Benfica vs. Newcastle United - 04/04/13 @ 8.05pm (ITV4)

bowlingcrofty

Guest Pablito

Let's tonk these w*****s. When I lived in Lisbon, they were crap but still crowing about their glorious history, which was already some decades in the past. They're obviously better now, but the Portuguese league isn't much better than the Scottish Premier -- three decent teams, the rest are cannon fodder. Pardew's correct to appraise them as a mid-table team, if miraculously transferred to the Premier League. Some seasons they'd be challenging for Europe, others they'd be flirting with relegation. Bit like us, really. Probably better than us right now. But still beatable.

And remember, they've only won one more European trophy than we have.

Well, Benfica went to 7 european finals in their history. Won 2 CL's in the past, could have won more. And I dont think you know us that well... We went trough a hard financial crisis in 2000... which penalized us in europe. As you know Portugal is not a perfect country in terms of money, football clubs need to sell their players constantly and even though they can make champions league every year like Benfica and Porto.

If you look at the last few years... Ramires, Di Maria, David Luiz, Javi Garcia, and much more players were sold, we do not recieve great amounts of money like you do for PL television rights, so we have to find other ways to have money and keep competitive in Europe. We even sell coaches (see Vilas Boas from Porto - 15M clause), we export a great amount of players and coaches to richer leagues like Premier. So I dont think we are that bad considering the portuguese market and financial situation.

And let me just say one more thing, we are not crowing about our history, we are just proud to support the club with more official members on this planet, we are proud to go through all the storms and keep competitive. I mean, last year we could have been in the semi finals of CL, 3 years ago we were in the semi finals of EL, we will see how it goes this year. I have nothing against Newcastle, I would prefer to beat Tottenham by the way.

--------------------------KRUL-----------------------------

SANTON------TAYLS-------MAPOU-----------JONAS

------------------CABAYE----ANITA--------------------

----MARVEAUX--------SISSOKO----------- ????

-------------------CISSE----------------------

Guest ItalianMagpie

The Portuguese league might not be the best in the world but is far from the Scottish one imo. And this year in particular Benfica is pretty strong, and certainly better than us. I think some people tend to forget that we're 3 points off relegation, we can't be that good...

This said, I hope we fucking hammer them :lol:

The Portuguese league might not be the best in the world but is far from the Scottish one imo. And this year in particular Benfica is pretty strong, and certainly better than us. I think some people tend to forget that we're 3 points off relegation, we can't be that good...

This said, I hope we f***ing hammer them :lol:

I think it's blind hope rather than expectation.

On season form - we'll get absolutely battered. But this is NUFC, anything can and will happen  :indi: :indi: :indi:

Guest Playmaker10

____________Krul______________

Perch___Saylor___Mbiwa___Haidara

_______Cabaye___Anita__________

Marveaux____Sissoko______Santon

_____________Cisse____________

Didn't realise Haidara was fit/available for this. If he's 100% definitely stick him in.

Just met Steve Stone and some of the coaching staff in my local in Cascais. Wouldn't give out any team news but he said the team is in good spirits and feeling confident.

They bought me and my mate a pint, cheers lads!!

Next stop Lisboa.

Just met Steve Stone and some of the coaching staff in my local in Cascais. Wouldn't give out any team news but he said the team is in good spirits and feeling confident.

Next stop Lisboa.

Were they drinking? :lol:

Next stop Lisboa.

Were they drinking? :lol:

Yes, Nicola Portuguese coffee!

got ridiculed for proposing more or less the same team yesterday, keep jonas and simpson out pls

got ridiculed for proposing more or less the same team yesterday, keep jonas and simpson out pls

Quite rightly :lol:

fucks your problem with it, santon?  otherwise what's your beef?

Guest bimpy474

---------------Cabaye-----Sissoko----------------

--Oberdouche--------Marv-------------Jonas---

-------------------Cissssssseee------------------

That's how I'd line up I reckon. Unless Sissoko went on the right wing (could happen) and Anita went into a deep role.

Come on!

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/sht/grand/sht-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-669.gif

I know I know - I died a bit inside as I posted it.

I think he's done here, he quite simply is nowhere near good enough. I don't even think he's good enough for the Championship if i'm honest.

f***s your problem with it, santon?  otherwise what's your beef?

For one, Haidara didn't travel. Santon has never played on the wing (afaik) either and would be a strange time to try it with 2 full-backs out injured. If Haidara was fit it would be a cool system to try, tbf.

It'll be Krul; Simpson, Mapou, Saylor, Santon; Cabaye, Perch; Marveaux, Sissoko, Jonas; Cissé. I agree with the sentiment of keeping Jonas and Simpson out but this is 100% the sort of game Pardew loves Jonas in. Perch will sit deep and break up play. Sissoko will drop deep to pick up the ball too with Marveaux sitting forward and Jonas doing a heap of leg work. It'll be all about shutting them out.

Guest bimpy474

I thought i heard Pardew say "Santi" is out earlier......does he mean Santon by chance ?.

Must mean Simpson will start now :(

f***s your problem with it, santon?  otherwise what's your beef?

For one, Haidara didn't travel. Santon has never played on the wing (afaik) either and would be a strange time to try it with 2 full-backs out injured. If Haidara was fit it would be a cool system to try, tbf.

It'll be Krul; Simpson, Mapou, Saylor, Santon; Cabaye, Perch; Marveaux, Sissoko, Jonas; Cissé. I agree with the sentiment of keeping Jonas and Simpson out but this is 100% the sort of game Pardew loves Jonas in. Perch will sit deep and break up play. Sissoko will drop deep too with Marveaux sitting forward and Jonas doing a heap of leg work. It'll be all about shutting them out.

Spot on there!

I think we will battle hard and try to nick a goal (copyright - pards), the outcome will depend on how rattled we can get them and if we get the first goal. portuguese are known for crumbling and fans get nervous pretty quick if goals don't flow...