Alan Pardew

Mike

I believe that the improvement in playing style has come about because Ashley nailed Pardew about the lack of entertainment and results during the summer 'heart to heart' they reputedly had..others were also involved and I reckon Carr and Carver have put their 2 penn'orth in because they KNOW that NUFC fans want more entertainment and possession football than they were seeing from Pardew's teams.

Pardew picks the side and makes all the subs but I reckon the coaches have had far more influence on the side's performances this season. The players also brought this up with Pardew - remember Jonas complaining about training and Ba saying the fans weren't seeing good football before he left..??

Desperation has really set in. Ashley getting some credit for our improved football....You missed Kinnear off your list btw.

Interesting how suddenly, Pardew apologists are quite prepared to sweep his record at previous clubs under the table because they can hide behind a run of decent results which are largely the result of the signing of Remy. Without Remy's goals, just where would the club be now ? Just in case you have forgotten, this player is on LOAN to NUFC and unlikely to sign permanently unless Ashley breaches his wage structure so what will happen to results then...?

It is a matter of fact that Ashley DID haul Pardew over the coals about both the football being played AND the poor results from last season - are you trying to say that suddenly Pardew has undergone a Damascene conversion to the world of entertaining football and there is no other reason for the side's improvement in style of play than him ? If so, why did he never do this at his other clubs, esp WHU when he had the likes of Mascherano and Tevez at his disposal and failed to use them properly ? Some of us on this remember that Pardew has NEVER been a long-term success at his previous clubs and want a lot more than a few wins, at least one of which was down to an inspired keeping performance by Krul, before we start classing him in the KK or SBR status.

Your quaint little piece about Kinnear isn't even worth a reply.......

That post is a classic of its kind. It makes ridiculous assumptions, starting off with the "Pardew apologists" cliche. I've said recently on this thread that I think he's an average manager. The most recent part of Pardews previous record includes a 5th place in the Premiership hotly followed by a pretty abject relegation battle. He did well when we came 5th and poorly when we nearly got relegated. I've criticised him on here when he's allowed us to try and sit back on a lead or even when the scores are level, I think it's his biggest failing. We did it on a number of occasions last season and our second half against Norwich was a typical example. I thought we played it right against Chelsea, were lucky against Spurs and were good against WBA . I try and give crediit and criticism where its due.

We have won four games on the spin and it does seem to be generally accepted that we are playing better football this season than last. You are so consumed with being anti Pardew that you had to try and find some possible reason for it that didn't attribute any credit to Pardew. The reference to Ashley being behind it was priceless. Why not Kinnear btw? Its got better since he became director of football. 

This notion that Pardew is a scheming back-stabber while all other managers are full of integrity needs to be nipped in the bud like.

I know at Newcastle we are used to dipshit chairmen, who will sack a manager while being totally oblivious as to who is available or how willing they are to take a job.  But the best way to approach a change of manager is to have your new man in mind, lined up, ready to take the role immediately.  This happens time and again at loads of clubs and in no way suggests Pardew should have a guilty conscience about Hughton's removal.

This notion that Pardew is a scheming back-stabber while all other managers are full of integrity needs to be nipped in the bud like.

I know at Newcastle we are used to dipshit chairmen, who will sack a manager while being totally oblivious as to who is available or how willing they are to take a job.  But the best way to approach a change of manager is to have your new man in mind, lined up, ready to take the role immediately.  This happens time and again at loads of clubs and in no way suggests Pardew should have a guilty conscience about Hughton's removal.

Exactly, Hughton was unfairly sacked (if fairness exists in football management) but it's not really very much to do with Pardew.

I've said recently on this thread that I think he's an average manager. The most recent part of Pardews previous record includes a 5th place in the Premiership hotly followed by a pretty abject relegation battle. He did well when we came 5th and poorly when we nearly got relegated. 

happy face said it ages ago, and i'm totally on board now - he's an average manager (in my mind below average but still) and we're going to have to accept the peaks and troughs that come with him

good managers can achieve consistency, he never has in his career but he currently has the best set of players he's arguably had and things look good for him and us again - maybe if we keep this squad together and add to it a little over time he can at least avoid the horrendous troughs in future

always said i'd rather he succeed because it means we succeed

all of that said i don't think it means we should stop pointing out his flaws and where he goes wrong in individual games, in the same way we shouldn't ignore what he gets right - dropping the popular HBA for the good of the team and results, for one

He's not moving with the times. The football his team is capable of producing isn't what it should be. Long-term, we would do better with a more modern, talented and progressive manager.

In the current lunatic setup there's nothing else to hope for. But his appointment and the decision not to sack him last season aligns with our ambition. A manager who's prepared to work under Joe Kinnear and be hung out to dry more often than not will always have an uphill struggle to earn my trust and respect. Don't blame him for taking the job or sticking to it, he'll never be at a bigger club. But he wasn't appointed on sporting merit, he was appointed because he was prepared to play a role in the Mike Ashley circus. We should do better.

The entire period leading up to his appointment make me sick, going back to what GolfMag posted etc.

Exactly, Hughton was unfairly sacked (if fairness exists in football management) but it's not really very much to do with Pardew.

fortunate that you have inside knowledge of what took place and when between pardew, llamblias and ashley ian otherwise people might think you were talking out of your arse

I think we should be winning games far more comfortably than we are. We are playing some good stuff at times. I just would rather have a more positive attitude once we are in front. There have been times when we forget or are instructed not to play in the manner which got us in front in the first place. But really cannot fault the results or league position at this time, even if I don't rate the manager or his matchday ethos.

fortunate that you have inside knowledge of what took place and when between pardew, llamblias and ashley ian otherwise people might think you were talking out of your arse

Are claiming you have insider knowledge?

Because without it, if one assumes that he engineered the change, with no evidence either way, that would be talking out of one's anus.

Because without it, if one assumes that he engineered the change, with no evidence either way, that would be talking out of one's anus.

Even if you assume the absolute worst, that Pardew met with Ashley and Llambias and agreed to take the job before Hughton was sacked, that's par for the course in football.

What could be worse than that, Pardew used Jedi mind tricks or sacrificed a kid in a voodoo ritual to brainwash Mike into giving him the job? I really don't get it.

Even if you assume the absolute worst, that Pardew met with Ashley and Llambias and agreed to take the job before Hughton was sacked, that's par for the course in football.

What could be worse than that, Pardew used Jedi mind tricks or sacrificed a kid in a voodoo ritual to brainwash Mike into giving him the job? I really don't get it.

Casting couch.

i am not, that's why i'm not stating with any certainty that he did or not have anything to do with anything

neither should anyone else

given it's established he's mates with llamblias and was out of work it's not hard to understand where the smoke might come from, even if there's no fire

i wouldn't like to say either way tbh

Even if you assume the absolute worst, that Pardew met with Ashley and Llambias and agreed to take the job before Hughton was sacked

ian, i suppose the "absolute worst" is in fact that out of work pardew used his influence as a mate of llamblias to plant seeds in the guys mind that he could do a better job than hughton etc. etc.

not saying this happened by the way but it's far from the realms of possibility, much in the same way that people "believe" kinnear was getting pissed in the pub with ashley and talked himself back into a role at the club, and believed his undermining of pardew and return to the managers seat was inevitable

Maybe you weren't on this board at the time but we have a very occasional poster here who told the board a couple of weeks before it was announced that Pardew had been approached to take over the job. He had been given a contract to look over. There quite a few sceptics on here at the time but this poster was proved completely correct. A couple of weeks later, Hughton was sacked and Pardew was appointed. No suggestion Pardew actually engineered the change in management.

However, he did know it was going to happen despite his protestations that he didn't.

Not judging anyone for what happened, just enlightening you as you were probs weren't on this board at the time.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/alan-pardew-brings-newcastle-fans-deluded-up-again/

Alan Pardew brought the Newcastle fans deluded subject up again at his pre-match press conference broadcast on the club’s own TV channel.

The Newcastle manger when asked about expectations of fans after four wins in a row, had this reality check;

“This is Newcastle, we like to raise our expectations, way beyond the realism of where we are at times. It is great at the moment though and I hope our fans are enjoying this, I’m sure they are.”

Now I’m all for keeping our feet on the ground but this is where the mindset of the club is all wrong in my opinion, from Mike Ashley and then down through JFK and Alan Pardew.

As Newcastle fans we don’t expect success but what we do want is for the club to have the best go possible and grasp opportunities when they come along.

United haven’t been brilliant these last four matches but they have played some very good football at times and some players have played to the very limits of their capabilities. When you add a lot of hard work and a decent measure of luck, it has added up to maximum points in November.

However, what I’d love to see is for everybody at the club to really ‘raise our expectations’ and look to see where this run of form could take us if the club (Mike Ashley) showed the necessary ambition (within realism!).

If the five French players recruited in January had come in last summer then there is no way Newcastle would have had a season as bad as they experienced last time around, the fifth top finish totally wasted as United went backwards instead of building on that unexpected opportunity presented by the 2011/12 season.

Moving a year and a half forward, Newcastle United and Mike Ashley are once again presented with a great chance to put some longer term substance behind this unexpected run of form and results.

As the 10th best supported club in Europe last season and in the last Deloitte list of top 20 turnovers in the World, why shouldn’t we be allowed to daydream (expect?) sustained improvement and success?

I think we should be winning games far more comfortably than we are. We are playing some good stuff at times. I just would rather have a more positive attitude once we are in front. There have been times when we forget or are instructed not to play in the manner which got us in front in the first place. But really cannot fault the results or league position at this time, even if I don't rate the manager or his matchday ethos.

I've been struggling why this view keeps being put forward.  Why do otherwise intelligent people, who follow football and have a good knowledge of the league, hink Newcastle have a right to roll over opponents for fun?

It strikes me as a conceited view of our capabilities and condescending of other teams in the league that have outspent us in just about every case and which are ALL managed by better men than Pardew...if you believe the haters.

Hull can turn over Liverpool 3-1.  Sunderland beat Man City, as did Cardiff.  Villa pissed on Arsenal and took 3 points off Man City.  This is a competitive league where points are hard fought and won.

It struck me just now that it might be a lingering sense of entitlement from the championship season.  We were scoring 3, 4, 5 and 6 week in and week out there.  At least we were at home.  Even in the championship we rarely scored more than 2 on the road though.

We currently score at the same rate we did in 10/11 (even with those 4 and 5 goal thrillers) and in 11/12 (when we came 5th).

These rates are the highest in a decade at the club...except for the championship season...

Goals per game....

2014 1.5

2013 1.2

2012 1.5

2011 1.5

2010 2.0

2009 1.1

2008 1.2

2007 1.0

2006 1.2

2005 1.2

2004 1.4

There have been few times that i have followed Newcastle and rolled up to St James' expecting us to win and to do it comfortably.  Our current approach/ability is the norm.  It takes brilliant men like Keegan or Robson to improve on that.

Maybe you weren't on this board at the time but we have a very occasional poster here who told the board a couple of weeks before it was announced that Pardew had been approached to take over the job. He had been given a contract to look over. There quite a few sceptics on here at the time but this poster was proved completely correct. A couple of weeks later, Hughton was sacked and Pardew was appointed. No suggestion Pardew actually engineered the change in management.

However, he did know it was going to happen despite his protestations that he didn't.

Not judging anyone for what happened, just enlightening you as you were probs weren't on this board at the time.

I was told the same elsewhere.

none of that makes pardew to blame for engineering anything.

I was told the same elsewhere.

none of that makes pardew to blame for engineering anything.

'No suggestion Pardew actually engineered the change in management.'

:lol: it was a long post, you probs glossed over that if not most of it.

Guest icemanblue

F*ck off Pardew. That is so much bollocks.

I can stand for a lot of bullshit but calling the fans who I happen to be one of delusional is not one of them.

F*ck right off.

Well, there's a measured response. Really fits with the tone of the quote, too.

Also, swear filtering your own posts?

I've been struggling why this view keeps being put forward.  Why do otherwise intelligent people, who follow football and have a good knowledge of the league, think Newcastle have a right to roll over opponents for fun?

It strikes me as a conceited view of our capabilities and condescending of other teams in the league that have outspent us in just about every case and which are ALL managed by better men than Pardew...if you believe the haters.

Hull can turn over Liverpool 3-1.  Sunderland beat Man City, as did Cardiff.  Villa pissed on Arsenal and took 3 points off Man City.  This is a competitive league where points are hard fought and won.

It struck me just now that it might be a lingering sense of entitlement from the championship season.  We were scoring 3, 4, 5 and 6 week in and week out there.  At least we were at home.  Even in the championship we rarely scored more than 2 on the road though.

hate bits like that in bold twisting things ever so slightly to make it worse than it is

an otherwise good post though and i completely agree with how competitive the league is now, i was thinking this at the weekend

where i think you're perhaps missing the point isn't that people don't think we have an automatic right to to beat such and such a team, the way i see it is on a game by game basis when we dominate through attacking football, score one or two goals then batten down the hatches to see it out

you'd have to be right arsehole to kick off if any team came up to SJP and gave us a game from the off then took a share of the points, what pisses people off is being in the position to capitalise on a start then not taking it

but i suspect you know this

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/alan-pardew-brings-newcastle-fans-deluded-up-again/

Alan Pardew brought the Newcastle fans deluded subject up again at his pre-match press conference broadcast on the club’s own TV channel.

The Newcastle manger when asked about expectations of fans after four wins in a row, had this reality check;

“This is Newcastle, we like to raise our expectations, way beyond the realism of where we are at times. It is great at the moment though and I hope our fans are enjoying this, I’m sure they are.”

Now I’m all for keeping our feet on the ground but this is where the mindset of the club is all wrong in my opinion, from Mike Ashley and then down through JFK and Alan Pardew.

As Newcastle fans we don’t expect success but what we do want is for the club to have the best go possible and grasp opportunities when they come along.

United haven’t been brilliant these last four matches but they have played some very good football at times and some players have played to the very limits of their capabilities. When you add a lot of hard work and a decent measure of luck, it has added up to maximum points in November.

However, what I’d love to see is for everybody at the club to really ‘raise our expectations’ and look to see where this run of form could take us if the club (Mike Ashley) showed the necessary ambition (within realism!).

If the five French players recruited in January had come in last summer then there is no way Newcastle would have had a season as bad as they experienced last time around, the fifth top finish totally wasted as United went backwards instead of building on that unexpected opportunity presented by the 2011/12 season.

Moving a year and a half forward, Newcastle United and Mike Ashley are once again presented with a great chance to put some longer term substance behind this unexpected run of form and results.

As the 10th best supported club in Europe last season and in the last Deloitte list of top 20 turnovers in the World, why shouldn’t we be allowed to daydream (expect?) sustained improvement and success?

He's right, there's "we should be winning games far more comfortably than we are" and such, all over this thread, which is inherently unrealistic IMO.

If we win that should be enough, there are no easy games in this league.

I'd love to be relaxed at 3 or 4 nil up with 20 minutes to go, but it just doesn't happen, look at man City, romp every game at home, utterly different away from home, their fans, based on the home performances, could validly hold that opinion, maybe.

Bottom line for me is, Pardew is average, but then again I believe all but the elite few managers are much of a much-ness and "average" that's why they get recycled all the time club to club. I would also add that the elite managers tend to have the very best players at their disposal, without that how average would they themselves be ?

Having been in the "stick with him" camp because I've never seen the management merry go round work, least of all here, I was in the "he must get fired camp" after Sunlun and Liverpool last season, even a non-league team at home to those two shouldn't have lost 0-9 over two games. BUT they stuck with him and this season I have few complaints, maybe he's grown or is growing into the job because he's had that time. Maybe it'll all crash and burn, I will just enjoy the wins when they happen tbh.