Moussa Sissoko

Skeletor
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I can't see Pardew not starting Tiote. It could be a midlfield 3 of Sissoko, Tiote & Cabaye, with Ben Arfa and Gouffran roaming behind Cisse. Could even be Ben Arfa as a 10 behind Cisse & Gouffran.

This. Fluidity, interchangeable and flexible. Keep Cissé central. Let Hatem do whatever he pleases and have Gouffran moving.

Guest tollemache

I keep whingeing about the way we've got the players for Ancelotti's system don't I, but I can't help it

Debuchy         Colo       Mbiwa          Santon

Cabaye
              Sissoko                          Tiote

Ben Arfa

Gouffran
                                        Cisse

Let our two best players be the reference points for everything

I keep whingeing about the way we've got the players for Ancelotti's system don't I, but I can't help it

Debuchy         Colo       Mbiwa          Santon

Cabaye
              Sissoko                          Tiote

Ben Arfa

Gouffran
                                        Cisse

Let our two best players be the reference points for everything

If we played that i'd have Anita over Tiote. This season i'd have Anita over Tiote in every position tbf.

Guest tollemache

Tiote would thrive in that system. He'd be playing the Gattuso role, charging about covering a large amount of space and munching people to take pressure off Cabaye and protect the fullbacks, then staying back to conserve his energy and cover while the fullbacks bomb on. It puts a lot of emphasis on his strengths and almost completely absolves him from having to expose his weaknesses

Krul

Debuchy    Mbiwa    Colo    Santon

Cabaye          Tiote

Sissoko      Ben Arfa      Gouffran

Cisse

Our strongest possible line-up imo

Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Gouffran  all interchanging.

The strangest formation we played was the 4-3-3 under Keegan. It worked so well though!

Geremi.    Butt.      Barton

Owen

Martins.    Viduka

The strangest formation we played was the 4-3-3 under Keegan. It worked so well though!

Owen

Martins.    Viduka

It worked well because of who the manager was :pow:

Owen

Martins.    Viduka

Most formations will work when the manager knows how to implement it. Keegan had us playing good football then and beat Spurs away with it as well.

The players seemed to know there role and we were a lot more effective

Guest palnese

Owen

Martins.    Viduka

Most formations will work when the manager knows how to implement it. Keegan had us playing good football then and beat Spurs away with it as well.

I think Keegan just gave them confidence as individuals and as a team, and it paid off. Playing Owen deep was quite brilliant though.

Owen

Martins.    Viduka

I think Keegan just gave them confidence as individuals and as a team, and it paid off. Playing Owen deep was quite brilliant though.

Agree, it was a masterstroke to drop Owen back, looked a different player. strange no one else persisted with this like. He had lost the pace to get behind teams but had enough about him to sit behind forwards for us.

It was perfect in the fact that Martins pace meant the opposition defense sat deeper, Viduka was a brilliant target man and often drew two defenders, allowing Owen to ghost in to the box and finish, which for the most part was his only strength.

Guest tollemache

Any lack of width concerns?

Not remotely. In Ancelotti's diamond (or at least the idealised, symmetrical version of it), the fullbacks are wingers. The presence of a holding (or at least a very conservative) midfielder on both sides means they can and should bomb on constantly. Remember Ashley Cole under Ancelotti at Chelsea? Insanely advanced. It's a bit more nuanced than that though. Ancelotti explains it in terms of there being three players who can control the width of the game on each side. The strikers pull wide, the outer midfielders can also drift out, and obviously there's the wing-backs (which is what they are really). Each side's personnel is different of course, so the average Ancelotti diamond tends to be a bit lop-sided. Ours would probably end up with Debuchy attacking more than Santon and therefore having the more conservative centre mid (Tiote) on his side of the pitch, while the striker who pulled wide more often (Gouffran) would be over on Santon's side. So you might end up with:

Colo         Mbiwa         
                                            Santon
Debuchy         Cabaye

Tiote    
                             Sissoko
               Ben Arfa
                                    Gouffran
           Cisse

ah you get the idea

Think Ancelotti's league-winning Chelsea side early in that season (they went more 4-3-2-1 / 4-3-3 later on). Anelka pulled wide to the right more, while Ashley Cole on the left was slightly more advanced than Bosingwa.

Guest tollemache

I was surprised Owen didn't look at permanently changing his position on the back of that goalscoring run from the hole and I reckon he dropped a massive bollock when he didn't. Didn't need his pace, just the other attributes which he still had in spades: ability to anticipate, get in front of defenders, time his runs and finish. It even turned out he was awesome at linking up play in the first phase of the attack too. I was a 4-3-1-2 bore even back then and I remember thinking he could've done that job for England, in behind Rooney and whoever, ahead of someone like Carrick as playmaker with Gerrard and Lampard either side.