Moussa Sissoko

Skeletor
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quite blatantly. A DM's first responsibility is to be able to recieve the ball deep from the defence/keeper and play it. Tiote can't do that and as soon as opposing managers figured it out he became a liability for us.

Guest neesy111

Tiote is a liability for us in most games, it won't change as well as he doesn't have the game to adapt.

Haidara, Anita, Bigirimana and Tiote aren't top 10 PL players, man.

:kasper:

Youre prepared to write young Haidara off so easily? seriously? I think this lad has real potential.

Agree about Tiote fwiw. Happy to sell if any reasonable offers come in. Liability for me.

Haidara, Anita, Bigirimana and Tiote aren't top 10 PL players, man.

Not sure how you can be so dogmatic about the first two. Haidara is young and IMO has looked good whenever he has played, whilst Anita has talent for sure, and now that he's had a year to adapt may well prove to be an accomplished top 10 PL player. Also Bigi can't be written off yet surely?

The best "DM" we have is Cabaye, sadly speaking.

:pilko:

Tiote (when keeping it simple) is the better DM, Cabaye should never be used in that role imo.  Complete waste.

Is the fact Tiote's not particularly good on the ball one of the reasons Cabaye has to come so deep though to gain possession?

I still don't think Cabaye should ever be used as a DM, and that Tiote is better suited to the role.

What I'm saying though, is it not because Tiote's poor on the ball that Cabaye has to drop deep for it? If we got a "defensive midfielder" who was better on the ball then Cabaye might be able to play further forward.

Yeah that's pretty much it.  Can't see us bringing one in like, but it would be ideal as I'd much prefer Cabaye further forward helping to create.

I still want Cabaye to be the deepest of the midfielders, getting forward when he can but primarily receiving the ball and pinging it out wide.

That wouldn't just be a waste of his best attributes, it would also be asking him to do something he's not very good at (bit like Pardew does with absolutely everyone). Plus, chipped passes have never worked in this team. Especially with our total lack of wingers.

Cabaye needs to be the furthest midfielder forward. Anita or Sissoko should be the deepest. Tiote should be nowhere near the side.

Not sure an actual sitting DM is required, not many teams use them anymore.

Unless DM is a blanket term for ball winner? in which case i agree a midfielder who tactically astute, capable of getting forward and winning the ball would be nice.

I still want Cabaye to be the deepest of the midfielders, getting forward when he can but primarily receiving the ball and pinging it out wide.

That wouldn't just be a waste of his best attributes, it would also be asking him to do something he's not very good at (bit like Pardew does with absolutely everyone). Plus, chipped passes have never worked in this team. Especially with our total lack of wingers.

Cabaye needs to be the furthest midfielder forward. Anita or Sissoko should be the deepest. Tiote should be nowhere near the side.

Cabaye's best attributes are his vision and passing. The deeper midfield role is perfect for him in the PL - when (as you've alluded to) we find ourselves with 2 good wide players.

A defensive midfielder's first quality has to be dependability. If Tiote understands the role, which is covering the back 4, winning the ball and giving it to a colleague in close proximity without risk, then he'll be fine. It's a big "if" though. Because he takes far too many risks.

Most teams play with a midfielder who sits. 

Yeah but there's a huge difference.... ( which you tend to neglect everytime) most teams have a midfielder who is reliable positionally, passing, ability to get forward and winning the ball.

Tiote is none of these things and never has been.

Guest bimpy474

Tiote, Sissoke, Kebab etc, all have good points and bad but It's all conjecture while Pardew sticks to his tactics, it really is hard for most of them when Pardew plays a system and style that suits none of them.

Maybe he might change this coming season, we'd be able to evaluate their strengths and weaknessess a bit better, if they get played in the right positions playing football that suits them. The one thing for sure though, you can't transplant Tiote's brain for a better footballers. Sometimes footballers need intelligence and for all Tiote's good points, his main bad point is in his noggin.

There's some statistic about Pirlo makes a statisticly large number of tackles despite not really being a 'tackling' holding midfielder though playing in the position. He just reads the game so well. Problem with Tiote is that as imposing as he is he just runs about like a headless chicken and will always be on the backfoot defensively. A player who can read play (Anita has potential) will always do better at high levels than a player who's not thinking it through at all.

If Tiote can play more intelligently he'd be fine, but Anita is probably more likely to do that if given playing time imo.

Guest bimpy474

Tiote's never remotely looked like an intelligent player, though. Not even at his best.

Aye, with a great managers help he could be much better, and that's clutching at straws tbh. Watching him over the last 18 months or so it's become clear that his poor form isn't just down to Pardew, as much as i'd like it to be.

He lacks the intelligence and common sense to be top drawer imo.

Cabaye's best attributes are his vision and passing. The deeper midfield role is perfect for him in the PL - when (as you've alluded to) we find ourselves with 2 good wide players.

:thup: