Other clubs' kits (2024/25)

Toon Hoser

As a filthy foreigner, when I see the Union Jack and English flag, I now automatically think the people waving them are racist/Brexiters. They might not be, but that is what I will think. Feels somewhat similar to when I see the Confederate flag, but not as bad - yet.

That said, if I enter someone’s home here in Norway and they have the Norwegian flag on their wall or something - they’re also automatically racists in my head. So our flag is being ruined by a minority fucking shit up with how they use the flag as well.

All about how it’s used.

Using the flag on a flag post during national holidays / personal events - okay.

Shaving your head and walking down the street with the flag as a superman cape - not okay.

Having minor flag related interior items - borderline okay pending on time of year / context.

Having a flag nailed onto your living room wall - not okay.

Once the not okay people are more visible than the okay people, the context of the flag changes from national pride to racist propaganda.

I'm with Stifler like. It's not a fair association at all like, but it's there unfortunately.

There's just something kind of toxic about our nationalism, I've always felt this way. I guess to me, personally, it's that it always seems less a celebration of what we are and what's good about us as a people rather an expression of our past dominance of various parts of the world/people.

As a filthy foreigner, when I see the Union Jack and English flag, I now automatically think the people waving them are racist/Brexiters. They might not be, but that is what I will think. Feels somewhat similar to when I see the Confederate flag, but not as bad - yet.

That said, if I enter someone’s home here in Norway and they have the Norwegian flag on their wall or something - they’re also automatically racists in my head. So our flag is being ruined by a minority fucking shit up with how they use the flag as well.

These are not the same.

Also, part of the reason why our national flag is so 'shocking' to some is because our country barely ever wants to bloody use it thanks to our new narrative of not wanting to offend people, be 'inclusive' and basically convince everyone that England is 'multi cultural' and not actually England. So, when groups like EDL hijack it then it's pretty much the only time people see the flag and as a result develop a direct correlation with the flag(s) and racists.

You're as much of a mong if you fly the European/EU flag as those idiots who have EDL on the St George's flag.

For 22 years of my 49 years on this planet I have lived in one of three different countries outside of the UK. I'm still and will always be very much an Englishman however, I'm very proud of that and I love our flags, especially the St George's cross, I do not associate it with any of these groups or movements. Having lived in both the US and Canada, there is a huge thing made about flying the flag, you see maple leaves here on practically everything Canadian. As a nation we shouldn't be embarrassed to show our colours, if these groups are making you feel that way then ask yourself why are you letting them, it's not theirs to mold to their will or agenda.

The world cup is fast approaching, there will be lots of English flag floating around the country and rightly so, if the team does well that will only increase the numbers, I feel sorry for you if you can't take pride in that.

For 22 years of my 49 years on this planet I have lived in one of three different countries outside of the UK. I'm still and will always be very much an Englishman however, I'm very proud of that and I love our flags, especially the St George's cross, I do not associate it with any of these groups or movements. Having lived in both the US and Canada, there is a huge thing made about flying the flag, you see maple leaves here on practically everything Canadian. As a nation we shouldn't be embarrassed to show our colours, if these groups are making you feel that way then ask yourself why are you letting them, it's not theirs to mold to their will or agenda.

The world cup is fast approaching, there will be lots of English flag floating around the country and rightly so, if the team does well that will only increase the numbers, I feel sorry for you if you can't take pride in that.

All about the current context and historical context. Canada (and the US) have had the flag thing going on for ages. When I did WannabeZ, which was to be set in Oslo even though we shot it in LA, our set designer wanted to put a big ass Norwegian flag on the wall of one of the locations. Holy fuck that would've made every Norwegian watching it immediately think the main character was a massive racist :lol: However, if it was a US flag for a US character, we'd all think he was just an American and not think he was racist. (A confederate flag, however...)

These are not the same.

Whilst I know they're not, well, not really. They absolutely are portrayed as such. Every single time our news interview someone who voted for Brexit, they're a fucking racist. It gets imprinted in your mind as the same thing. There's no balance there because a) non-racist Brexiters aren't attention hungry, b) non-racist Brexiters don't make for good TV or c) they don't fit the narrative the news want to portray.

Our PM met Theresa May today, and there were some interviews with people off the street about Brexit and how they thought it would influence the British economy. All the people interviewed essentially said they would just be happy if the UK controlled immigration so immigrants didn't take UK jobs. Then asked about if they thought the 20k Norwegians living in the UK should stay, most just said that Norwegians share their culture so they wouldn't want them to go... What culture? Being white? :lol:

For me, for the Norwegian flag to not invoke feelings of the use being racially motivated, the use must be on official / traditional times and/or during sporting events. If someone shows up at a party with a Norwegian flag pin on their shirt, I'll automatically assume they're racist. It's sadly just how things are these days. Even more so with the UK/English flag, as I am not familiar with the official / traditional times of use, so with the news peppering me with racists groups using it - it generally now evokes feelings that any use is racially motivated, even though I know it's not.

It more depends on the usage, and the individual country.

In Australia, it's a reasonably common thing for young men to wear the flag as a cape at sporting events - but you will be marked as a bogan (white trash-ish) redneck. Usually shirt off and pissed as a newt, which can always fuel jingoism and aggressive nationalism.

But it's not often you see a flag in daily life, and it's usually a bit weird when you do. Former PM Tony Abbot used to have a heap of them on stands behind him when he gave briefings, but he was a redneck cunt and so he's not defying stereotypes there!

on our house here in the US we have 2 flags flying atop of our garage the union jack for me and the stars and stripes for her, we get people saying it's great all the time. Flags fly outside people's houses here very regularly it's a symbol of patriotism  not some racist stance

on our house here in the US we have 2 flags flying atop of our garage the union jack for me and the stars and stripes for her, we get people saying it's great all the time. Flags fly outside people's houses here very regularly it's a symbol of patriotism  not some racist stance

...like the Confederacy flags scattered around every state.

Flags are far more commonly used in the US than in the UK, though. It's typical for somebody who is/was in the Forces to fly the relevant flag along with the Stars and Stripes. Occasionally I remind myself to get a Union flag to fly along with our US flag, but it clearly doesn't matter all that much to me as I've been here nearly ten years without one. We used to fly an Australian flag, but we rarely fly our England flag as it has "Aston Villa" across the middle. My wife sometimes tries to sneak it up without me noticing.

They're national flags, all countries have them. They aren't racist symbols. All those racists attending the World Cup this summer, tut tut.

I feel you’ve not even read any posts. They aren’t originally racist, they have been given a racist context due to how they have been used and which groups have «claimed» them in the media spotlight. See my listing of proper/not proper way of using flags.

All about how it’s used.

Using the flag on a flag post during national holidays / personal events - okay.

Shaving your head and walking down the street with the flag as a superman cape - not okay.

Having minor flag related interior items - borderline okay pending on time of year / context.

Once the not okay people are more visible than the okay people, the context of the flag changes from national pride to racist propaganda.

What utter tripe :lol:

All about how it’s used.

What utter tripe :lol:

I’d have no problem imagining you having a flag on your living room wall, so your disagreement only aids my viewpoint.

Guest firetotheworks

Everything you've listed there is fine though, it's your prejudice that's the problem. I have the same prejudice so I'm not saying I don't understand it, but you can't be projecting your prejudice onto the people doing it, like. It's your problem not theirs.

It's been hijacked by the right wing nationalists without a doubt. How many normal people do you know that roll about with a flag at any point bar the football, and anyone who is obsessed with displaying it is 99 times out of a hundred a complete weirdo. Rangers is definitely not a good example of non nationalistic flag displays.

I'm not putting mine up anyway because this country has gone to the dogs and the islamic sharia law have said you can't. A total disgrace, share if you agree.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

CE2338_21_model.jpg?sh=600&strip=false&sw=600

This little bitch just arrived - adidas reissue of the Colombia 1990 shirt, no.10 on the back

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Apparently you get 20% off with this code at adidas at the minute:

94Y6-C4BZ-VEVL-3UE6U

Guest firetotheworks

It's been hijacked by the right wing nationalists without a doubt. How many normal people do you know that roll about with a flag at any point bar the football, and anyone who is obsessed with displaying it is 99 times out of a hundred a complete weirdo. Rangers is definitely not a good example of non nationalistic flag displays.

I'm not putting mine up anyway because this country has gone to the dogs and the islamic sharia law have said you can't. A total disgrace, share if you agree.

Quoting this like you didn't post an IG Story with your England flag draped over your sofa less than a week ago. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

I don't disagree with the hijacked connotation like, I think it's proper weird as well regardless and I also make the same leap to 'probably a bit racist' in my head, but that's still me being a presumptuous idiot in the same way I am when I make the same leap to 'probably a weirdo' if someone's religious. Neither of us would dare make that same leap in judgement about other character traits though, guaranteed.