Alan Pardew

Mike

Is Alan Pardew a bad manager? No.

Is he the right manager this football club? No.

I struggle to truly believe that he would have been able to guide us to fifth if he had no semblance of managerial ability. It just doesn't work like that. He's had team's promoted, he's had success. He's also had abject failure normally around the same time he's having it with us. It's that period just after the initial spell when things begin to evolve and diversify. For all our stellar performances last year, tactically it was quite rudimentary.

Two midfielders, one combative, one creative. Two centre-backs, one a bit more cultured, one a bit more aggressive and forthright. However as soon as Yohan Cabaye spoke of how Pardew wanted to play it along the ground he was ultimately doomed. To play that style you need competent technicians throughout the squad, an understanding amongst your players, and a tactical ideology on what channels/avenues you want to play the ball through.

Essentially Pardew has become confused by so many options. It was a bit like Big Sam here when we gave him a lot of money to spend. He'd never been used to that. He was always quite thrifty and picked up parsimonious options. As a consequence it meant if they failed then the outlay was minimal and they were swept under the rug (Mario Jardel, Jared Borgetti at Bolton for example). If they succeeded (like Ivan Campo, Fernando Hierro) then he was a smart shopper who used his minimal budget wisely. Yet present him with actual money and he gets the likes of Alan Smith, David Rozenhal and more recently Matt Jarvis.

The truth of the matter is, had we afforded Pardew control of transfers we'd actually not be in as much trouble. That's not me mitigating the form, more saying that his style does not run parallel with the aims and goals of our current playing stuff and ownership. A team like West Ham is far more akin to what Pardew wants. A direct side with just a dash of self-proliferated misnomer about being more than that.

That side would also be incredibly well-drilled, something he hasn't been allowed to do this year. Mainly because of Europe and injuries he's had less time on the training pitch with his strongest players, so consequently his flaws as a manager (lack of tactical response) have shone through. His inability to lay plans has seen him placed in a constant position of expression or regression. Routinely he's taken the latter and gone long ball. The fact the club are now so delicately poised on the cusp of relegation has everyone worried because this is a talented squad, regardless of when the players arrived they should not be this close to the precipice.

The whole issue has been compounded by the likes of Mauricio Pochettino swanning in and revolutionising Southampton. As we've seen, his changes are not just a consequence of the new manager bump. They're considered tactical movements that have allowed him to draw out the key skills of the players at his disposal. I think given our side, he'd drop Tiote for Anita and we'd arguably be in a better place than Southampton are right now purely because we have better technical defenders.

Sadly that's a digression for another time, hopefully when our Premier League safety is secured. I think while all the infighting and bickering ensues, there is one underlying consensus amongst fans, Alan Pardew is not the right man to lead this club. We need someone with a far more intricate approach and who understands how to use the skills available to highlight the opponent's weaknesses.

Good post with an interesting perspective.

The truth of the matter is, had we afforded Pardew control of transfers we'd actually not be in as much trouble. That's not me mitigating the form, more saying that his style does not run parallel with the aims and goals of our current playing stuff and ownership. A team like West Ham is far more akin to what Pardew wants. A direct side with just a dash of self-proliferated misnomer about being more than that.

We're s*** because the players we bought are too good for our manager? :lol:  Some decent points otherwise tbf but that made me chuckle.  Stick it on the list of excuses, 'The players are too good'.

I'd still bin him right now.  I don't care what anyone says about it being too late, he threw away 2 points yesterday due to his tactical changes.  Put anybody else in the dugout and I don't think that would have happened.  He is actively harming our chances of staying up now.

I think he means the players and Pardew do not suit each other's footballing styles/philosophy. It's like getting Pulis to manage Barca's players and Guardiola to manage Stoke's. Wrong ingredients for the recipe they have. Nothing to do with the grade or freshness of the ingredients.

What's going on with this Nixon kid? I remember him being a wannabe journalist then fucking off. Is he back now writing on the forum like some type of 20 year football reporting veteran? :lol:

Says nothing in that huge post that hasn't already been said 100 times in multiple threads.

Unfortunately we are going down with this clown in charge. Naturally in the North East we are pessimistic people. That must stem from the history of the area...... But this clown makes the darkest of days look like the end of the world.

Can't wait for Sammy and Shola up top in the Championship with this twat in charge....

I struggle to truly believe that he would have been able to guide us to fifth if he had no semblance of managerial ability. It just doesn't work like that. He's had team's promoted, he's had success. He's also had abject failure normally around the same time he's having it with us. It's that period just after the initial spell when things begin to evolve and diversify. For all our stellar performances last year, tactically it was quite rudimentary.

Two midfielders, one combative, one creative. Two centre-backs, one a bit more cultured, one a bit more aggressive and forthright. However as soon as Yohan Cabaye spoke of how Pardew wanted to play it along the ground he was ultimately doomed. To play that style you need competent technicians throughout the squad, an understanding amongst your players, and a tactical ideology on what channels/avenues you want to play the ball through.

Essentially Pardew has become confused by so many options. It was a bit like Big Sam here when we gave him a lot of money to spend. He'd never been used to that. He was always quite thrifty and picked up parsimonious options. As a consequence it meant if they failed then the outlay was minimal and they were swept under the rug (Mario Jardel, Jared Borgetti at Bolton for example). If they succeeded (like Ivan Campo, Fernando Hierro) then he was a smart shopper who used his minimal budget wisely. Yet present him with actual money and he gets the likes of Alan Smith, David Rozenhal and more recently Matt Jarvis.

That side would also be incredibly well-drilled, something he hasn't been allowed to do this year. Mainly because of Europe and injuries he's had less time on the training pitch with his strongest players, so consequently his flaws as a manager (lack of tactical response) have shone through. His inability to lay plans has seen him placed in a constant position of expression or regression. Routinely he's taken the latter and gone long ball. The fact the club are now so delicately poised on the cusp of relegation has everyone worried because this is a talented squad, regardless of when the players arrived they should not be this close to the precipice.

The whole issue has been compounded by the likes of Mauricio Pochettino swanning in and revolutionising Southampton. As we've seen, his changes are not just a consequence of the new manager bump. They're considered tactical movements that have allowed him to draw out the key skills of the players at his disposal. I think given our side, he'd drop Tiote for Anita and we'd arguably be in a better place than Southampton are right now purely because we have better technical defenders.

Sadly that's a digression for another time, hopefully when our Premier League safety is secured. I think while all the infighting and bickering ensues, there is one underlying consensus amongst fans, Alan Pardew is not the right man to lead this club. We need someone with a far more intricate approach and who understands how to use the skills available to highlight the opponent's weaknesses.

What a crock of shite.

You're a born journalist.

Guest Brazilianbob

Anyone who couldn't see this coming at least six months ago simply doesn't know very much about football.

Much agreement with the rest, but this is giving Pardew too much credit. The Manager of the Year and the 5th place finish papered over far too many cracks that were apparent last season. We had so many dirge-like performances last season that were papered over by out-of-the-blue goals. I can't fathom how Pardew managed an award apart from people who only looked at the results and/or the table. I was surely chuffed by the final reckoning, but there were signs all last season that things were not well tactically, and with all of the luck we had last year abandoning us this season, I'm disappointed, but hardly shocked where we find ourselves.

Certainly, if we survive, I have hopes for the squad, but Pardew? f*** right off out of the club please.

Absolutely spot on.  I was stunned when I got back from holiday last year to find Parsnip had been voted manager of the year.

Guest pintofscottsellers

Can't remember much from the match, one thing that does stick in my mind is bringing HBA off for Shola, what the fuck

Guest Dontooner

I feel as if I should rise to that. But, I won't.

Wow, how admirable. You've got a lovely habit of making out like people are being unreasonable when they have an opposing view like. Your argument against me tonight's been wooly at best and absolutely batshit mental to the point of being totally pointless at worst.

Sure you'll come up with another wisecrack remark to make yourself look clever like, but the quite unbelievable point is that you thought today was a positive day for NUFC. That's just incredible and we're still skirting around that point. If you really believe that then you're off your rocker.

something that has really bothered me with inochi & stu (maybe others) since we started discussing the possibility of relegation in jan/feb - plenty of sound football reasons were being offered as to why we could (not would) get dragged into a relegation battle yet they were countered by these two with nothing but an an air of over-confidence, sarcasm and smugness because we were over-reacting (!)

by all means be smug or over-confident, but have something to back it up ffs...i honestly can't recall stu or inochi offering a sound reason as to how or why we'd get ourselves out of it

Good post

The way they conducted themselves as the middle or sane people on this forum was ludicrous, they were smug and arrogant with little material with their opinions.

Pretty much "Pardew like" with all the excuses they cook up. TBH i thought Pardew actually employed people to defend him here like.

I like the perspective but there are couple of questions I want to ask regarding this post.

What constitutes a bad manager? Going from 5th to 17/18th in the league doesn't make a bad manager?

Also you say you know how Pardew wants his team to play, but hasn't he suggested time and time again that he was buying fast player to play a more direct and attacking game with pace? Doesn't it clearly make him a bad manager that he can't get the best out of his players as soon as form drops? Last season he was riding a lot of form and momentum early, as soon as we got our first real test we crumbled and lost and then couldn't play good football again until Man U and then again until he decided to put Ben Arfa on. For me Ben Arfa saved our season and got us into Europe. He gave the team a lift and we won six of seven when he came into the team.

I understand a lot of people want to give Pardew a lot of credit for the team finishing 5th, but I just can't. Obviously as our manager he had a big hand in it I just don't believe him to be due so much credit as many suggests. I think without Ben Arfa we would've probably finished around 9th, 10th something that was expected from us. And without a great start to the season even possibly a relegation battle like this season.

I'm definitely not saying he's a terrible manager, but he's not the right manager neither for this club or any club wanting to play PL football.

Very good post.

Personally think he's a bang average manager. Someone who seems to get an initial reaction from his teams but when things get ropey he can't find solutions.

Anyone praising for Pardew solely for the 5th placed finish never watched a game that season. We relied on magic from two players in the form of their lives for the first half and then the second half of the season respectively while all our tactics were set up to defend, defend, defend. Glossing over the fact that one of the most naturally gifted footballers since Gascoigne to pull on a black and white jersey was forced to play as a complete midfielder rather than a number 10. Now he's putting a guy who's fairly equivalent tactically to Yaya Toure up front alongside Cisse for most games that I've seen, regardless of where those formation sheets on Sky say he is/was playing, instead of Gouffran who would be the ideal workhorse, pacey foil making space that Cisse absolutely excels in.

It really does not take a genius to figure out what our best system is with the players we have. For Pardew not to see it reaks of pompous, stubborn arrogant pride, 'seeing' things in training that no-one else can see and picking teams based on bibs vs jerseys where no tackling is allowed rather than in real pressure football matches which separate the men from the boys. His blinkered approach blinds him to all possible criticism, feedback and evaluation. Can you imagine at any point this season if he's sat down with the players and shown them videos of Tiote giving the ball away 10-15 times a match through dire simple passes, or Gutierrez blowing chunks to keep up with young pacey players. I can't, otherwise they might have actually tried to improve or change.

People like to think our squad is good, depth-wise. Apart from up front, we've got one of the deepest squads I can remember. Of which our first 11 consists of 7-8 players who would be first choice or at least second for footballing countries such as France, Senegal, Holland across the whole park. We've got young, hungry players across every area on the pitch ready to be thrown on as subs, bursting with pride and desperate to make their mark. How you can get a squad of this quality to 17th in the Premier League with 2 games left and leaving some of us totally dejected?

The man is a fraud and has been waiting for his big payday ever since he capitulated after signing that now infamous 8-year contract.

Are you forgetting the fact that he actually already managed a team like West Ham, notably West fucking Ham and was just as bad a manager as he is now? He was afforded control of transfers and he chose to build a team that couldn't win a game(He got sacked for a reason you know). The team were neither well drilled or short of time on the training pitch and his flaws as a manager shone through just as much.

You also do not need managerial ability to be lucky. He didn't "coach" the players to score countless wonder goals last year. He had no control of Simpson or Krul scraping the ball off the line to win games. Fair enough we had a good season but it was surprise result after surprise result due mainly to moments of brilliance. The truth of the matter is that he is a complete bluffer of a man and to say that "that side would be incredibly well drilled if he had more control" is absolute nonsense. Put your thesaurus away and stop talking shite man.

Of course he's a bad manager, take a look at his CV and you'll see that this season isn't a one off.  He seems to get managerial jobs, get his feet under the table then screws up.  How is that anything other than being a bad manager?

How can you claim that he's not a bad manager then partly explain why he is a bad manager?

How can you claim that if he was afforded control of transfers we wouldn't be in as much trouble?

Of course he's a bad manager, take a look at his CV and you'll see that this season isn't a one off.  He seems to get managerial jobs, get his feet under the table then screws up.  How is that anything other than being a bad manager?

How can you claim that he's not a bad manager then partly explain why he is a bad manager?

How can you claim that if he was afforded control of transfers we wouldn't be in as much trouble?

Imagine Pardew in control of transfers man, he can barely manage/coach the team without having to conduct transfer dealings  :lol:

Guest icemanblue

The problem with having an opinion that differs to the majority, is that your reasons for having that opinion are magically turned into 'woolly' points, 'waffle', or just completely stricken from the record and forgotten. That rewriting is then used as a stick to beat you with. Take last night for example, I've given perfectly legitimate 'football reasons' for why I felt ever so slightly more optimistic than before the game. Those very same reasons have been repeated by a fair few. Yet, they're glossed over and I'm accused of being smug and condescending, by someone being smug and condescending. All without a hint of irony.

I can live with it, though, and it won't effect me personally. Interpolic style breakdowns, or being genuinely rattled on a forum is a bit of an alien concept to me. It's just not important. It's somewhere to vent, and laugh at thick people and overcompensating foreigners. People take it all too seriously, and personally, and revel in their 'stature'. No opinion of mine will change that, but I've been around long enough to know I'll keep coming back and, most of the time, enjoying it.

The problem with having an opinion that differs to the majority, is that your reasons for having that opinion are magically turned into 'woolly' points, 'waffle', or just completely stricken from the record and forgotten. That rewriting is then used as a stick to beat you with. Take last night for example, I've given perfectly legitimate 'football reasons' for why I felt ever so slightly more optimistic than before the game. Those very same reasons have been repeated by a fair few. Yet, they're glossed over and I'm accused of being smug and condescending, by someone being smug and condescending. All without a hint of irony.

I can live with it, though, and it won't effect me personally. Interpolic style breakdowns, or being genuinely rattled on a forum is a bit of an alien concept to me. It's just not important. It's somewhere to vent, and laugh at thick people and overcompensating foreigners. People take it all too seriously, and personally, and revel in their 'stature'. No opinion of mine will change that, but I've been around long enough to know I'll keep coming back and, most of the time, enjoying it.

FUCK OFF

:razz:

Rarely do i post on this forum these days, this is great thread but you, chap, are one hell of a fucking moaning, annoying irritant.

lol

Rarely do i post on this forum these days, this is great thread but you, chap, are one hell of a f***ing moaning, annoying irritant.

No death threats, well done.  :lol: