Alan Pardew

Mike

Back in the 70s we had Joe Harvey as manager up until 1975 when Gordon Lee took over after Joe's retirement.

Joe had been in charge since the early 60s and got the club promoted in 65 after a couple of abortive attempts. After promotion, we had a team that basically was a lower half side and we lost to the Mackems heavily a couple of  times in that decade. Joe was lucky in that we had some good kids coming through and Foggon, Dyson and John Craggs all came into the first team squad in time for our fortunate qualification for the Fairs Cup at the end of 67/68...Bobby Moncur and David Craig had already got into the first team by then and were respected internationals.....Joe was probably at his best as a manager between 65 and 71...after that, things started going downhill and it wasn't until a coach called Keith Burkinshaw started taking training

that things improved and we played some great stuff between 72-75 but Burky left and went to Tottenham, eventually becoming manager and winning the FA Cup there in 81....

The point here is that we don't know what has happened in the close season reg coaching of the first team....my bet is that Ashley has told Pardew to sort it or else and get the side playing better football - Pardew is NOT an exponent of carpet football so I would lay odds that one of the coaches - possibly Carver - has started having more input in day to day training as well as asking the senior players for their feelings on what has been wrong ; don't forget, Jonas took Pardew to task about the players' fitness and that seems to have been addressed by what we have seen so far. Certainly, the side looked much fitter on Saturday and lasted the Fulham game better too so maybe the fitness coach has also made herself useful.

Either way, I don't accept that Pardew has made the difference - why do it now when he obviously couldn't before - at ANY of his clubs...?

He probably picks the team - after consultation with his coaches etc...and that's it.

Something is wrong with Pardews thinking, when if we get an injury or two, which we will as every team does. Rather than stay 4-3-3, he will almost definitely change to a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2 system to cope with them imo (hope he doesn't).

The squad is better playing 4-3-3, why not just place a player possibly not as suited to a position in a 4-3-3, say such as Jonas (hear me out) wide left of the front 3 as an example. And keep the system most of the squad are suited too and more comfortable with, Rather than go to a system that nearly all the squad are very poor in.

I'd rather see a player or two slightly out of position covering injuries, than a whole team struggling. Anyway imo we have cover in a 4-3-3, Gouffran for any of the front 3 positions, Sammy/Obertan for both wide positions up front. Tiote/Marv/Jonas/Gosling/Bigi/Haris while not great cover the central midfield 3. Shola (haha) covering Cisse down the middle. I dont get changing the system because of a couple of injuries.

And tbh why we haven't been using 4-3-3 for so long either, there's simply isn't an excuse for not using it for over a season until now when you look at the players Pardew has.

Yep his comments about not being able to put out an attacking side since Ba left (like we played well first half of that season lol) really reveal his problem, he's too scared of losing that the only way he'll take the handbrake off our team is if literally everyone is fit. Admitably with some injuries we are blunt but he doesn't even consider that setting us up more attacking gives us opportunities, to Pardew if his players aren't on the pitch it's all hands in defence better hope for a point.

It's nice to see even so after all this time that Pardew can even take the handbrake off and let us play, and the players remember how. Hopefully it won't be kneejerked back on anytime soon.

Can we cease the psycho analysis of the man's mindset based on some throwaway quotes from the manager? He is a liar (most managers are) who uses the media to placate the fans, bask in glory when things go well, and make excuses when they do not. This is typical nonsense from him. Judge the man by his actions, not his words.

Something is wrong with Pardews thinking, when if we get an injury or two, which we will as every team does. Rather than stay 4-3-3, he will almost definitely change to a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2 system to cope with them imo (hope he doesn't).

The squad is better playing 4-3-3, why not just place a player possibly not as suited to a position in a 4-3-3, say such as Jonas (hear me out) wide left of the front 3 as an example. And keep the system most of the squad are suited too and more comfortable with, Rather than go to a system that nearly all the squad are very poor in.

I'd rather see a player or two slightly out of position covering injuries, than a whole team struggling. Anyway imo we have cover in a 4-3-3, Gouffran for any of the front 3 positions, Sammy/Obertan for both wide positions up front. Tiote/Marv/Jonas/Gosling/Bigi/Haris while not great cover the central midfield 3. Shola (haha) covering Cisse down the middle. I dont get changing the system because of a couple of injuries.

And tbh why we haven't been using 4-3-3 for so long either, there's simply isn't an excuse for not using it for over a season until now when you look at the players Pardew has.

Yep his comments about not being able to put out an attacking side since Ba left (like we played well first half of that season lol) really reveal his problem, he's too scared of losing that the only way he'll take the handbrake off our team is if literally everyone is fit. Admitably with some injuries we are blunt but he doesn't even consider that setting us up more attacking gives us opportunities, to Pardew if his players aren't on the pitch it's all hands in defence better hope for a point.

It's nice to see even so after all this time that Pardew can even take the handbrake off and let us play, and the players remember how. Hopefully it won't be kneejerked back on anytime soon.

Can we cease the psycho analysis of the man's mindset based on some throwaway quotes from the manager? He is a liar (most managers are) who uses the media to placate the fans, bask in glory when things go well, and make excuses when they do not. This is typical nonsense from him. Judge the man by his actions, not his words.

A man is only as good as his word.

Can't believe i'm still reading Pardew negativity, he couldn't have done anymore on Saturday. A lot on here were slating him midweek onwards saying Taylor would be back in regardless of clean sheets, Anita would be out for Tiote, Remy won't play when Jonas is fit. It's a load of shite man. He got everything spot on, i was ridiculed on here for taking drugs when i said as soon as Remy would be fit, we would go back to 4-3-3 in the formation we had with Ba yet that's exactly we have done as soon as he had a full squad to choose from, which has been the first time in a long time. This is all we did when finished 5th, got off to a good start and maintained that run of form, Pardew is capable of doing that. People around the country were just waiting for us to fall back down to mid table mediocrity but it never happened, we just kept going. Pardew has problems when things turn sour because he isn't really a good manager, but with this side in form, he's capable of having another good season regardless if people hate him or not. Yes it was just the one game on Saturday where it all came together, but you could see over the past few games we were slowly getting it all together and it's a joy to see now . Hopefully more and more fans will start to turn their heads around and realise we are actually building something special here and get behind it.

Can't believe i'm still reading Pardew negativity, he couldn't have done anymore on Saturday. A lot on here were slating him midweek onwards saying Taylor would be back in regardless of clean sheets, Anita would be out for Tiote, Remy won't play when Jonas is fit. It's a load of s**** man. He got everything spot on, i was ridiculed on here for taking drugs when i said as soon as Remy would be fit, we would go back to 4-3-3 in the formation we had with Ba yet that's exactly we have done as soon as he had a full squad to choose from, which has been the first time in a long time. This is all we did when finished 5th, got off to a good start and maintained that run of form, Pardew is capable of doing that. People around the country were just waiting for us to fall back down to mid table mediocrity but it never happened, we just kept going. Pardew has problems when things turn sour because he isn't really a good manager, but with this side in form, he's capable of having another good season regardless if people hate him or not. Yes it was just the one game on Saturday where it all came together, but you could see over the past few games we were slowly getting it all together and it's a joy to see now . Hopefully more and more fans will start to turn their heads around and realise we are actually building something special here and get behind it.

One good game doesn't restore confidence after 12 months of the shittiest shit performances you'd ever see and flirting with relegation, being thwarted by Sunderland and losing 0-6 at SJP. Fuck that. He has a long, long way to go.

First good signs in over a year.

Guest icemanblue

Can't believe i'm still reading Pardew negativity, he couldn't have done anymore on Saturday. A lot on here were slating him midweek onwards saying Taylor would be back in regardless of clean sheets, Anita would be out for Tiote, Remy won't play when Jonas is fit. It's a load of shite man. He got everything spot on, i was ridiculed on here for taking drugs when i said as soon as Remy would be fit, we would go back to 4-3-3 in the formation we had with Ba yet that's exactly we have done as soon as he had a full squad to choose from, which has been the first time in a long time. This is all we did when finished 5th, got off to a good start and maintained that run of form, Pardew is capable of doing that. People around the country were just waiting for us to fall back down to mid table mediocrity but it never happened, we just kept going. Pardew has problems when things turn sour because he isn't really a good manager, but with this side in form, he's capable of having another good season regardless if people hate him or not. Yes it was just the one game on Saturday where it all came together, but you could see over the past few games we were slowly getting it all together and it's a joy to see now . Hopefully more and more fans will start to turn their heads around and realise we are actually building something special here and get behind it.

Mate, it's early days. The signs are positive, but there needs to be definite sustained improvement. No point getting carried away with yourself just yet.

I agree, however, that some are simply shifting the goalposts in order to keep up the 'I H8 TEH CUNT' stance.

Can't believe i'm still reading Pardew negativity, he couldn't have done anymore on Saturday. A lot on here were slating him midweek onwards saying Taylor would be back in regardless of clean sheets, Anita would be out for Tiote, Remy won't play when Jonas is fit. It's a load of s**** man. He got everything spot on, i was ridiculed on here for taking drugs when i said as soon as Remy would be fit, we would go back to 4-3-3 in the formation we had with Ba yet that's exactly we have done as soon as he had a full squad to choose from, which has been the first time in a long time. This is all we did when finished 5th, got off to a good start and maintained that run of form, Pardew is capable of doing that. People around the country were just waiting for us to fall back down to mid table mediocrity but it never happened, we just kept going. Pardew has problems when things turn sour because he isn't really a good manager, but with this side in form, he's capable of having another good season regardless if people hate him or not. Yes it was just the one game on Saturday where it all came together, but you could see over the past few games we were slowly getting it all together and it's a joy to see now . Hopefully more and more fans will start to turn their heads around and realise we are actually building something special here and get behind it.

One good game doesn't restore confidence after 12 months of the shittiest s*** performances you'd ever see and flirting with relegation, being thwarted by Sunderland and losing 0-6 at SJP. f*** that. He has a long, long way to go.

First good signs in over a year.

Yes you're right but i've said all along, everything we could possibly think of went wrong last year, we were a mess all over the place. During pre-season i said if everyone forgets last season and we get confidence instilled back around the club and get off to a good start then anything is possible and that's what we have done. I mentioned during pre-season we looked like we were a side that was starting to try and play football, there was less long balls and more possession, we've slowly just tried to work on that and we are getting better and better at it. I’m looking forward to seeing this side develop as this is only the start of what they are capable of.

Mate, it's early days. The signs are positive, but there needs to be definite sustained improvement. No point getting carried away with yourself just yet.

I agree, however, that some are simply shifting the goalposts in order to keep up the 'I H8 TEH c***' stance.

I know what you mean however i'm allowing myself to get carried away as i've always remained faithful that once we gout our team fully fit we could put in that type of performance and we did just that. Even i thought we might need a bit of time to gel it back together however it clicked very well and we will only get stronger. Really fancy us to kick on from this, just praying injuries are kind with us so this side can all improve together, was actually nice to watch them repay me for my faith I’ve had in them…finally. Now it’s time for them to show just how far they can go.

We played 4-2-3-1 on Saturday, Bimpy. We've really never played 4-3-3 with Pardew in charge, there's always been someone at the tip of a midfield triangle. 2 years ago it was Cabaye, last year Sissoko, Cabaye again on the weekend.

Whoscored have the players' positional maps.

Guest icemanblue

I agree, however, that some are simply shifting the goalposts in order to keep up the 'I H8 TEH c***' stance.

I know what you mean however i'm allowing myself to get carried away as i've always remained faithful that once we gout our team fully fit we could put in that type of performance and we did just that. Even i thought we might need a bit of time to gel it back together however it clicked very well and we will only get stronger. Really fancy us to kick on from this, just praying injuries are kind with us so this side can all improve together, was actually nice to watch them repay me for my faith I’ve had in them…finally. Now it’s time for them to show just how far they can go.

I obviously hope you're right, but, moreso, I hope you have every single part of your body touching wood at the moment, like. :lol:

Share these feelings to a certain extent, although I'm aware that we're on a knife edge still and a setback could hurt us. The fixtures have been kind-ish except for the City game. That said, I was proud yesterday that we turned in a performance that I knew we were capable of. It was nice to be enjoying a game for once.

Pardew gets credit from me (surprise surprise etc) for ending up with the right XI eventually. Although he has been helped by injuries to Jonas/Taylor etc, he seems to have picked up some faith that the likes of Anita and Mapou are the best option. Now lets see how long he can stay the course.

Back in the 70s we had Joe Harvey as manager up until 1975 when Gordon Lee took over after Joe's retirement.

Joe had been in charge since the early 60s and got the club promoted in 65 after a couple of abortive attempts. After promotion, we had a team that basically was a lower half side and we lost to the Mackems heavily a couple of  times in that decade. Joe was lucky in that we had some good kids coming through and Foggon, Dyson and John Craggs all came into the first team squad in time for our fortunate qualification for the Fairs Cup at the end of 67/68...Bobby Moncur and David Craig had already got into the first team by then and were respected internationals.....Joe was probably at his best as a manager between 65 and 71...after that, things started going downhill and it wasn't until a coach called Keith Burkinshaw started taking training

that things improved and we played some great stuff between 72-75 but Burky left and went to Tottenham, eventually becoming manager and winning the FA Cup there in 81....

The point here is that we don't know what has happened in the close season reg coaching of the first team....my bet is that Ashley has told Pardew to sort it or else and get the side playing better football - Pardew is NOT an exponent of carpet football so I would lay odds that one of the coaches - possibly Carver - has started having more input in day to day training as well as asking the senior players for their feelings on what has been wrong ; don't forget, Jonas took Pardew to task about the players' fitness and that seems to have been addressed by what we have seen so far. Certainly, the side looked much fitter on Saturday and lasted the Fulham game better too so maybe the fitness coach has also made herself useful.

Either way, I don't accept that Pardew has made the difference - why do it now when he obviously couldn't before - at ANY of his clubs...?

He probably picks the team - after consultation with his coaches etc...and that's it.

Keith Burkenshaw was a terrific manager.  Wish we had given him the job after Harvey.

Pardew gets credit from me (surprise surprise etc) for ending up with the right XI eventually. Although he has been helped by injuries to Jonas/Taylor etc, he seems to have picked up some faith that the likes of Anita and Mapou are the best option. Now lets see how long he can stay the course.

Without a doubt, Taylor/Tiote/Jonas being out at the same time was a blessing although i'm fairly certain Taylor/Jonas wouldn't be in regardless. Still fancy Tiote to creep back into the side at some point but no way is Remy/Mym coming out for the other two. Pardew hasn't even been giving enough praise for which deserves for how well he has actually utilised Ben Arfa and got him playing some of the best football of his career, really think the way he has handled Ben Arfa here has been superb.

The negativity has nothing to do with this weekend, I'm sure everybody is happy for a change. The hype following that performance is far too early and that shouldn't need pointing out but it clearly does.

Without a doubt, Taylor/Tiote/Jonas being out at the same time was a blessing although i'm fairly certain Taylor/Jonas wouldn't be in regardless. Still fancy Tiote to creep back into the side at some point but no way is Remy/Mym coming out for the other two. Pardew hasn't even been giving enough praise for which deserves for how well he has actually utilised Ben Arfa and got him playing some of the best football of his career, really think the way he has handled Ben Arfa here has been superb.

Except for when he selected him to play on his own up front in sub zero temperature on a plastic pitch in Russia/ Ukraine after being out injured for a month or so with a muscle injury.

The negativity has nothing to do with this weekend, I'm sure everybody is happy for a change. The hype following that performance is far too early and that shouldn't need pointing out but it clearly does.

Yeah i can certainly see why the doubters don't want to get excited just yet, i'm pretty sure they will stand up soon though and start to take notice of what we actually have here.

Pardew used the 4-3-3 formation to his advantage two seasons ago when the Magpies finished fifth.

He said: “I know we have had a lot of criticism playing the shape we do when we play the five – with the two wide players up the top of the pitch.

“However, when it works, and it did work when we finished fifth, it works well.

“We won six on the trot with that system. It is something we have to get right home and away this season.”

No, Alan. I'd be critical of any formation that relies on Jonas and Shola or Cissé as wide men.

Except for when he selected him to play on his own up front in sub zero temperature on a plastic pitch in Russia/ Ukraine after being out injured for a month or so with a muscle injury.

Agree that was very strange, however i didn't want him against Morecambe either in fear of something like that yet he won us the game.

Sometimes you can "stumble" across a system & formation through injuries and circumstances. That's not particularly a bad thing.

Go back to Keegan's second stint here, the few games before we played Birmingham away and reverted to the 4-3-3 that got us playing good football, we had Owen & Smith up front in a 4-4-2, with Duff on the left, Milner on the right, Butt & Barton in the middle. Milner & Duff got injured at Liverpool, Viduka came back from injury, and all of a sudden, 4-3-3.

See, I don't get this idea that he's just twigged or got lucky with the team due to injuries.

He's been after a starting central defender which was always likely to see Taylor as the one benched. His priority has been to get Remy in for a while, and this summer also one more for the left/up front to push/push out Jonas. He love Tiote, and I do too, and yes, he will play a lot this season, but he has also consistently said that this year will be Anitas year, someone we have invested in heavily.

He has also consistently said that this is the kind of football he wants to see. Here I can't defend him as much, not least because I don't find it easy to see him as the greatest of managers, but also because it seems that as as soon as things go against us, whether that be injuries, fatigue, no signings, or fuck knows what else he gets panicked and thinks safety first. But that's not to say he hasn't always been aiming for this kind of team. I think he has.

Ultimately, we have some really talented players.

All Pardew has to do is pick the right ones, in the correct positions, and we'll play well.

Literally all he has to do. Even his silly defensive mind set won't be able to hold them back.

I thank God every day for that Man city game. A humiliating experience at the time, but it got Jonas, Tiote and Taylor out of the team.

Pardew would never, ever have changed those three all at once otherwise.

If we can keep the current team playing together consistently for the next month or so, imagine how good they'll be looking then?