Lack of Investment

Crumpy Gunt

tbh I just get frustrated when the negativity goes too far, which it frequently seems to. Getting upset about the transfer window before it's even over, for example... just doesn't seem like people are giving the club a chance, and getting upset in advance, working on the assumption that things will be bad. It doesn't seem fair. I'll be properly and very rationally p*ssed off if Feb 1 comes round and we've managed to perform badly in two transfer windows on the trot, but I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram until that's actually happened... Don't understand how people can have that attitude on the 17th.

Why the self-enforced "2 windows on the trot" rule?  You can't be p*ssed off at 1 transfer window and expect them to correct it sharpish?  As it stands, we're a player up and a player down.  We need at least 2 top players in before February 1st.

And why have they ignored the centre back position since Sol Campbell left?  This is the FOURTH window since then and we've basically chanced our luck with 3 centre halves (1 top class, 1 ropey if you're being charitable, and 1 with a proven track record of spending half of most seasons recovering from injury) and also a jack-of-all-trades in James Perch who has filled in at times.

Since we got promoted Mike Williamson has played in the league 29 times, 22 times and 17 times so far this season.  That's not good enough.  You seem to be blinded by the fact that we've managed to bring a few good players in, while conveniently forgetting that a lot of the other players are some of the worst s**** we've ever had in the top division.  Why did we go 1 window without replacing Sol Campbell, never mind get on to the 4th window with the manager saying he doubted we could afford both a striker and a centre half?

There's a chronic lack of investment, even a net spend of around £10m a season would have plugged the gaps and kept us ticking over, but we always seem to find excuses for not spending any money whatsoever and leaving ourselves criminally short.  I'm f***ing sick of turning up to matches and watching Shola, Williamson et al, the fact that you're not can only be down to you being such an all-seeing, all-knowing, NUFC fan-hating bore of a person.

Nailed it

This talk of being pissed off on the 1st of Feb is absurd. You just know 1st of Feb will soon be summer and then on and on it goes

tbh I just get frustrated when the negativity goes too far, which it frequently seems to. Getting upset about the transfer window before it's even over, for example... just doesn't seem like people are giving the club a chance, and getting upset in advance, working on the assumption that things will be bad. It doesn't seem fair. I'll be properly and very rationally p*ssed off if Feb 1 comes round and we've managed to perform badly in two transfer windows on the trot, but I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram until that's actually happened... Don't understand how people can have that attitude on the 17th.

Why the self-enforced "2 windows on the trot" rule?  You can't be p*ssed off at 1 transfer window and expect them to correct it sharpish?  As it stands, we're a player up and a player down in this window.  We need at least 2 top players in before February 1st.  Last summer we lost players from the squad and the wage bill but as usual decided to take the risk and test the bare minimum we could get away with.

And why have they ignored the centre back position since Sol Campbell left?  This is the FOURTH window since then and we've basically chanced our luck with 3 centre halves (1 top class, 1 ropey if you're being charitable, and 1 with a proven track record of spending half of most seasons recovering from injury) and also a jack-of-all-trades in James Perch who has filled in at times.

Since we got promoted Mike Williamson has played in the league 29 times, 22 times and 17 times so far this season.  That's not good enough.  You seem to be blinded by the fact that we've managed to bring a few good players in, while conveniently forgetting that a lot of the other players are some of the worst s**** we've ever had in the top division.  Why did we go 1 window without replacing Sol Campbell, never mind get on to the 4th window with the manager saying he doubted we could afford both a striker and a centre half?

The irony is that most or all of the good signings that you're clinging on to for the sake of your argument will leave out of frustration at the lack of even moderate ambition shown, the fact they're playing with s**** players every week, battling relegation.  And that's without the manager issues.

There's a chronic lack of investment, even a net spend of around £10m a season would have plugged the gaps and kept us ticking over, but we always seem to find excuses for not spending any money whatsoever and leaving ourselves criminally short.  I'm f***ing sick of turning up to matches and watching Shola, Williamson et al, the fact that you're not can only be down to you being such an all-seeing, all-knowing, NUFC fan-hating bore of a person.

:clap:

So what are everyone's expectations of what constitutes a decent transfer window from here?

I've already said I think we need a striker and a CB - if we get them (and one of them isn't David N'Gog :lol:) will people be generally satisfied?

they are simply in this club for what they can get out of it.

they will invest the bare minimum to keep us in the prem for the tv/ prize money.

they will look at the parachute payments and income in the championship- then decide whats worth spending to preserve premiership status.

they will rely on lots of transfer stories that amount to nothing to keep fans believing- and buying season tickets.

If the fans get wise and stop buying season tickets, they will come up with different ticketing prices/ deals to find the new fans,

eventually they will have sucked the fans and club dry.

edit- they can do this due to the profile the club has from the sjh days, after long enough of this ownership- that will have evaporated, and the wider fan base moved on to the new top clubs.

they will invest the bare minimum to keep us in the prem for the tv/ prize money.

they will look at the parachute payments and income in the championship- then decide whats worth spending to preserve premiership status.

they will rely on lots of transfer stories that amount to nothing to keep fans believing- and buying season tickets.

If the fans get wise and stop buying season tickets, they will come up with different ticketing prices/ deals to find the new fans,

edit- they can do this due to the profile the club has from the sjh days, after long enough of this ownership- that will have evaporated, and the wider fan base moved on to the new top clubs.

Spot on CP - Ashley and Co are just using NUFC as an advertising vehicle for Sports Direct.

They will suck the club dry eventually, and destroy all the loyalty that fans had in it...I honestly believe they are going to be the ruination of Newcastle United by their actions..or lack of them.

glad there's a dedicated thread now for everyone to gather together and whinge themselves into a depression over this

f*** off man.  Tit.

Has anyone thought this guy might be an Ashley/Llambias troll ?

Agree. Good assessment.

There's no sporting agenda. We will suffer because of that.

Guest Wally_McFool

.. just doesn't seem like people are giving the club a chance, and getting upset in advance, working on the assumption that things will be bad. It doesn't seem fair.

I've been giving the club a chance since the mid fuckin' sixties and the fuckers still keep letting me down :D

Still got a really bad feeling about this right now. Hopefully we sign someone under the radar ala Jonas.

Can't see it happening. Hopefully atleast we'll pick up some points with Cabaye and HBA back. (HBA soon)

We were set on this slippery path as soon as the 10-year season ticket scheme was announced. Why else would you voluntarily forego a price rise? It's just a way of emotionally trapping fans- the only way you can get out without losing cash is to give notice with a good chunk of the current season still to run.

Its well documented the signings we need this window. The board can only be accurately Judged at the end of the window. However we won't ever get enough information about how transfer dealings take place to know whether their inability to get the necessary signings in quickly in the window is excusable. My suspicion is that it isn't, but, I have had more than enough of the amount of posts on here that just make assumptions and then masquerade them as fact (on both sides of the debate).

What we have been crying out for a considerable time is a window where we recruit about 5 squad players. Talk of a strong starting 11 is all well and good but we have systematically removed squad players and that has been to the detriment of the club for a significant period. The sheer lack of depth (or options) ought to be seen as neglect on behalf of the board.

So what are everyone's expectations of what constitutes a decent transfer window from here?

I've already said I think we need a striker and a CB - if we get them (and one of them isn't David N'Gog :lol:) will people be generally satisfied?

One of them won't be, but the other will be  :pow:

Spot on CP - Ashley and Co are just using NUFC as an advertising vehicle for Sports Direct.

They will suck the club dry eventually, and destroy all the loyalty that fans had in it...I honestly believe they are going to be the ruination of Newcastle United by their actions..or lack of them.

Suck the club dry? Chance would be a fine thing.  :lol:

He's put in more money than he'll likely see back after 20 years in charge, hell, he's got a job just getting back the loans he's currently not even charging interest on.

The only other way to get any money out is to sell, and he'll not get anywhere near to what he paid if he does what you say and slowly cripples the club leaving it hovering between leagues.

And hey, fuck only knows why they bother with the charity Foundation, or keep offering some of the more reasonable ticket schemes in the Premiership if they want to maximise profits.

Honestly, I can understand people feeling the people running the club are evil incarnate, but they're not total idiots.

Not at any cost, but it's in their best interest to see the club doing as well as it possibly can be, just as much as it is in all ours. They have made mistakes, and they may be doing things differently to how some of us would like (much like the government choosing austerity over investment), but to say their aim is run us into the ground is total unmitigated bollocks.

glad there's a dedicated thread now for everyone to gather together and whinge themselves into a depression over this

f*** off man.  Tit.

Has anyone thought this guy might be an Ashley/Llambias troll ?

What's he said that could be defined as trolling?

Guest tollemache

Why the self-enforced "2 windows on the trot" rule?  You can't be p*ssed off at 1 transfer window and expect them to correct it sharpish?  As it stands, we're a player up and a player down in this window.  We need at least 2 top players in before February 1st.  Last summer we lost players from the squad and the wage bill but as usual decided to take the risk and test the bare minimum we could get away with.

The irony is that most or all of the good signings that you're clinging on to for the sake of your argument will leave out of frustration at the lack of even moderate ambition shown, the fact they're playing with s**** players every week, battling relegation.  And that's without the manager issues.

I kind of started typing a careful response but then I got to your final paragraph so... no. Don't think I've set myself up as any more all-seeing or all-knowing than anyone else with an opinion on here, and if you're bored by me appealing for moderation rather than constantly raging at the board, then all you have to do is put me and the small number of other people (Ian W springs to mind) urging a little bit of restraint on your ignore list and you're sorted. I'm sorry you lost your s***.