Rotten behaviour from Mags down the years

Big Geordie

I know some of our lot aren't all sweetness and light - we all know there are and have been violent wasters amongst our ranks, for who going and watching football becomes a distant and poor second to causing grief and bother. If owt, this thread is merely to offer a bit of balance to what's gone on in the mackem thread of recent (examples of racist behaviour on RTG)

When I first start going to games, back in 81/82, I remember skinheads from the National Front being regular visitors, trying to pedal their filth. Not unsurprising given some of the racist chanting I head at St James, back in the day. It was par for the course and as a youngster, I didn't really understand. I remember the likes of John Barnes and Bobby Barnes getting awful abuse. :thdn:

I was also at the Charlton game where Colin Walsh broke his leg after a 50-50 with John Anderson, and the poor lad having coins chucked at him by some 'people' the corner as he lay on a stretcher. :( :thdn:

I also remember plenty being dished out to the likes of David Speedie, Pat Nevin and Frank McAvennie (for obvious and different reasons) :)

Going to the match was a very different experience back then and some of the younger lads won't understand it. Whilst it was great to stand on the terraces with the same lads every home game, it also came with the downside.

Any experiences to share?

I know some of our lot aren't all sweetness and light - we all know there are and have been violent wasters amongst our ranks, for who going and watching football becomes a distant and poor second to causing grief and bother. If owt, this thread is merely to offer a bit of balance to what's gone on in the mackem thread of recent (examples of racist behaviour on RTG)

When I first start going to games, back in 81/82, I remember skinheads from the National Front being regular visitors, trying to pedal their filth. Not unsurprising given some of the racist chanting I head at St James, back in the day. It was par for the course and as a youngster, I didn't really understand. I remember the likes of John Barnes and Bobby Barnes getting awful abuse. :thdn: I remember plenty being dished out to the likes of David Speedie, Pat Nevin and Frank McAvennie (for obvious and different reasons) :)

I was also at the Charlton game where Colin Walsh broke his leg after a 50-50 with John Anderson, and the poor lad having coins chucked at him by some 'people' the corner as he lay on a stretcher. :( :thdn:

I also remember plenty being dished out to the likes of David Speedie, Pat Nevin and Frank McAvennie (for obvious and different reasons) :)

Going to the match was a very different experience back then and some of the younger lads won't understand it. Whilst it was great to stand on the terraces with the same lads every home game, it also came with the downside.

Any experiences to share?

It used to have a pretty hostile feel to it.

Glad its been tidied up, the game needed it...better atmosphere then tho (obviously when you remove the racist guff and coin throwing etc)

It did NG, and we had a very pad rep with visiting teams particularly when the had black players. I'm glad that kind of shite has been removed from the ground, but it definitely still goes on. I think in terms of racism, Andy Cole and Les Ferdinand did much to change things through their performances. I am old enough to remember Howard Gayle and Tony Cunningham- the latter was never the most gifted footballer, but he did graft and for that had my respect back then.

Kenwyne jones songs a bit dodgy

was just going to mention this too.

never seen much though at NUFC though, seen some dodgy chanting etc. in Birmingham a few years ago, remember a small group (3 or 4) chanting "luke,luke, luke skywalker" at a woman in a burka. but thats it, which in the time i've been going isn't too bad i suppose.

There was that game against West Ham in 1980 (I think) when a petrol bomb was hoyed into the away fans' enclosure.

Before my time (just) and legend has it that it landed at the feet of Tony Cottee and John Cornwell (ex Newcastle) The lad that thew it, ended up at Northgate Hospital (I think)

There was that game against West Ham in 1980 (I think) when a petrol bomb was hoyed into the away fans' enclosure.

Before my time (just) and legend has it that it landed at the feet of Tony Cottee and John Cornwell (ex Newcastle) The lad that thew it, ended up at Northgate Hospital (I think)

There's a picture here among some great old images of SJP in the '80s:

http://www.soccer24-7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179447

That old corrugated Iron stand.  Absolute death trap.

Guest firetotheworks

tbh I think most footballers don't mind most of the stuff as long as it's in good spirit like. For me I think the Bo Selecta RVP song is probably the limit of what's okay.

The old wooden west stand, dating from the turn of the century, was probably a bit of a death trap, too.

The old wooden west stand, dating from the turn of the century, was probably a bit of a death trap, too.

Thats the one i meant.

I've heard monkey chants from behind both goals and seen bananas being thrown on to the pitch in the 70’s and 80’s.  The monkey chants weren't 1 or 2 people, they were made by almost everybody in the Leazes and Gallowgate.  Our fans would sing "He's a wog, a wog, it's plain to see, to see, he's blacker than you and me, he's a wog a wog."  I remember a programme on TV about black slaves in America that brought about a chant of "Roots" which was the name of the programme, another was "Chicken George" who was a fictional character in Roots.  They would also chant "You black bastard." 

Strangely, we didn't really have a problem with racism away from the football match.  I went to matches with a black lad and it was embarrassing having to stand next to my mate and he was having to listen to and put up with that shit. Luckily, I haven’t heard anything in years.

The racism was a step up from what normally happened in those days with chants against anybody who stood out.  If a player was losing his hair that was picked on, if somebody was looking over weight then chants of “You fat bastard” were used against them.

No matter what people think, things have changed for the better, even if this sort of shit hasn’t gone completely.

Guest neesy111

He's got a bomb...

Mido?

Shame. I thougth the first part of the chant was perfect.

The stuff about him looking like Richard Reid?

I've heard monkey chants from behind both goals and seen bananas being thrown on to the pitch in the 70’s and 80’s.  The monkey chants weren't 1 or 2 people, they were made by almost everybody in the Leazes and Gallowgate.  Our fans would sing "He's a wog, a wog, it's plain to see, to see, he's blacker than you and me, he's a wog a wog."  I remember a programme on TV about black slaves in America that brought about a chant of "Roots" which was the name of the programme, another was "Chicken George" who was a fictional character in Roots.  They would also chant "You black bastard." 

Strangely, we didn't really have a problem with racism away from the football match.  I went to matches with a black lad and it was embarrassing having to stand next to my mate and he was having to listen to and put up with that shit. Luckily, I haven’t heard anything in years.

The racism was a step up from what normally happened in those days with chants against anybody who stood out.  If a player was losing his hair that was picked on, if somebody was looking over weight then chants of “You fat bastard” were used against them.

No matter what people think, things have changed for the better, even if this sort of shit hasn’t gone completely.

I can also remember the entire crowd singing "The referee's a puff".

1985, I was in the 'A' wing paddock, Luton Town, black chap came to take corner and the bananas came coupled with the 'monkey' chants. It was awful. I was a bairn with some lads of about 15 years of age. I thought it was the norm even though i'd never experienced such vile behaviour...Shocking when i look back...