Alan Pardew

Dave

- Last season - a commendable finish for the club, but not down to Pardew exclusively or even significantly*

* - argument done to death/won't revisit!

I know you're not going to revisit this argument, but I'm quoting it anyway.

Bad season? Completely the manager's fault.

Good season? Not exclusively or even significantly the manager's doing.

:lol:

Also known as terrible manager saved by good players.

- Last season - a commendable finish for the club, but not down to Pardew exclusively or even significantly*

That doesn't make sense I'm afraid.

Those goals were an own goal, a huge goalkeeping error and a cross :yao:

MOAR DEFENCE.

Wonder if he goes over the scene of the crime in his head, back to the week leading up to the final and regrets not spending the full-five days working on defending, so maybe they could have kept it to 3-2.

Guest icemanblue

Shouldn't the fact we now have better players mean that we should have finished higher then?

Honestly, it's the worst argument I've ever seen. Genuinely, the most bollocks ever presented in text format. :lol:

So according to that article alone, we've lost half our games, went out the cups at the first hurdle, a terrible decision was made about who plays at LB against the Mackems, Cabaye is playing shite, Tiote is playing shite, a proper position for Sissoko hasn't been found and we're 16th.

But the manager isn't to blame.

Brilliant :lol:

I'm just sick of watching the football we've played under him. We will never in a million years resemble Benefica for example, even though we may have comparable players. Football under Hughton was hardly Barcaesque but it was entertaining, you knew there was a chance we would absolutely demolish a team if the game started well.

So yeah, I want him to leave because I hate watching my team play football.

Though i have to add that the more I hear his list of excuses, the more I'm turned off by the idea of him staying on. I just don't think he's handling all this pressure well and that's why he's contradicting himself week to week. It's not a good sign but somewhat excusable because many things have adversely impacted our points total. He's not dumb, and that's why I'm willing to give it one more chance. He's not as smart as he thinks he is so he should stop using big words in sentences that don't make sense, and in general he should just not talk as much, but I don't think he's dumb. Maybe he's a better talker than a doer but the way he approaches the game, with stats etc., is something that all the big teams do. You read about Guardiola, Mourinho etc., and you see that they are meticulous in preparition and extremely demanding. Pardew's obviously not them but he's not Kinnear as well who's an old school guy. What I'm basically trying to say is that I'm willing to give Pardew a chance because he has shown that he's open to new ideas and he's not stupid. I would say that he's actually very thin skinned which is why you see him talking about every little problem we have and being so willing to accommodate player's wishes - something I don't think better managers would do - and in general rambling when asked to explain things, and I take that as a sign that he's not good under pressure, but I still don't think he's stupid.

In a roundabout way you've basically called him a bullshitter who is out of his depth.

Well yes. :lol:

I definitely think he's a bullshitter and I think everyone on here knows that he's one and that's because he's not a good bullshitter. He's not good under pressure, he's not good when people are questioning his actions, he's not thick skinned, someone who has conviction and a clear idea. He's someone who's so willing to switch from one position to the next that you know he's a bullshitter. But he's not dumb. Some of the things he says are true and when he talks about the back room methodology, there is a logic and a reason there. Maybe he was just so impressed by all the stuff that Murinho was doing that he's just tried to copy it without truly understanding it. It wouldn't be the first time someone has tried to use stats and analysts without truly understanding them. That's possible. I think he's in-between. He's clearly not some football savant but he's also not Kinnear. I'm just giving him some benefit of the doubt because I don't think he's dumb. He's just weak. His weakness has cost us this season. But next season he might not be so weak when he reflects on his mistakes this season. If he's more ruthless next season, we'll be much better off for it.

Agree with most of what you are saying, but unfortunately he won't come back a reformed character learning from his mistakes, what he will do is swing even further the other way and we will suffer for it. He's not dumb, but he's not clever either. He feels he's untouchable, he feels he can brush everything off with an excuse and it has to be taken as gospel. Maybe if he felt he was in real danger we'd see a better effort from him, but as it is its about protecting his ego and accepting no blame for anything that has happened this season because if he gets away with it he's in a job next year. I'm hoping Ashley & Co aren't as stupid as Pardew thinks they are and they can see right through him.

So according to that article alone, we've lost half our games, went out the cups at the first hurdle, a terrible decision was made about who plays at LB against the Mackems, Cabaye is playing shite, Tiote is playing shite, a proper position for Sissoko hasn't been found and we're 16th.

But the manager isn't to blame.

Does it actually say that though?

Guest neesy111

Souness is a destroyer of clubs, man. He took a team that'd finished 4th, 3rd and 5th and left us 18 months later (after spending well over £50m) in 16th place with an unrecognisable Newcastle United. Pardew, Kinnear, Shearer or anyone will never come close to that level of incompetence.

This.

I can honestly say, the reason, i think, is that he goes to great lengths to be liked by his players is because they haven't got any other reasons to respect him.

I'll bet there's more than a grain of truth in that.

I can honestly say, the reason, i think, is that he goes to great lengths to be liked by his players is because they haven't got any other reasons to respect him.

I'll bet there's more than a grain of truth in that.

It's a rock, man. Made of a BILLION grains stuck together.

That Simon Bird article is thoroughly depressing. Many will completely buy it too.

The defence? Journalist cliché bingo and plausible deniability.

- "Stability" - as though that ever, in and of itself, helped any club

- "Manager of the year" - a largely meaningless accolade

- "Ruling himself out of the England job 12 months ago" - meaningless attribute for a manager

- Last season - a commendable finish for the club, but not down to Pardew exclusively or even significantly* but most importantly he didn't demonstrate any attributes which will help us progress going forwards - which is the only factor which matters when you're looking at whether to keep him for next season

- The David Moyes example - just plain irrelevant tripe

He has no outstanding managerial attributes, and you'd struggle to argue he has even average attributes in important areas. There is no good reason to keep him or be patient with him based on the evidence available IMO.

You may not have faith in who Ashley would appoint next, but I'd rather gamble on an unknown than slowly circle the drain as we will continue with our known quantity of Pardew. [Could you even imagine what would happen if he we were ever to reach a cup final (our only vaguely realistic hope of winning something)? Could you imagine how conservatively he'd play it? How much he'd concentrate on the opposition in advance of the final? How little he'd give them to worry about us? Cisse would be revising the attacking threat of their centre-backs for four out of the five days leading up to the final :lol:]

He's not even close to being good enough to match the ambitions of the club,... but then again maybe he does meet the ambitions of the decision-makers and certain fans who will endure and pay for anything they are served up.

Spot on Berren :thup:

I think most would accept that a lot of this season isn't down to Pardew, he's had horrible luck. That isn't the point though, it's that he shows no qualities that suggest he can move us forward as a club, and it would seem that if we continue with him into next season would have the same problems as we have had this and last. We've always been very easy to play against and I doubt his rigid but defensively sound game plan will ever work again to the effect it did last season.

Simon 'The c***' Bird

Knee jerks: Why Newcastle fans are so wrong to call for Alan Pardew's head

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-column-knee-jerk-toon-fans-1849087?

23 Apr 2013 12:55

Yes, it's been a disappointing season - but what's the point of seeking the rewards of stability one minute, then sacking the manager?!

Pardew out! Give him the sack. He's clueless. His tactics are rubbish. We never score from set pieces. The bloke's a joke.

The narrative of Alan Pardew's reign at St James' Park is changing.

Views such as these are taking a hold among a militant section of fans who have lost patience already with the man who led Newcastle to fifth spot last season, and was crowned Manager of the Year.

The fact there is even a debate going on among Newcastle fans about the future of their manager is ludicrous, and proves how fickle and knee jerk punters can be.

Yes, it's been a very poor season. Newcastle have lost HALF of their league games, seven at home. They've exited both cups at the first hurdle, in meek fashion. They have leaked goals, turned in passion free performances and lacked a bit of heart at times.

And yes, they were crucified by Sunderland at home in the North East derby.

But sack the manager?

Sure, Pardew may be in line for a rollicking from owner Mike Ashley during an end of season inquest.

Too many times they have failed to hit on a tactical formula that worked. Frequently the team performances have added up to less than the sum of the individual talent on the team sheet, which is a worry.

Such is the life of a top flight manager that you can go from tactical genius, and being asked about taking the England job, then 12 months later have a movement against you brewing.

Remember last October when it was pats on the back all-round as Pardew was awarded an eight-year contract?. At last, a bit of stability, we all said. Wow, never thought we'd use that word to describe Newcastle United.

A contract that should smooth the peaks and troughs of results, and ensure the club does not lurch from one crisis to the next, like it has done in recent decades.

So what's changed now? Does stability go out of the window after a few bad months, with mitigating factors of repeated injuries to big name players, European travel, and lack of coaching time on the training pitch because of the continental travel and number of matches being played?

Tactically challenged

Those urging Pardew to be booted out, appear to assume he doesn't understand the situation.

Take of instance the lack of goals at set pieces that is being used as a stick to hit him with. United staff have looked at this and have a theory. They don't have enough big men to cause havoc.

Their two biggest jumpers, Steven Taylor and Moussa Sissoko are marked up by the opposition's biggest. Newcastle believe they need a good third or fourth jumper in there to cause trouble. It will be a consideration when discussing transfer targets in the summer.

Should have played in Tyne-Wear derby: Massadio Haidara

Action

Take for instance the lack of passion or work-rate during the Sunderland defeat. Think Pardew didn't notice that? He adjusted training last week to include some tough running drills for two days to sharpen up what was required. It worked for the first half against West Brom, at least.

Take for instance the criticism over tactical and selection mistakes. Pardew does evaluate his decisions. United players have inside info from Sunderland that Paolo Di Canio deliberately targeted their left side. The Mackems believed three quarters of the goals United concede come from this side, and exploited it.

Should Pardew have played Jonas Gutierrez at left back? In hindsight no, Massadio Haidara should have played, like he did against Benfica.

Pardew has other tactical dilemmas to face. How to get the best out of Sissoko. How to revive Cheick Tiote, and make Papiss Cisse an exceptional finisher, rather than a good one.

Crucially how to get Yohan Cabaye into games, when the opposition is targeting him as the way to stop United from functioning. United sources say this is becoming a big frustration with Cabaye. Enough to give him an excuse to leave?

The Frenchman also feels, as do many in the dressing room, that they have been singled out for took much criticism during this bad run. Others reckon it is just the kick up the backside everyone needs.

Pardew himself complained on Friday that he though some criticism has been "heavy handed."

If that is directed at those calling for his sacking, fair enough.

But the reality is Newcastle deserve a load of criticism for many of their performances and mistakes. Changes need to be made, tactics tweaked, attitudes sharpened up.

They do not deserve fickle supporters calling for root and branch upheaval of the management team.

He's a model: David Moyes, manager of Everton

Jan Kruger

Newcastle look to Everton as a model. David Moyes has had season where Everton plunged from Champions' League qualifiers to also-rans. They learned from the experience and let Moyes get on with it, rather than axe him.

In May '03 Moyes led Everton to seventh. A year later they finished fourth bottom.

By May '05 they finished fourth, then the next season were 11th. Since those early days Moyes has been more consistent, keeping Everton in, or around, the European places.

It maybe a similar roller-coaster for Pardew and Newcastle, who can't preach stability one month, then ditch it when the going gets tough.

Now you know why the idiot Bird works for a rag like the Mirror....at one time, they would have used it in outside toilets.....

We are all wrong and a two-bit journo from a rag with shrinking distribution is right.....Yeah, OK then..!

Shouldn't the fact we now have better players mean that we should have finished higher then?

Honestly, it's the worst argument I've ever seen. Genuinely, the most bollocks ever presented in text format. :lol:

Some players fits a manager and his philosophy better than others. Pardew and his terrible tactics have been thoroughly implemented - and found out. He's not changing either, so naturally we're doing worse.

Take for instance the lack of passion or work-rate during the Sunderland defeat. Think Pardew didn't notice that? He adjusted training last week to include some tough running drills for two days to sharpen up what was required. It worked for the first half against West Brom, at least.

Take for instance the criticism over tactical and selection mistakes. Pardew does evaluate his decisions. United players have inside info from Sunderland that Paolo Di Canio deliberately targeted their left side. The Mackems believed three quarters of the goals United concede come from this side, and exploited it.

Should Pardew have played Jonas Gutierrez at left back? In hindsight no, Massadio Haidara should have played, like he did against Benfica.

So this is Bird's supporting argument for pardew? :lol: