK or 4th under Sir Bobby. Those attacking players of ours would love playing for those two, love it. I too share your worries regarding our better players wanting away eventually. If we as fans are not enjoying watching us, imagine what some of the players feel privately.