Alan Pardew

Mike

Tbf, I've had a few friends from other clubs say to me they were surprised that Pardew wasn't binned at the end of the season.  They do watch quite a bit of football so they knew how awful we were last season, unlike the casual armchair viewer.

To be fair, if i was looking at another club in this situation i'd be thinking the same thing, probably surprised lasted the season actually. Bad results in a short period of time in football these days and the outcome does usually end up with the sack. We've just tried to brag about stability for the past few years though so wouldn't look good on our part to follow suit hence probably why one more chance has been given.

I would be thinking the same thing too, but then if they stuck with their manager they would probably get a lot of credit from many quarters.

If you look at David Moyes and Everton with Kenwright holding his nerve through the troubling times when they were flirting near the bottom on more than one occasion but he stuck by and now he's managing the biggest club in the country. Whether he's earned that position or justified getting that job on his achievements from Everton is open for debate. However had Kenwright sacked him when things got tough, he certainly wouldn't be anywhere near that job right now.

Guest chopey

If we dont get at least 7 points from our first 6 games I think Pardew is gone, in fact I still think a heavy defeat against Man City and we could have a new fella in for West Ham

If we dont get at least 7 points from our first 6 games I think Pardew is gone, in fact I still think a heavy defeat against Man City and we could have a new fella in for West Ham

No chance. If that was the case they may as well have sacked him last season.

No chance IMO

So many of these 'broadcasting' individuals from 5live and talkshite etc simply have a hard time figuring out why we did so badly last season. 

None of them has even caught on to Pardew's ineptitude.  Most choosing Europa league as the logical explanation.

Guest chopey

But last season we didnt have a ready made replacement at the club who has won everything going and is just the best "football" man ever

Not many people think Pardew is as bad as we do, TBF.

Outsiders don't have THEIR team managed by him !  :laugh: If he's here, he can't be given THEIR teams job !

Agreed - and ask the fans of W Ham, Charlton and Southampton if they would have him back...

Somehow, I don't think we'll be killed in the rush....

Tbf, I've had a few friends from other clubs say to me they were surprised that Pardew wasn't binned at the end of the season.  They do watch quite a bit of football so they knew how awful we were last season, unlike the casual armchair viewer.

To be fair, if i was looking at another club in this situation i'd be thinking the same thing, probably surprised lasted the season actually. Bad results in a short period of time in football these days and the outcome does usually end up with the sack. We've just tried to brag about stability for the past few years though so wouldn't look good on our part to follow suit hence probably why one more chance has been given.

I would be thinking the same thing too, but then if they stuck with their manager they would probably get a lot of credit from many quarters.

If you look at David Moyes and Everton with Kenwright holding his nerve through the troubling times when they were flirting near the bottom on more than one occasion but he stuck by and now he's managing the biggest club in the country. Whether he's earned that position or justified getting that job on his achievements from Everton is open for debate. However had Kenwright sacked him when things got tough, he certainly wouldn't be anywhere near that job right now.

I get sick of saying this - Moyes had a better record before he came to Everton and he was much younger than Pardew...

There is NO comparison...look at Pardew's CV before NUFC.

No chance IMO

Agreed - will be October at the earliest if Pardew is to be sacked unless we get off to a really bad start in the first 5 fixtures. Ashley is desperate to avoid a pay-out if he can.

I get sick of saying this - Moyes had a better record before he came to Everton and he was much younger than Pardew...

There is NO comparison...look at Pardew's CV before NUFC.

I wouldn't say Moyes' Cv before he joined Everton made him immune to the sack. He still could have easily gone had patience and faith of Kenwright not been very high. All i was merely stating was it's not always the best option for a club to immediately send their manager to the job centre for one season of failings. Never mentioned past CV's or comparing Moyes and Pardew, just stating having a bit of patience and faith in the manager you hired isn't always a bad thing.

This been picked apart and whinged about with a fine toothcomb yet?

Alan Pardew interviewed by Mihir Bose in Tuesday's London Evening Standard, in which he gives a Capital -slanted view of the new season, admits to already eyeing the January 2014 transfer window, hopes for FA Cup success and restates the boundaries with JFK:

"He (club owner Mike Ashley) alluded to me he was going to bring in a football director. I’m the football manager of Newcastle, which is owned by Mike Ashley. It was Mike’s decision and I abide by that.

"Joe (Kinnear) absolutely does not interfere in my management of the team. Being a football manager of this sort of club and, with Joe an ex-manager there can be no crossover.

"There can be no clouding or greying of the issue. I’m the football manager. I make all the football decisions that revolve around the game that’s being played on a Saturday.

"In terms of the transfers, that’s a different story. He’s going to have an opinion. I don’t have a problem with that.

"The Manchester City and Manchester United managers will have a season where they will come under pressure. In his first year, David Moyes is going to find it difficult because it’s such a big jump from Everton.

"(Jose) Mourinho is going back to what I consider his home and he will lift Chelsea, no doubt about that. He will certainly lift the crowd. I wouldn’t want to be the opposition in that first game because it’s going to be a Mourinho love-in.

"I am a great admirer. I’m really pleased he is back. He’s amusing, a very multi-sided character, a great fellow and a great competitor.

"Arsene Wenger possibly is in a position to close the gap this year. I expect the changes to draw all of them (the top five clubs last season) closer.

"I think, within 12 months, (Gareth) Bale will be gone (from Spurs). At times something comes your way and you think it’s right . . . Wayne Rooney is in a similar position. It looks like he (Bale) wants to move. At the end of the day, the player’s mind is usually the deciding factor.

"I think of Luka Modric. He was the only one who stayed when all the signals were that he was going. Then he went a year later.

"A player’s mentality is very important. The five or 10 per cent where they’re not focused because of wanting to go somewhere is enough for them to haul off their quality. It impacts on everything. So, as a board and manager, you have to make a decision.

"They’re still going to be armed with the finance to make sure their team are definitely a Champions League competitor. There’s no doubt in my mind about that. As it is, they carry some fantastic footballers.

"He’s a finisher (Soldado), a real technical player so he will fit in nicely at Spurs and possibly fill the missing link of last year. They will be ­looking for big things from him. Those five clubs really and truly are a little distance away. They are a big step up for the rest of us.

"West Ham have an experienced manager in Sam (Allardyce), a very experienced captain in Kevin Nolan and, with the signing of Andy Carroll, they will be a top-10 team.

"Crystal Palace were my first club and one I hold dear to my heart. So I was jumping around the room when they made it. I can’t wait to go back to Selhurst Park. The Premier League’s a significant jump for Crystal Palace.

"When they were in the Premier League, they got themselves into difficult financial positions twice. They will be very conscious that doesn’t happen again. With Ian Holloway as manager, they’ll always be competitive. He’s that type of manager. So fingers crossed they have a fantastic season.

"The FA Cup has been a massive part of my career. I’ve been very close to winning it. I was seven minutes away, maybe 10, (as a player with Palace in 1990); then as West Ham manager with the last kick of the game against Liverpool (in 2006). So I’m desperate to win it and, hopefully, this year will bring some luck.

"It’s very difficult for Premier League teams to do the Thursday/Sunday turnaround given the intensity we play at. We possibly made a mistake with the squad not being big enough and took injuries.

"We addressed that in January, only to suffer even more injuries, which took away the impact of that particular transfer window. We think we will get a big benefit of that window now and Loic Remy has come from Queens Park Rangers.

"I won’t say anything in French, not even ‘oui’. My job is to integrate them and the way I do that is make them speak English as quickly as possible.

"It is very important they embrace the English culture and grasp the demands of the Premier League. One or two struggle but obviously having more French players here it is easier for them to adapt.”

Brugges (a) - D

West Ham (h) - L

Swansea (h) - L

Maritimo (h) - D

Southampton (a) - L

Stoke (a) - L

Manu (a) - L

Arsenal (a) - L

Everton (h) - L

Brighton (a) - D

Norwich (a) - D

Reading (h) - L

Wigan (a) - L

Man City (a) - L

Benfica (a) - L

Fulham (h) - W

Benfica (h) - D

Mackems (h) - L

West Brom (a) - D

Liverpool (h) - L

Incredible how a manager out-lasted three separate runs of absolutely abysmal form. That's before you consider the amount of goals conceded, too.

Nobody can expect much against Man City. We'll then have 2 home games with a trip to Morecambe in between. Pardew will have to keep the players morale up if we take a heavy beating on the first day and tell them the season starts againts WHAM. We haven't got a bad start on paper and, if the players believe in themselves we could have decent set of results through to September.

Brugges (a) - D

West Ham (h) - L

Swansea (h) - L

Maritimo (h) - D

Southampton (a) - L

Stoke (a) - L

Manu (a) - L

Arsenal (a) - L

Everton (h) - L

Brighton (a) - D

Norwich (a) - D

Reading (h) - L

Wigan (a) - L

Man City (a) - L

Benfica (a) - L

Fulham (h) - W

Benfica (h) - D

Mackems (h) - L

West Brom (a) - D

Liverpool (h) - L

Incredible how a manager out-lasted three separate runs of absolutely abysmal form. That's before you consider the amount of goals conceded, too.

Shocking stuff.

I saw Laudrup earlier this week. Talking up Europe, and how the earlier start will have them raring to go at Man United in the first game, as they'll be more up to speed.

What a contrast ...

Brugges (a) - D

West Ham (h) - L

Swansea (h) - L

Maritimo (h) - D

Southampton (a) - L

Stoke (a) - L

Manu (a) - L

Arsenal (a) - L

Everton (h) - L

Brighton (a) - D

Norwich (a) - D

Reading (h) - L

Wigan (a) - L

Man City (a) - L

Benfica (a) - L

Fulham (h) - W

Benfica (h) - D

Mackems (h) - L

West Brom (a) - D

Liverpool (h) - L

Shocking stuff.

I could've just stuck the whole season in, tbh.

This been picked apart and whinged about with a fine toothcomb yet?

Alan Pardew interviewed by Mihir Bose in Tuesday's London Evening Standard, in which he gives a Capital -slanted view of the new season, admits to already eyeing the January 2014 transfer window, hopes for FA Cup success and restates the boundaries with JFK:

"It’s very difficult for Premier League teams to do the Thursday/Sunday turnaround given the intensity we play at. We possibly made a mistake with the squad not being big enough and took injuries.

"We addressed that in January, only to suffer even more injuries, which took away the impact of that particular transfer window. We think we will get a big benefit of that window now and Loic Remy has come from Queens Park Rangers.

Is he talking about getting players in next January, or about seeing the benefit of last Januarys signings in the new season?  Bit cheeky by .com, IMO

^^ It is actually. Hard to believe he made it through the summer but now that he has, i think the fixture list (opening day conceding) has blessed him with a decent set. IF there's anything about him he should be able to dig himself out of the hole he fell in somewhat.

Brugges (a) - D

West Ham (h) - L

Swansea (h) - L

Maritimo (h) - D

Southampton (a) - L

Stoke (a) - L

Manu (a) - L

Arsenal (a) - L

Everton (h) - L

Brighton (a) - D

Norwich (a) - D

Reading (h) - L

Wigan (a) - L

Man City (a) - L

Benfica (a) - L

Fulham (h) - W

Benfica (h) - D

Mackems (h) - L

West Brom (a) - D

Liverpool (h) - L

Shocking stuff.

I could've just stuck the whole season in, tbh.

Please don't.  :jones: