Lack of Investment

Crumpy Gunt

Once again our lack of investment has cost us. Clearly we couldn't hope to match mighty Southampton and their side packed with superstars led by a world class manager.

i'd put s*** tactics in before the lack of investment, we have a team capable of winning the last 3 games.

Definitely.

Once again our lack of investment has cost us. Clearly we couldn't hope to match mighty Southampton and their side packed with superstars led by a world class manager.

i'd put shit tactics in before the lack of investment, we have a team capable of winning the last 3 games.

I was being sarcastic. I thought the reference to mighty Southampton might have given that away. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Some of those investments don't look so bad on the player side after today. Managing them well is a different matter.

Are you still banging this fucking drum man?

TRon does not agree that lack of investment is to blame for any of the problems we've had this season folks, just in case you hadn't heard him the previous ten times.

Fuck me.

Some of those investments don't look so bad on the player side after today. Managing them well is a different matter.

Are you still banging this fucking drum man?

TRon does not agree that lack of investment is to blame for any of the problems we've had this season folks, just in case you hadn't heard him the previous ten times.

Fuck me.

I was thinking of opening an entirely new thread to make the point but since this one was here....

i'd put s*** tactics in before the lack of investment, we have a team capable of winning the last 3 games.

Might be something in this one. If we switched to this before the West Ham game, or even reacted straight after that with this we might have done better. Not suggesting we'd have won them all but even if we'd picked up 4-5 points in that time which would have still been poor, we'd be looking decent in mid table at least within a win or two of Everton and the like.

• 1 month later...

Had hoped more would have been done by this time. Can't see us starting to identifying new targets Nd going after them at this stage of the window.

Debuchy & Remy were probably it, Colo is a unexpected situation which I'm sure they are pinning their hopes of talking him out of a move, if he goes it'll be Taylor & Willo for the season, or until Taylor breaks down again.

Have we got anything else planned? Fucking awful season, if anything I expect another sale.

Debuchy and Remy by the half way point would have been acceptable imo, and i don't blame the club for what happened with the latter. But if we're still in this position on the 1st Feb it'll be totally inexcusable.

Guest tollemache

glad there's a dedicated thread now for everyone to gather together and whinge themselves into a depression over this

Howay man, there's offering your views and there's being a patronising twat.

Perfect example is you calling people "silly" and "daft" when they're rightly concerned for the club, giving perfectly articulated and reasoned arguments for whatever dismay they may have.  But no, the argument is just "silly" or "daft".  It's very condescending, and already it's as tedious reading this shite on here as it was on my Facebook.

But you know best, better than than the majority, all of the time.  I understand.  Anyway, I'm off to bed.

Guest tollemache

Yeah, sometimes I'll highlight what I think is wrong with an argument and describe it as 'daft'. Anyone's free to do the same to me and I'll try to tell them why I don't think it's daft. If you like I'll moderate my language - is 'erroneous' ok?

If you'd rather this was a place where the majority opinion went uncontested and you all just gathered and congratulated yourselves on having the bastards at the club bang to rights, then you're maybe misunderstanding what a forum is. It's not the biscuit game, for example.

glad there's a dedicated thread now for everyone to gather together and whinge themselves into a depression over this

You seem very obsessed over this negative/positive attitude thing toward Newcastle. The reality is that the current situation is negative and attitudes relating to the situation reflect that.

If you feel the need so strongly to be positive in the face of rationally negative situations you cannot control (i.e sticking your head in the sand) I suggest you find some things in life (things you can control) to be positive about.

:thup:

Guest tollemache

tbh I just get frustrated when the negativity goes too far, which it frequently seems to. Getting upset about the transfer window before it's even over, for example... just doesn't seem like people are giving the club a chance, and getting upset in advance, working on the assumption that things will be bad. It doesn't seem fair. I'll be properly and very rationally pissed off if Feb 1 comes round and we've managed to perform badly in two transfer windows on the trot, but I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram until that's actually happened... Don't understand how people can have that attitude on the 17th.

Halfway through the month, glaring holes in the team to fill and we sign one player and lose out on another on the 11th hour right after we had some decent feel-good and momentum. Our captain could quit the club or stay; we haven't a clue. We are in a s*** position in the table and in poor form. We have 2 very winnable games and not a clue how we'll do that given the previously said form.

Yeah, I think anyone who wants to be concerned has every reason to be concerned right now man.

I'd love to be real happy and optimistic like I always am about things, but Im struggling with that like many of us are.

Guest tollemache

edit: bit tired, basically posted my last post again without realising.

basically, I know there are reasons to be concerned but as far as investment goes, I don't think it makes sense to pass judgment at least until the very end of the window.

We have signed some very good/promising players. We have still neglected some areas to an unforgivable degree.

And of the players that are held up on a high pedestal, the more established purple players ie. Ben Arfa & Cabaye.

Considerable amount of untapped potential still lies in wait.

edit: bit tired, basically posted my last post again without realising.

basically, I know there are reasons to be concerned but as far as investment goes, I don't think it makes sense to pass judgment at least until the very end of the window.

Heard the same thing in August.

Broadly agree with that - after the Reading game (which we should be able to win with what we have available) there's a 10 day gap to Villa at which point the window is almost shut anyway, so we'll have the perfect opportunity to conclude some business.

Think we'll definitely get a striker and a CB, but they may be stop-gap options in the Danny Graham mould rather than our top targets.

If we don't then everyone will be rightly pissed off - fwiw I think we would still have enough in the squad to stay up, but would be one serious injury to Cisse away from shit creek.

tbh I just get frustrated when the negativity goes too far, which it frequently seems to. Getting upset about the transfer window before it's even over, for example... just doesn't seem like people are giving the club a chance, and getting upset in advance, working on the assumption that things will be bad. It doesn't seem fair. I'll be properly and very rationally pissed off if Feb 1 comes round and we've managed to perform badly in two transfer windows on the trot, but I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram until that's actually happened... Don't understand how people can have that attitude on the 17th.

Why the self-enforced "2 windows on the trot" rule?  You can't be pissed off at 1 transfer window and expect them to correct it sharpish?  As it stands, we're a player up and a player down in this window.  We need at least 2 top players in before February 1st.  Last summer we lost players from the squad and the wage bill but as usual decided to take the risk and test the bare minimum we could get away with.

And why have they ignored the centre back position since Sol Campbell left?  This is the FOURTH window since then and we've basically chanced our luck with 3 centre halves (1 top class, 1 ropey if you're being charitable, and 1 with a proven track record of spending half of most seasons recovering from injury) and also a jack-of-all-trades in James Perch who has filled in at times.

Since we got promoted Mike Williamson has played in the league 29 times, 22 times and 17 times so far this season.  That's not good enough.  You seem to be blinded by the fact that we've managed to bring a few good players in, while conveniently forgetting that a lot of the other players are some of the worst shite we've ever had in the top division.  Why did we go 1 window without replacing Sol Campbell, never mind get on to the 4th window with the manager saying he doubted we could afford both a striker and a centre half?

The irony is that most or all of the good signings that you're clinging on to for the sake of your argument will leave out of frustration at the lack of even moderate ambition shown, the fact they're playing with shite players every week, battling relegation.  And that's without the manager issues.

There's a chronic lack of investment, even a net spend of around £10m a season would have plugged the gaps and kept us ticking over, but we always seem to find excuses for not spending any money whatsoever and leaving ourselves criminally short.  I'm fucking sick of turning up to matches and watching Shola, Williamson et al, the fact that you're not can only be down to you being such an all-seeing, all-knowing, NUFC fan-hating bore of a person.

Give over ffs :lol: It's not like this is the first window where there's been serious question marks is it? Also past experience shows that this board will quite happily stick rather than twist re signing players, even in dire circumstances....remember jan window in 2008/9 season? We went down after that window. Even if we are halfway through this window people have every bloody right to be worried.