Transition

polpolpol

Guest tollemache

I'm open to the possibility that he's just not very good at putting together a more positive team, but I don't think you can reasonably draw that conclusion from what we've seen so far. Not quite yet, and maybe not for another season or so.

Had quoted you before you added this bit, but he's had two years already now man. That's a lifetime as far as managing NUFC goes!

My main concern about this season and the way we've been playing is that by the time "another season or so" comes we'll have lost a few of our key players and we'll find ourselves back to square one again. I may be doing Graeme Carr a disservice here, though.

Unfortunately it is a lifetime in NUFC terms, yes, and that is not a good thing. He's had two years but look at the situation we've been in. Season one he came in half way through and did ok. Season two he did extraordinarily well while making no secret of his intention to start off low-risk and then try to develop things. He did that. This is the first part of his tenure that hasn't gone to plan.

Yes, we'll lose our key players, hopefully at a profit, and have to sign others. That's our lot for the next few seasons, most likely and there's not a lot necessarily wrong with that.

:thup:

I'm like you at the end of the day, albeit with less faith in the manager and his philosophies. Happy to be proven wrong though and as such I'm willing to stick with it as the past few years have brought far more good than bad with them on the pitch. If he can make it through this period and turn us around then I'll be delighted as it will represent real progress for us as a club and provide us with even more of the much-vaunted "stability" that could actually see us fulfilling some of our potential.

Guest tollemache

Spot effing on. I'm no blinkered Pardew fan by any means but he's earned some respect and a bit of time.

Must say I thought when I signed up here that it'd be a nest of fickleness but there are a lot of sensible chaps about

Spot effing on. I'm no blinkered Pardew fan by any means but he's earned some respect and a bit of time.

Must say I thought when I signed up here that it'd be a nest of fickleness but there are a lot of sensible chaps about

:lol: If you're basing that on our countless arguments on Facebook then you can piss off you little tyke.

Guest tollemache

Can only conclude that you're easier to wind up than the average NUFC fan

I haven't fully worked the pro-Ashley angle yet though

This isn't another member of the Wallsend Mafia, is it?

Haha not sure actually, don't think so.

Back to the thread, it would be interesting to see a similar analysis of 1 of the games last year where we played well and won. Work out whether being poor in transition is a symptom or a cause of our bad form.

Can only conclude that you're easier to wind up than the average NUFC fan

I haven't fully worked the pro-Ashley angle yet though

:lol: Aye, you've been given an easy ride so far like. Tbf I can't make an NUFC-related post on Facebook anymore without it being infiltrated, it's not so easy to ignore.

Guest tollemache

I suspect you'd see the same in terms of committing players forward but then that's not necessarily a sign of being bad at transitions.

:lol: If you're basing that on our countless arguments on Facebook then you can piss off you little tyke.

What's the crack with you two? :lol:

Guest malandro

Some great posts in this thread. It makes me feel like a total woman though, always realise how s**** I am at analysing football when I read other peoples' comments in threads like these.

Blx. This thread is just an exercise in making something simple sound complicated. Wrapping up an aspect of play that supporters have instinctively understood since football began in language that makes it sound like some kind of new intellectual insight into how football is played.

It's not that the views expressed are without merit and it is an interesting read, but at the end of the day it's just about how teams react when possession changes hands, and I'm sure you have watched enough games to understand what is going on in this respect as well as anybody.... even if you are a woman ;-)

Some great posts in this thread. It makes me feel like a total woman though, always realise how s**** I am at analysing football when I read other peoples' comments in threads like these.

Blx. This thread is just an exercise in making something simple sound complicated. Wrapping up an aspect of play that supporters have instinctively understood since football began in language that makes it sound like some kind of new intellectual insight into how football is played.

It's not that the views expressed are without merit and it is an interesting read, but at the end of the day it's just about how teams react when possession changes hands, and I'm sure you have watched enough games to understand what is going on in this respect as well as anybody.... even if you are a woman ;-)

I do agree with this. Far too complicated a way to state that we're bad at counter attacking. That'll happen with such a slow team with no attacking threat in the middle of midfield.

Over-complicating football is a pet hate I'm constantly fire fighting.

Quick attacking play after a transition depends on players having the skill to pass the ball forward quickly and accurately, with the faith that the players making the forward runs can bring the ball under control when played at them with pace.

When you pick a midfield of Tiote, Perch, Jonas and Anita is it any wonder that our counter-attacking is so weak. A lot of passes end up designed to retain possession rather than shift it forward into dangerous positions. Opposing players know that putting our players under just a little bit of pressure will be enough to force them into a negative pass.

Over the last few weeks, it's begun to feel like the rest of the league has been moving forward, and we're getting left behind.

The January transfer window will be crucial.

Guest malandro

I do agree with this. Far too complicated a way to state that we're bad at counter attacking. That'll happen with such a slow team with no attacking threat in the middle of midfield.

Over-complicating football is a pet hate I'm constantly fire fighting.

I like the depth of people's interest in the game you find on here, but football is played on grass not a spreadsheet and appreciating whats happening on the field of play doesn't require a Phd in Chaos Theory.

And incidentally, broken record time, a secondary striker with pace and energy that could link with the midfield would make a difference to our counter-attacking play.

I don't think the main issue is the coaching. The balance of the squad, in both midfield and attack, doesn't look right. Particularly when we're without our best passer of the ball (Yohan) and our best runner with the ball. (Hatem)

At the level of a basic reaction to losing or gaining the ball, it shouldn't matter how unbalanced the squad is, who is missing, or how much 'pace' the side has. Professional footballers should be able to know where to run, and be bothered – even if they aren't 'fast' – to go there straight away in the transition.

One of the easiest transitions in the game is after defending a corner: all you have to do is get the defensive line out of the box; it's just running in a line up the pitch, yet we saunter out as if we're going to pick up a Sunday paper.

Guest Howaythetoon

At the level of a basic reaction to losing or gaining the ball, it shouldn't matter how unbalanced the squad is, who is missing, or how much 'pace' the side has. Professional footballers should be able to know where to run, and be bothered – even if they aren't 'fast' – to go there straight away in the transition.

One of the easiest transitions in the game is after defending a corner: all you have to do is get the defensive line out of the box; it's just running in a line up the pitch, yet we saunter out as if we're going to pick up a Sunday paper.

For me its down to poor coaching and a lack of confidence or trust in each other and the tactics being deployed.

Another pet hate of mine is when we are taking a corner and the ball gets cleared, what do our players do? They start getting back. What they should be doing is holding positions and making options for the man who will pick that cleared ball up. Often Simpson or Krul who just launch it back into an empty penalty box.

For me its down to poor coaching and a lack of confidence or trust in each other and the tactics being deployed.

Another pet hate of mine is when we are taking a corner and the ball gets cleared, what do our players do? They start getting back. What they should be doing is holding positions and making options for the man who will pick that cleared ball up. Often Simpson or Krul who just launch it back into an empty penalty box.

The players should be able and want to do it instinctively, and if they don't the coaches should be all over it - a failure on both sides.

It's certainly quite weird that we can see so many basic mistakes being repeated. The tendency of professional sport is towards the elimination of all these wasted seconds and lost inches, but we are constantly giving away yards, about which the staff seem indifferent.