The France Thread

EthiGeordie

And Mole, you think Argentina and Italy have settled? I agree with Brazil not having settled at all, we look extremely disjointed at the moment, but we are performing on level with Argentina and Italy at the moment, yet you seem to think they have settled teamwise?

Team wise i do think so yes.

Argentina seem to know what they want now, Masherano-Gago( who plays like Xavi for Argentina some how :lol: ) with Di Maria seemingly operating as both a CM and a winger depending on what they need with Messi behind Higuain and Aguero that seems the plan for them.

Their defence seems settled too, even if half of it isn't the most inspiring on paper.

Italy seem to have a set plan in place too, whether they play 3 at the back or 4 the idea seems the same and their midfield choices whether it be Pirlo-De Rossi-Marchisio or Pirlo-De Rossi-Montolivo or even all 4 the idea of what they want to do doesn't seem to change.

Also another thing Italy is basically half Milan and half Juventus so the chemistry is good.

Brazil for me at the moment are staying level with them due to individual moments rather than being settled on a team level, its all a bit stop start for me with Brazil at the moment and that happens when you are not playing as a team and a bit disjointed.

But Scolari has just took charge so i expect things to improve on that front, also i doubt you will give a flying monkey bullock if you win the WC getting through on individual moments every round. :lol:

But as of right now i think Argentina and Italy are more "ready".

Guest palnese

I thought Jallet looked pretty good, he got forward well a couple of times

yeah didn't think he was too bad, he put that one pass in perfectly and Benzema should have finished it.

Schoolboy defending for the goal.

Thought France were decent last night, Pogba looked very good until the red card as did Varane. Cabaye drifted in and out but Valbuena looked lively and Ribery caused a few problems.

Wasn't impressed with Jallet at right-back, he's been very good for PSG this term but France are clearly a better team with Debuchy in the side, was also a bit bemused by the selection of Koscielny over Sakho. Even at his young age Sakho is a much better player and I felt Koscielny struggled throughout.

The main area where France have a dilemma is up front, Benzema just can't seem to do it on the international stage and Giroud and Gomis just aren't consistent enough to be considered regular starters. There seems to be a production line of young defenders, wingers and midfielders but if they want to win a major tournament anytime soon they would be advised to find a regular goalscorer.

That last line is not true.

'98 Guivarch. Whoever Greece had in '04. Toni scored twice in '06.

Spain won the WC & Euro's with out-of form strikers.

True but it is always a bonus to have somebody who can score regularly. I would argue that with Villa Spain at least have somebody with a history of scoring at that level.

True but it is always a bonus to have somebody who can score regularly. I would argue that with Villa Spain at least have somebody with a history of scoring at that level.

Did he play as a striker in the WC? Didn't go to the Euros. International football is more about a strong defence, a midfield that can control games and holding your nerve using this combo.

Balotelli was probably the star striker last summer. He scored twice.

International football is more about a strong defence, a midfield that can control games and holding your nerve using this combo.

Bingo.

Rare for a flamboyant attacking team to win a tournament these days, sometimes not even getting to finals.

It's less important for a team like Spain. Their success is not predicated on a single striker putting goals in the back of the net. They'll control the ball 75% of the game, break down a defense, and sneak one past late-on. Don't get me wrong, they're all the more potent with an in-form Torres or David Villa. But it won't break the side to play without them.

France don't have that luxury though. They, and most international sides, need a dependable striker.

Did he play as a striker in the WC? Didn't go to the Euros. International football is more about a strong defence, a midfield that can control games and holding your nerve using this combo.

Balotelli was probably the star striker last summer. He scored twice.

While true in the case of the last Euros, Villa was in storming form in 2010, and Torres was at his best in 2008 (5 years ago already?).

France have no focal point at all. They try to be overly dynamic and loose and it just doesn't work for them like it does for Spain.

Since I'm on a mock roster kick right now, I'll try my hand at France's:

At full strength...

Lloris                       

Varane        Rami

Debuchy                            Evra

Cabaye

Pogba          Diarra

Sissoko                                Ribery

Giroud                                 

Obviously I have an affinity for Debs over their other RBs, but that position really is a toss-up between him, a healthy Sagna, and Jallet. I still rate Rami over Koscielny at CB. And Varane is an impressive player.

They really have so many competent midfielders. Diarra proved against us in the Europa that he's still a force to be reckoned with in central midfield. And I think he offers more than Matuidi. Wouldn't be surprised if Capoue or Gonalons work their way into the line-up either. As I think Mole mentioned earlier in the thread, putting two holding midfielders like Pogba and Diarra on the field allows Cabaye to sit deep and control the tempo ala Pirlo.

As we've seen, Sissoko can play a decent RM. I do like Valbuena, but Sissoko is stronger and tracks back better. Wouldn't kill them to give him a few chances at RM. And I despise Menez, though he'd probably be a good shout.

Probably a bit homerish for me to include all 3 of Cabaye, Debuchy, and Sissoko, but I think it could work for France.

Pogba is far more than a holding midfielder may I add.

That he is, I see him as a box-to-box guy. Physical player. Between he, Cabaye, and Diarra, you have three different central midfield styles. I think they'd complement each other well.

When have we seen Sissoko 'play a decent RM'? Don't they have better options there?

He's shifted out wide during the course of a few games for us, IIRC. I imagine Menez is probably a better option at LM, but I can't stand the guy.

Pogba is far more than a holding midfielder may I add.

Aye and Matuidi is one of the best DMs in the world full stop, i'd also say i prefer Koscielny and Mbiwa to Rami who is a bit brainless and wreckless.

I like the rest of Deuce's team though, as good Sissoko can be in spurts on the wing i get the feeling he doesn't understand the position very well and it could lead to defensive lapses.

That is what i would look at... who to play striker, who to play right wing and maybe look at moving Evra on.

I like the GK, 2 cbs and 3 midfielders of last night, just need to tinker round in some other areas then i'd like it on paper.

Although as good as it can be on paper i'm not sure if i like Deschamps enough to come up with the goods.

Guest icemanblue

When have we seen Sissoko 'play a decent RM'? Don't they have better options there?

He's shifted out wide during the course of a few games for us, IIRC. I imagine Menez is probably a better option at LM, but I can't stand the guy.

I don't think that's really a positional change, more a case of him having licence to roam as the number 10. France have far more agile, technical players suited to that role. Like, our very own, Hatem. :lol:

Giroud over Benzema?

I think i would have done last night definitely, he's a much better target than Benzema and considering France had very little of the ball Benzema's best traits become pretty useless.

Usually i would say Benzema all day in any scenario but he looks devoid of all confidence and is in horrible form, needs to leave Madrid and more importantly Cristiano Ronaldo to get back IMO.

I don't think that's really a positional change, more a case of him having licence to roam as the number 10. France have far more agile, technical players suited to that role. Like, our very own, Hatem. :lol:

So much potential. Just wish he could find a way to stay healthy (more for our sake than France's.)