Alan Pardew

Mike

IP is pretty much spot on like. In particular the part about how our recruitment is completely bent when it comes to the manager who has to use them.

Pardew clearly struggles to work with foreign players, so our response to this challenge is to scout solely in France or sign french players. That's not a defence of Pardew at all either, but if you're sticking with the manager give him players that might possibly improve his ability at his job.

The season getting 5th was a fluke, a combo of new players hitting the ground running and pretty much everything going right.

I don't think that a top half finish, pushing Europe, is out of the question for this squad.

I think Ashley sees the same thing.

Either I'm giving him too much credit or you lot aren't giving him enough. Time will tell.

I think he doesn't give a toss as ultimately it matters little in terms of revenue coming in (and cost needed to maintain).

Actually more to the point with LucaAlteri's Ozil post, I have no problems with our recruitment policy to a degree.

The problems I do have with it are:

- When it doesn't work it leaves us short.  We sometimes have to pay something approaching a player's market value, especially when our initial approach consists of finding a player who is unhappy at their club, unsettling the player and pissing the selling club off.  These stand-offs often happen and it's obvious why.

- The scouting is not aligned to the manager.  Either sack the manager or buy the cloggers he needs to make his system work.

- We often buy players just because they're cheap rather than plugging the positional gap we need.  When Robson needed something extra he got Bellamy and Robert and we went from 11th to 4th.

The prevailing theme is we end up spending the same or less than we bring in.  I think that's why we wanted to shift Cabaye. 

TV money might bring us a bit more Mike generosity eventually, and again it'll be spun like we should be grateful.  We shouldn't.

We're half the club we were when he took over in terms of the perceptions of the rest of the world IMO, and that's why you see unprecedented numbers of NUFC fans completely fed up, as the hope is disappearing.  When you see NUFC aspiring to something you buy into it right or wrong, but at the minute there's nowt happening that inspires any confidence whatsoever that we're even much of a better club than Southampton.  And we are a better club than Southampton.

you talk like anything would change transfer wise if Pardew left.

Erm, are you missing the point entirely?  I'm saying that the scouting needs to be aligned with what the manager wants to work with.

and it won't ever be or to any football philosophy only to sell on value. By itself thats not the worst since even clubs like Man Utd prefer to buy players who they could at least make their money back most of the time (RVP is an exception to the norm) so long as its also being used as part of a plan which the manager agrees with on the type of footballer the club buys, this is not the case here and the squad shows this ridiculous imbalance.

We sign technically good players, Graham Carr seems to like them.  Pardew can't work with them.  We need to change the manager or change the chief scout, not sure why this is such a difficult concept for you to comprehend.

I'm not as convinced about the quality of the players.

I was going to respond with a big post but since neither of us can be bothered then just get to the point man, because it's getting boring.

We're signing shit players that are being managed by a shit manager, is that it?

some average occasional good player but a squad lacking in key area's being managed by an average manager dealing with issues that would trouble even the best manager. I have a hard time seeing any manager doing well under this set up.

Ultimately he's going to live off the mantra that he's saving money and cutting costs to reduce the debt on the club and we should be so grateful that he saved us from a fate worse than death whilst syphening off club profits through his SD empire thus never clearing the debt.

We're just a billboard to his real passion and we'll never be anything but an extension to his cash cow.

Guest neesy111

I'm not Pardew's biggest fan, but he should be allowed to get the players he wants.  People bang on about a european style of structure, which works in this country but only if the manager still has a big say on transfers which he doesn't.  You can tell the structure inside the club is defunct at the moment.

Our transfer policy is completely flawed as we always end up short every transfer window, the quality of some these signings have turned out to be not as good as 1st thought in a few cases.  It'd also be nice to try other markets.

I'm not Pardew's biggest fan, but he should be allowed to get the players he wants.  People bang on about a european style of structure, which works in this country but only if the manager still has a big say on transfers which he doesn't.  You can tell the structure inside the club is defunct at the moment.

Our transfer policy is completely flawed as we always end up short every transfer window, the quality of some these signings have turned out to be not as good as 1st thought in a few cases.  It'd also be nice to try other markets.

The last thing I want is Pardew getting the players he wants.

I agree.  Instead of buying shit cloggers for our shit manager why not just get a decent manager.  If we buy the players Pardew wants then when he fails and we sack him then the next manager will be left with a squad full of shite he'll have to shift.

good morning from pards

Alan Pardew: Big signing for Newcastle United would have needed overdraft usage

13 Sep 2013 07:07 For the Magpies to have secured a "marquee signing" it would have taken them into the red, according to NUFC boss

Share on printShare on email 

Pardew says he's happy with strikers, but feels "vulnerable to injury" 

Alan Pardew admitted that had Newcastle pulled off a “marquee signing” during the window the transaction would have taken the Magpies into their overdraft facility.

United fans are still far from happy they didn’t see a permanent signing made during the summer as bids for Bafetimbi Gomis and a loan move for Demba Ba fell through.

United were also linked with Florian Thauvin, who eventually signed for Marseille after a mooted £10m bid from the Magpies. And reacting to criticism from fans – who have questioned why the £60m TV money hasn’t been dipped into – Pardew told the Chronicle: “They all expected a marquee signing, although I have to say a marquee signing would have taken us into our overdraft facility.

“That was something we really didn’t want to do, although there were two or three bids that went in that would have definitely put us in that.

“There was the will there, but I don’t wantto say any more thanthat.

“I don’t want to affect our fans any more than they’ve been affected.

“They’re disappointed, but we still carry a team that can have a successful season.”

Gomis’ agent revealed yesterday that he could make a cut-price move for less than £2.5m in January from Lyon.

And while Pardew also revealed a bid for an English player also fell through towards the end of the window, when asked about future transfer plans, he said: “I don’t want to give our fans any kind of discussion about January.

“We’ll get plenty of time to talk about that leading up to it.”

Director of football Joe Kinnear – who has yet to offer any explanation for a disastrous transfer window – has stayed tight-lipped about recruitment despite making boastful claims earlier this summer.

Pardew says he was disappointed not to sign a new striker and said: “Our fans wanted a marquee signing.

“I stated that I wanted another offensive player.

“Another striker would have helped us.

“I’m really happy with my strikers, but I’m a bit vulnerable to injury.

“But everybody has trained, and we’ve got a great team to turn up at Villa.

“We’ve got a really good side, and a good bench, a bench which can affect the game.

“I don’t want to talk about that. But for the mood of everybody, it’s been tough.”

Guest firetotheworks

I can't believe that I've been reading people saying that they can see where Ashley's coming from. I don't even know where to begin with that shit. :lol:

Same.

Pardew is right, basically we need to steer clear of injuries and just basically ride our luck with them as the lack of investment from above him as made things more challenging. We do have a good side and their is a couple on the bench who can impact games however injuries to key (especially offensive) players will see us massively affected. His downfall here is once again trying to polish the turd which Ashley has dropped on his lap. Talking about overdrafts and such is just pathetic but i’m not going to hold too much against him for this, he's just very poor at trying to back Ashley up when he's made it perfectly clear he is rather disappointed we never got anyone 'over the line' and left us short in attack and like stated vulnerable to injury.

Guest neesy111

Same.

Why?

Adam Lallana, Andy Carroll and Darrent Bent are the players we know for sure Pardew's asked for. 2 out of 3 stroll into our current side and the other's a good player to have on the bench.

A big lump up front whose head we can hoof the ball at, a 30 year old poacher who needs the whole team set up for him (and who Pardew would play as a number 10) and I confess I don't know much about the other guy.  Oh, and Obertan.  Is rather get a new manager and let Carr buy the players thanks.

Same.

Why?

Because I don't have much faith that he will select the right players, and I like the type of players we are signing now.

Guest neesy111

Adam Lallana, Andy Carroll and Darrent Bent are the players we know for sure Pardew's asked for. 2 out of 3 stroll into our current side and the other's a good player to have on the bench.

A big lump up front whose head we can hoof the ball at, a 30 year old poacher who needs the whole team set up for him (and who Pardew would play as a number 10) and I confess I don't know much about the other guy.  Oh, and Obertan.  Is rather get a new manager and let Carr buy the players thanks.

So what players did Carr get us this summer?

Guest firetotheworks

The answer is pretty obvious. Getting the players that Pardew wants for Pardew's style would involve getting players that most of us don't like, for a style of play that we already detest and could potentially involve getting rid of players that we already have. It would involve negotiations in terms of both buying and selling and would involve more than one change and could potentially upset the team. The alternative is making one change and getting a manager that suits the players that we have. It's bone-achingly obvious.

A big lump who'd improve us tenfold and a poacher who didn't have the team set up for him at Spurs but still scored goals.

Carr's done well what he's been tasked with but our recruitment policy is still awful.