Lost Brian Clough interview - well worth a listen

Big Geordie

Guest Howaythetoon

The man's a legend, I'll give that a listen tomorrow. Cheers.

I read a book a few years back, cannot remember the title but there was some bits about Clough and Newcastle, our board basically bottled his appointment apparently and Clough was keen to come here.

Mind, in the Clough vs Revie clips, he comes across as a right numptie. Revie came across very well.

Imagine managers doing that today? :lol:

Love out like this me. Today's game is so boring compared to generations past and I say that as someone who didn't get to witness it. Even the early 90s Premiership pisses all over today's Premier League.

Just think, Clough won Forest titles and European Cups while half cut. What a man :D

I think it's less that, it's more the awful media blowing everything up and the amount of player power that exists too. Anyone with half a brain went on tele and told it pretty straight they'd be shouted down as a weirdo and hounded out by the media and their own players.There are oddities but the personality has been drained out ever since sky made every game as bombastic as the battle of hastings and everyone in it as highly paid as roman emporers

bit odd for me to complain as I've only been a fan in this era really but it's hard not to see so much as patently ridiculous and read up about history and get a little sad.

:clap:

Amazing character with some amazing achievements. Unfortunately, drunk as a skunk on the occasion of that talk-in.

I've read a lot about him. He has the most amazing record of over-achievement as a manager and I've often wondered how he did it.

I think he could only handle relationships where he was in a position of power or authority. He clashed incessantly with Directors and spent a lot of time cutting players, journos and members of the public down to size. Once he'd established that domineering position, he could be kind and considerate, but only from a position of strength. It's why he couldn't cope at Leeds and would probably have made a hash of the England job.

But with that strong will of his, I don't think there's every been a manager who was so good at sending his players out with the right levels of focus and confidence.

Taylor made Clough and the latter was never the same after they had their falling out (when Peter Taylor went to manage Derby)  Clough's achievements with Forest will never happen again, such is modern football. Clough was clearly extremely arrogant, but he was real character and something which is lacking today where everything in the media is micro-managed so as not to offend anyone.

Taylor made Clough and the latter was never the same after they had their falling out (when Peter Taylor went to manage Derby)  Clough's achievements with Forest will never happen again, such is modern football. Clough was clearly extremely arrogant, but he was real character and something which is lacking today where everything in the media is micro-managed so as not to offend anyone.

They both needed each other in fairness. (Taylor failed miserably at Derby County)

But tbf to Clough he did win trophies without Taylor.

That Hamilton book is excellent in regard to the strained relationship they had at the end of their time together at Forest. They wouldn't even talk to each other and had offices at the other end of the stadium

They both needed each other in fairness. (Taylor failed miserably at Derby County)

That Hamilton book is excellent in regard to the strained relationship they had at the end of their time together at Forest. They wouldn't even talk to each other and had offices at the other end of the stadium

It wasn't so much Taylor going on his own back to Derby, that ruined their friendship, it was the fact he poached some Forest first teamers to go with him. John Robertson, Archie Gemmill and Kenny Burns. All were past their best mind. Taylor failed miserably at Derby whilst Clough had a mediocre period at Forest with some terrible big money signings, Ian Wallace , Justin Fashanu etc. He did have a successful period late 80s winning the League Cup a couple of times, but never challenged for the title again of course.

It wasn't so much Taylor going on his own back to Derby, that ruined their friendship, it was the fact he poached some Forest first teamers to go with him. John Robertson, Archie Gemmill and Kenny Burns. All were past their best mind. Taylor failed miserably at Derby whilst Clough had a mediocre period at Forest with some terrible big money signings, Ian Wallace , Justin Fashanu etc. He did have a successful period late 80s winning the League Cup a couple of times, but never challenged for the title again of course.

The first problem arose when Taylor wrote an autobiography called 'With Clough by Taylor', an autobiography which was largely based on Taylor's work with Clough. He did not consult with or tell Clough that he was writing the book at the time. This really p*ssed Clough off and it started to wear thin after that.

But yes when he found out about John Robertson being signed behind his back he was very upset and said he'd never talk to him again. He did end up buying Robertson back i believe.

Fashanu was actually bought after Taylor recommended him, and it was clear that his scouting ability had deteriorated. This also strained the relationship too

Clough and Taylor had a strange relationship. Beneath the bluster, Clough was quite insecure, and a loner. He needed someone to support him and bounce ideas off. At the same time, he needed to be the boss, so there was quite a power struggle between them which dated back many years.

Clough was able to manage without Taylor, but I suspect the strain of it was a major factor in his transition from heavy drinker to alcoholic.

Clough and Taylor had a strange relationship. Beneath the bluster, Clough was quite insecure, and a loner. He needed someone to support him and bounce ideas off. At the same time, he needed to be the boss, so there was quite a power struggle between them which dated back many years.

Clough was able to manage without Taylor, but I suspect the strain of it was a major factor in his transition from heavy drinker to alcoholic.

I agree, Taylor was a piss head too mind, when he was a goalkeeper at Coventry, the stories of him being found in shop doorways mortal having cacked and pissed  his strides aren't singular unfortunately.

Guest tollemache

This is quite interesting as a window to the mid 80's but as far as Cloughie's performance goes, it's pretty sad to hear at times. He comes across as a witless pisshead, squeezing cheap (and occasionally nervous) laughs out of his audience with cheap lines and unable to hack it when challenged.

It's just got worse... god, when they start talking about his foul language and he gets mad.... He's a mess

That's harsh, he's not witless tbf and its probably harder than most think to hold a q&a in front a room of people like that.  We cannot see what's happening either so a lot of the outbursts could be tongue in cheek, body language etc. No doubt he's massively arrogant like, and a massive piss head.

Guest tollemache

I think it's clear enough from the way he's bawling and shouting people down, and the tone of the people asking questions at times, that he's not being particularly ironic. He doesn't seem to have the capacity for it, much as there are periods where he settles down and makes salient points about football.

http://www.forestfans.net/index.php?/topic/19097-lost-cloughie-qa-one-hour-he-ruins-everyone/

Lasts for about an hour. Well worth a listen for those that are old enough to remember 'Old Big Head'. The one manager (IMO) that Sir Alex cannot hold a candle to. Always had a lot of time for the man and his football. :)

Totally agree, BG - Cloughie sometimes got up my nose with his supposed arrogance, but boy, did he have a right to !

Ferguson would NEVER have achieved what Clough did whilst running 2 clubs who didn't have a smidgin of Man U's wealth...Cloughie once said that Fergie hadn't won 2 European Cups like him and he doubted that he ever would.....looks like he might be right and I hope so fervently.

Never hated Cloughie but have contempt for Ferguson so I hope BC 's record stays intact until Ferguson has gone.

Clough wasn't quite the same after his bust-up with Peter Taylor and he never got over the fact that Taylor died before they made it up...that was probably what made his drinking worse.

Still, a brilliant manager, players never knew where they stood with him and it was a crying shame that he never managed England at his peak...even more of a shame that he never managed us, and Peter Taylor once said that he often wondered what sort of crowds they would pull in at Newcastle if he and Cloughie were running the club...

One thing is for sure - we'd be a different kettle of fish now if they had(with someone like SJH as Chairman) and Fergie's achievements at Man U wouldn't look quite so good then...!

So many funny and quirky stories about this guy and his sayings..one of my faves is the one where he was asked why his book wasn't popular on Merseyside and he said ' well, young man, half of them can't read and the other half are too busy pinching hub-caps..!'

One reporter put well in his place !

I think it's clear enough from the way he's bawling and shouting people down, and the tone of the people asking questions at times, that he's not being particularly ironic. He doesn't seem to have the capacity for it, much as there are periods where he settles down and makes salient points about football.

There's interviews out there where he seems to do that sort of thing though, raise his voice and then smile as to let on that he's joking. I dunno, it was a weird Q & A anyway whichever way you look at it.

This is quite interesting as a window to the mid 80's but as far as Cloughie's performance goes, it's pretty sad to hear at times. He comes across as a witless pisshead, squeezing cheap (and occasionally nervous) laughs out of his audience with cheap lines and unable to hack it when challenged.

It's just got worse... god, when they start talking about his foul language and he gets mad.... He's a mess

Clough was always the same, pissed or not.  He's the best manager this country has produced while I've been watching football.

Here's an interview where he's clearly sober and he doesn't give a shit what he says.

The end of this video for example is what I mean, it's clearly the drink but I don't think there's any malice in it, just his completely off the wall personality.

It's an amazing reflection of his reputation and the power that he had built up at Forest that they couldn't get rid of him even when he was clearly in no fit state to do his job. It was rather sad that it had to end in relegation.

Still, he has a unique position in the history of the game. There was a time when every fan would dream that he would one day manage their club.

Clough was always the same, p*ssed or not.  He's the best manager this country has produced while I've been watching football.

Here's an interview where he's clearly sober and he doesn't give a s*** what he says.

Intersting he mentions TV being judge and jury on incidents in football matches...hmmm

Just had a listen and it was tough. He comes across as a twat, unfortunately - shouting and abusing the audience. When the man asked him about swearing around children, Clough was horrible to him. Great manager though.

That was fantastic :D Have to feel for Motty there really..

..And its sad to listen Pardew (or almost any current manager)after that. And think about the Twitter-crying from modern players if someone would be that honest about a player, as Clough is of Francis.