Lack of Investment

Crumpy Gunt

That's all with hindsight. He's massively underperformed almost all season and he'd have been dropped if we had another good player in his position (and a manager with a backbone). The nearest player is Gosling and he's both not very good and injured.

Of course it's with hindsight, with hindsight we'd be worse off without him.  The players aren't the problem, the way that we play is.  The players will become as much of a problem as our playing style because it will become so ingrained that they'll struggle to change if it goes on for much longer.

Actually hope the Players give Pardew a bollocking for his lack of tactics and inability to use them. aka. Ben Arfa criticizing  his tactics and style last season. Time to put a bit of pressure on the source of the problem.

Do you think Hatem putting a bit of pressure on him is what eventually made him go to 4-3-3 and a more passing game for that short period of time? i don't really have an opinion on it either way but i'd like to know what people think.

Because it was quite a drastic change and quite frankly i never saw it coming.

Hatem will be the first to come out the team if he says something.

That's all with hindsight. He's massively underperformed almost all season and he'd have been dropped if we had another good player in his position (and a manager with a backbone). The nearest player is Gosling and he's both not very good and injured.

Of course it's with hindsight, with hindsight we'd be worse off without him.  The players aren't the problem, the way that we play is.  The players will become as much of a problem as our playing style because it will become so ingrained that they'll struggle to change if it goes on for much longer.

We'd only be worse off without Cabaye as there's nobody else to take his place. His lack of dominance/effect on most games leads to us losing the midfield, which is a huge part in why we're playing badly. We look so much better when he turns up but that's not very often.

We'd only be worse off without Cabaye as there's nobody else to take his place. His lack of dominance/effect on most games leads to us losing the midfield, which is a huge part in why we're playing badly. We look so much better when he turns up but that's not very often.

He's playing far too deep and I don't think that's because he's made a decision to play that way.  He plays much better when he's getting into the opposition box and he'll not do that on the edge of our box.

I'd love us to have a central midfielder who could chip 8-10 goals in a year. I think there was one about today.

Play Cabaye in that forward position consistently and he would that is quite clear, his goal return when he plays there is great.

We have much bigger issues than that.

I realised today that my expectations have to be lowered a level, like. When the theme of the day is (once again) Mike Williamson launching dreadful balls to a knackered Shola Ameobi it's time to face some hard facts. We're going nowhere without big, big changes.

I realised today that my expectations have to be lowered a level, like. When the theme of the day is (once again) Mike Williamson launching dreadful balls to a knackered Shola Ameobi it's time to face some hard facts. We're going nowhere without big, big changes.

Did that happen in the 46th minute?  Anyway, I've corrected your typo.

He's playing far too deep and I don't think that's because he's made a decision to play that way.  He plays much better when he's getting into the opposition box and he'll not do that on the edge of our box.

He is allowed to get forward, like in the examples you quoted above. There is no link between midfield and the forwards and I put this down to Cabaye more than anyone else. If the ball gets smashed forward he should push up. It's common sense.

Jonas playing behind him today should have freed him up to go forward more but he didn't bother.

It's a kop out excuse and one that managers lean far too heavily on, a good manager brings his own fresh ideas and doesn't rely on much investment to keep things ticking over. Whatever happened to simply being a little creative? Producing good football isn't difficult and we have the personnel to pull it off, this is a young and hungry squad, there's no issue with their motivation/desire.

He is allowed to get forward, like in the examples you quoted above. There is no link between midfield and the forwards and I put this down to Cabaye more than anyone else. If the ball gets smashed forward he should push up. It's common sense.

Jonas playing behind him today should have freed him up to go forward more but he didn't bother.

We're missing a box-to-box player so badly, like. Far too often Cabaye's on the edge of his own area when he should be well past the halfway line.

The ball travels through air quicker than Cabaye or anybody else for that matter can run.  Jonas and Cabaye were both playing deep, Jonas was probably slightly further forward on the left than Cabaye was on the right.  We have no link between midfield and the forwards because far too often it's hit from front to back. 

The distance between midfield and attack can't be down to the players because that would be sorted on the training pitch if it was true.

I find this type of thread immensely frustrating because I know it appeals to the anti-Ashley sentiment which still simmers for a lot of Newcastle fans. But it deflects from the bleeding obvious which is that the squad is not being used right and the manager is trying to impose a defensive, physical style of football on a squad that's been bought for football ability. Allardyce did the same thing. We are going to lose players due to this bone-headed approach and it won't be because of lack of investment, it will be because good players want to play football.

Is the answer not, you know, somewhere in the middle? Doesn't have to be one or the other.

It does though. These are our owners and that's the sum of their investment. That being the case the only thing you can do is get the best out of the players at your disposal. So asking for performances and results against Man City would be unreasonable. But we can't use lack of investment for an excuse against West Ham, Reading or Villa.

Play Cabaye in that forward position consistently and he would that is quite clear, his goal return when he plays there is great.

Source, dude?

Well he scored 2 in 3 from that position this season and scored about 3 in 5 from that position last season.

Which honestly over a 38 game reason should mean that he would score close to 10 if not more.

I'm talking about him playing as the most advanced midfielder when we play 4-3-3 as more often than not he either creates a goal or scores a goal he's very effective in that role.

Of course deep in 4-4-2 he usually allows the game to pass him by but when allowed to get forward he usually is very effective.

Not a problem i think we have tbh, the problem we have is well established but it isn't not having someone like Nolan.