Lost Brian Clough interview - well worth a listen

Big Geordie

One thing that pissed me off about the Damned United was how they treat Revie, regardless of what you think of him that scene at the end which is pretty much "Clough went on to win 2 European Cups with Nottingham where as Don Revie disappeared into obscurity somewhere in the Middle East lol" was pathetic.

Sadly the booze utterly ruined his mind. Best book about him I've read is 'Provided You Don't Kiss Me' by Duncan Hamilton (who also wrote 'The Footballer Who Could Fly' which has a lot of Newcastle stuff in there, especially on Wor Jackie), really very much worth a read for anyone who wants to know more about Cloughie.

Fantastic read, really is.

Hamilton worked with Clough for 20 years, it has a fascinating insight.

Revie disgraced himself though, with leaving the England job for big money in the middle east.  Huge scandal at the time.

Whilst making an absolute pigs ear of the England job.

Oh yes. Tried to repeat what he had done at Leeds, with England. Supermac was one of those who 'suffered' under Revie's reign. I don't think he speaks very highly of him to this day.

Revie disgraced himself though, with leaving the England job for big money in the middle east.  Huge scandal at the time.

Whilst making an absolute pigs ear of the England job.

Oh yes. Tried to repeat what he had done at Leeds, with England. Supermac was one of those who 'suffered' under Revie's reign. I don't think he speaks very highly of him to this day.

His Leeds side was possibly the most cynically dirty I've ever seen too. Cloughie's approach to the Leeds job was so understandable if probably a tad premature.

My old man speaks very negatively to this day, with regards to that Leeds side - 'Dirty Bastards' is the term he uses. :cool:

That said, you can't deny what Revie did with the club - took it from Division 2 to almost European Champions. Both he and Clough (at Derby and Forest) were backed to the hilt by their boards and got success. If only Newcastle had been ran similarly at the time instead of being used as a cash-cow by Westwood, Seymour and the McKeags.

I think it's less that, it's more the awful media blowing everything up and the amount of player power that exists too. Anyone with half a brain went on tele and told it pretty straight they'd be shouted down as a weirdo and hounded out by the media and their own players.There are oddities but the personality has been drained out ever since sky made every game as bombastic as the battle of hastings and everyone in it as highly paid as roman emporers

bit odd for me to complain as I've only been a fan in this era really but it's hard not to see so much as patently ridiculous and read up about history and get a little sad.

My old man speaks very negatively to this day, with regards to that Leeds side - 'Dirty Bastards' is the term he uses. :cool:

That said, you can't deny what Revie did with the club - took it from Division 2 to almost European Champions. Both he and Clough (at Derby and Forest) were backed to the hilt by their boards and got success. If only Newcastle had been ran similarly at the time instead of being used as a cash-cow by Westwood, Seymour and the McKeags.

Clough himself said how good himself and Taylor could have been with Newcastle. He would regularly complain about Forest attendances and would use as a barometer of crowd success, so to speak.

He did have an interview with the club but decided against taking the job :undecided:

His consecutive european cup wins with Forest is an achievement I doubt will ever be bettered. You can argue different time when spending was more level all you want it was still preposterous.

Would have been great here but when was he interviewed? A substantial part of his career it seems he was in decline.

As for Don Revie's Leeds, got to hate them...little bit of you has to like them too, winning the league being dirty bastards in Real Madrid's strip :lol:

His consecutive european cup wins with Forest is an achievement I doubt will ever be bettered. You can argue different time when spending was more level all you want it was still preposterous.

Would have been great here but when was he interviewed? A substantial part of his career it seems he was in decline.

As for Don Revie's Leeds, got to hate them...little bit of you has to like them too, winning the league being dirty bastards in Real Madrid's strip :lol:

IIRC i think it was twice, once before he took over at Forest so 1975 ish?

And again i think around 85/86 (yes he wason the decline then, but he still got Forest to about 5 cup finals after this period, winning two! Better than what we had in this period)

Clough himself said how good himself and Taylor could have been with Newcastle. He would regularly complain about Forest attendances and would use as a barometer of crowd success, so to speak.

He did have an interview with the club but decided against taking the job :undecided:

Was that when Joe Harvey was sacked and they brought in Gordon Lee? Never in a million years would the board have taken Clough on.

Was that when Joe Harvey was sacked and they brought in Gordon Lee? Never in a million years would the board have taken Clough on.

Such a fucking shame how short sighted they were. A guy who had won the League Championship 3 years before with lowly Derby County (what an achievement).

On a slightly different note

It makes me laugh when reading Clough's autobiography, that he talks about the club's odds for the league title being wild outsiders with 33/1 in the 79 (the year he won, with a newly promoted club).

Nowadays those odds would be about 1000/1 :lol:

God football is so shit now