Massadio Haïdara

Optimistic Nut

Thing is, Anita was our best player for 4-5 games and still got dropped for Tiote, I'm resigned to the midfield being the same.

You're right, though, in an ideal world I'd always have Anita in at home against teams we need to be beating.

Guest icemanblue

Surely Tiote offers exactly the same, in every game? A massive presence in midfield, capable of breaking up attacks and recycling the ball? I don't understand this notion that, just because Norwich are perceived to be 'shite', we can effectively abandon any defensive responsibilities.

Surely Tiote offers exactly the same, in every game? A massive presence in midfield, capable of breaking up attacks and recycling the ball? I don't understand this notion that, just because Norwich are perceived to be 's****', we can effectively abandon any defensive responsibilities.

Not abandoning it all.... but Anita, Cabaye and Sissoko don't exactly offer nothing defensively but when you are up against teams who are going to sit back and defend their penalty area i'd prefer Anita over Tiote as he can open teams up where as Tiote can't.

Surely Tiote offers exactly the same, in every game? A massive presence in midfield, capable of breaking up attacks and recycling the ball? I don't understand this notion that, just because Norwich are perceived to be 'shite', we can effectively abandon any defensive responsibilities.

I agree. Tiote contributes a lot more than people acknowledge IMO. Not that Anita couldn't do a job, but Tiote is a lot more in your face.

Guest icemanblue

Surely Tiote offers exactly the same, in every game? A massive presence in midfield, capable of breaking up attacks and recycling the ball? I don't understand this notion that, just because Norwich are perceived to be 's****', we can effectively abandon any defensive responsibilities.

Not abandoning it all.... but Anita, Cabaye and Sissoko don't exactly offer nothing defensively but when you are up against teams who are going to sit back and defend their penalty area i'd prefer Anita over Tiote as he can open teams up where as Tiote can't.

How do we know that Norwich are going to do that, though? Are we expecting them to not bother attacking us at all? Even with Tiote in the team, we'll still have five players ahead of him capable of causing damage to the opposition. What Tiote gives them, is the freedom to focus on their attacking play, safe in the knowledge that the defence is still being protected on the break.

What Tiote gives them, is the freedom to focus on their attacking play, safe in the knowledge that the defence is still being protected on the break.

:lol:

You might wanna look at who was on the teamsheet just about every time we've been massively embarrassed by sides in the last 4 seasons.

I expect them to do what we did to Chelsea and Spurs if i'm honest and i wouldn't mind him playing there being the shield if the players in front of him wasn't Gouffran, Remy, Shola, Cabaye and Sissoko..... we don't have enough attacking talent to unlock the defence to be playing another defensive player who can't unlock the defence.

Guest icemanblue

What Tiote gives them, is the freedom to focus on their attacking play, safe in the knowledge that the defence is still being protected on the break.

:lol:

You might wanna look at who was on the teamsheet just about every time we've been massively embarrassed by sides in the last 4 seasons.

I'd wager that a lot of our better players, in attack and defense, were also on there. That feels like a bit of a desperate point to make. I was just highlighting the principle of why he's of use. Of course it's not going to work out exactly that way, every time.

• 3 weeks later...

Was quite surprised he got the nod ahead of Dummett, actually. If he's fully fit now I hope that Dummett gets another loan in the near future. Preferably in a league where I wouldn't nick a couple of goals.

Was quite surprised he got the nod ahead of Dummett, actually. If he's fully fit now I hope that Dummett gets another loan in the near future. Preferably in a league where I wouldn't nick a couple of goals.

me and a mate were on about this the other day, and unfortunately it's another pardew attack :lol:

what we were saying was that a negative side effect of pardew's fearball approach and the plan to win every single game by small margins is that it's going to make it very difficult for him to integrate young players into the team and get them some proper development

he'll always play it safe, so instead of being 3-0 up and throwing on dummet or whoever for some confidence building he'll always take the safe option "established" players unless his hand is forced through injury...or i suppose we're losing  like last night

players like good, dummet might as well fuck off on loan 'cause they'll just be floating about in limbo with us