Alan Pardew

Mike

I don't see how anyone can say our recruitment policy is 'awful' like. We've landed an absolute load of quality players in recent times... just not enough because we're a bit tight.

A few are now starting to doubt the standard of quality we have bought simply because we have been in poor form and certain individuals who have the supposed quality haven’t stepped up in times of trouble and have folded. Personally, i'm with you, our transfer policy is decent, yet it’s flawed simply down to lack of investment/ambition. The talent we currently have on show is massive, if we keep them fit, get confidence and belief instilled back into them, this team could really start to flourish again. I think it's foolish to question certain individuals ability simply because they have had a long period of poor form and low confidence, all players can be affected by this regardless of how talented you are.

I don't see how anyone can say our recruitment policy is 'awful' like. We've landed an absolute load of quality players in recent times... just not enough because we're a bit tight.

A few are now starting to doubt the standard of quality we have bought simply because we have been in poor form and certain individuals who have the supposed quality haven’t stepped up in times of trouble and have folded. Personally, i'm with you, our transfer policy is decent, yet it’s flawed simply down to lack of investment/ambition. The talent we currently have on show is massive, if we keep them fit, get confidence and belief instilled back into them, this team could really start to flourish again. I think it's foolish to question certain individuals ability simply because they have had a long period of poor form and low confidence, all players can be affected by this regardless how talented you.

Yeah, it could be better as you say, if we spent more. But I just find it crazy that people are arguing as if Sissoko, Mapou, Debuchy et al aren't class players, just because we had a bad season. They are quality players that we signed for good deals, that means we're operating pretty well in the market. Given the financial restrictions obviously.

Guest firetotheworks

Where are people saying this, at all? As far as I can see, the majority of the blame around the football on display is levelled at Pardew.

It's predicated almost completely on opportunism. It's fucking awful within the context of a club who should be promoting ambition on a par with Spurs. As it is we're on a par with West Brom at best.

Not sure that's quite true, we seem to monitor players for a while. You're right though, if you mean we rely too much on stuff like short contracts and unhappy players etc.

Guest firetotheworks

It's predicated almost completely on opportunism. It's f***ing awful within the context of a club who should be promoting ambition on a par with Spurs. As it is we're on a par with West Brom at best.

Not sure that's quite true, we seem to monitor players for a while. You're right though, if you mean we rely too much on stuff like short contracts and unhappy players etc.

Who's to say? The only people that tell us that are notorious liars. And even so, if the 'monitoring' definitely does go on then the evidence points towards it being based on upcoming circumstances, than the player being the right player.

It's predicated almost completely on opportunism. It's f***ing awful within the context of a club who should be promoting ambition on a par with Spurs. As it is we're on a par with West Brom at best.

Who's to say? The only people that tell us that are notorious liars. And even so, if the 'monitoring' definitely does go on then the evidence points towards it being based on upcoming circumstances, than the player being the right player.

I mean stuff like, for example when we needed those January signings we managed to snap them up quickly. Suggesting that we'd already identified the players and lined them up for future signing. Obviously I don't know for sure, I'm speculating like everyone.

Because we generally tend to go back for the same player hence him being monitored for a fair period of time, obviously not saying this is the case with every signing but if we are niggling away at a player over the summer, the likely are odds are that we will start tugging away again come January. Ashley seems to prefer spending in Jan so probably shouldn’t come to much surprise that he hasn’t invested heavily over the summer, chances are we will grab a couple in Jan regardless of what position we are in.

Guest firetotheworks

Because we generally tend to go back for the same player hence him being monitored for a fair period of time, obviously not saying this is the case with every signing but if we are niggling away at a player over the summer, the likely are odds are that we will start tugging away again come January. Ashley seems to prefer spending in Jan so probably shouldn’t come to much surprise that he hasn’t invested heavily over the summer, chances are we will grab a couple in Jan regardless of what position we are in.

Like I said, the going back for the same player and them being monitored seems to be based more on the players circumstances, rather than them being the right player. I don't agree with the January part in terms of the 'regardless of what position we are in.'

A lot are predicting that we'll be in a shit position come January, or that we'll be in a position with injuries and suspensions that forces us to buy.

I don't believe for one second that if we're between 6th(ha!) and 13th he'll invest anything at all. We'll either have to be staring down the barrell of relegation, or on the brink of Champions League qualification. As it happens, I think we'll buy, but I think we'll buy because we'll be in an even worse position this year than we were last year.

Like I said, the going back for the same player and them being monitored seems to be based more on the players circumstances, rather than them being the right player. I don't agree with the January part in terms of the 'regardless of what position we are in.'

A lot are predicting that we'll be in a s*** position come January, or that we'll be in a position with injuries and suspensions that forces us to buy.

I don't believe for one second that if we're between 6th(ha!) and 13th he'll invest anything at all. We'll either have to be staring down the barrell of relegation, or on the brink of Champions League qualification. As it happens, I think we'll buy, but I think we'll buy because we'll be in an even worse position this year than we were last year.

I don't think it truly matters what position we are in, we will still probably target someone like Gomis again in Jan regardless if we are 6th or 6th bottom. We signed Cisse for 10 million when we were in top 6 and had Ba scoring for fun so see no reason to doubt if there is a deal to be made which is good financially for us that we will take it. It was just a wise move this year to bring a couple of the signings forward even though it cost us slightly more than it should have done but we needed that boost.

Guest firetotheworks

A lot are predicting that we'll be in a s*** position come January, or that we'll be in a position with injuries and suspensions that forces us to buy.

I don't think it truly matters what position we are in, we will still probably target someone like Gomis again in Jan regardless if we are 6th or 6th bottom. We signed Cisse for 10 million when we were in top 6 and had Ba scoring for fun so see no reason to doubt if there is a deal to be made which is good financially for us that we will take it. It was just a wise move this year to bring a couple of the signings forward even though it cost us slightly more than it should have done but we needed that boost.

All of the scenarios that you've put forward there are exactly the scenarios in which I said that would possibly buy someone. If I put it another way, I think we'll buy players if we're between 1st and 5th, or between 14th and 20th. I think we're a shoe-in for between 14th and 20th.

We spent the money on Cisse 12 months after receiving £35m for Carroll, having spent precisely zero on transfer fees for strikers after he was sold until then.  Stop carrying on like Cisse was an extravagant luxury, we needed more forwards when Carroll was sold and 6 months after the event we only brought in Ba, leaving ourselves light for the umpteenth time.  It was a good job Best came through for us in the way he did, but again we were gambling.

Mark Douglas ‏@MsiDouglas 25m

Wasn't at the press conference yday but column in today's Journal is about the inconsistencies of #nufc message on state of their finances.

Mark Douglas ‏@MsiDouglas 24m

Ashley gave green light to three signings after yacht meeting last month so can't have concerns over "overdraft" that stopped players coming.

We spent the money on Cisse 12 months after receiving £35m for Carroll, having spent precisely zero on transfer fees for strikers after he was sold until then.  Stop carrying on like Cisse was an extravagant luxury, we needed more forwards when Carroll was sold and 6 months after the event we only brought in Ba, leaving ourselves light for the umpteenth time.  It was a good job Best came through for us in the way he did, but again we were gambling.

Why have you totally taken the subject we were talking about and turned it into something else? Nobody was saying Cisse was this 'extravagant luxury' or we never needed more forwards? Sure you just try to cause tensions across the forum polic! We were simply debating if Ashley would spend in January and i was simply making a case of i think our position in the league isn't relevant in whether he would spend or not as he’s proved in the past when we flying high under Pardew and Ba was banging the goals in, we still added Cisse to the squad because the deal was financially right for the club regardless of whether we were desperate for him or not. Take your Andy Carroll along with your 35 million into another debate please.

Guest neesy111

If that's true from what Douglas is saying, then it shows the complete mess we are in behind the scenes.

I don't think that's any surprise.

I can't tell the truth from lies any more from money/no money to spend.  Sorry state of affairs.

Why have you totally taken the subject we were talking about and turned it into something else? Nobody was saying Cisse was this 'extravagant luxury' or we never needed more forwards? Sure you just try to cause tensions across the forum polic! We were simply debating if Ashley would spend in January and i was simply making a case of i think our position in the league isn't relevant in whether he would spend or not as he’s proved in the past when we flying high under Pardew and Ba was banging the goals in, we still added Cisse to the squad because the deal was financially right for the club regardless of whether we were desperate for him or not. Take your Andy Carroll along with your 35 million into another debate please.

:lol: Wow, what an idiotic post.  I'm saying we dithered in the summer and didn't bring in enough firepower with the Carroll money, so we corrected the mistake in January.  Sound familiar?

You can shove your tension up your arse, you're one of a few first-class whoppers on here at the minute.

He wouldn't have spent anywhere near as much in January if we weren't in the Pardew inspired relegation threatened position we were in. They've told us that already. By saying we were using the Summer transfer budget . Surely even you must comprehend that.