Alan Pardew

Mike

Brett you saying you think Pardew is s*** is like me telling Mrs Bimpy she doesn't have a fat arse. I'm lying through my teeth for an easy life.

I defend him to an extent because of the abuse he gets is way over the top. People on here think I believe Pardew is the man for the job when that's far from the case, I would love a top manager to come in but that's highly unlikely. What i defend more than a hell of a lot others on here is the players in our side, i couldn't rate them highly enough and just because they were poor last season as a team, i don't believe they showed themselves in best light, i think this season they will put last season's horror show well and truly behind them and we will have a good season. What exactly is wrong with thinking that? If people think we'll be in a relegation battle, that's their opinion, if people want to protest for Pardew/Ashely out, it's their right to do so, i'd rather just be proud of the players we have at the club, embrace the fact they are here and get behind Pardew to get the best out of them rather than bringing the manager/players down at any given opportunity.

Guest icemanblue

Brett, tone it down a bit, man. Stop talking for other people, too. You're the only one coming in here gloating after wins.

Brett, tone it down a bit, man. Stop talking for other people, too. You're the only one coming in here gloating after wins.

Sorry. Anyone can feel free to pop up and say they think Pardew is the man for the job if they disagree with what i said. I went overboard after Villa, i haven't said too much regarding the Cardiff game except we showed great carachter and spirit within the camp to bounce back from the first 45 minutes against Everton  :)

Brett you saying you think Pardew is s*** is like me telling Mrs Bimpy she doesn't have a fat arse. I'm lying through my teeth for an easy life.

I defend him to an extent because of the abuse he gets is way over the top. People on here think I believe Pardew is the man for the job when that's far from the case, I would love a top manager to come in but that's highly unlikely. What i defend more than a hell of a lot others on here is the players in our side, i couldn't rate them highly enough and just because they were poor last season as a team, i don't believe they showed themselves in best light, i think this season they will put last season's horror show well and truly behind them and we will have a good season. What exactly is wrong with thinking that? If people think we'll be in a relegation battle, that's their opinion, if people want to protest for Pardew/Ashely out, it's their right to do so, i'd rather just be proud of the players we have at the club, embrace the fact they are here and get behind Pardew to get the best out of them rather than bringing the manager/players down at any given opportunity.

Just for you, Inochi  :aww:

Pardew improve?  Unlikely.

Ashley appoint a good manager?  Unlikely.

The only question that I would ask is which course of action is more dangerous for the club?  Allowing Pardew to plot our mediocre survival or Ashley taking it upon himself to have another go at change?

Given the histories of the two men, i still think Pardew's hands are a safer bet than Ashley's. 

The only question that I would ask is which course of action is more dangerous for the club?  Allowing Pardew to plot our mediocre survival or Ashley taking it upon himself to have another go at change?

Given the histories of the two men, i still think Pardew's hands are a safer bet than Ashley's. 

Very sensible post!

Would we be willing to accept the risk of an up and coming manager (only type likely to take job), not yet proven in the prem (although you could argue quite the same regards Percy), who would accept a shoestring budget and players being sold without his permission and the rest of the bullshift that comes with Fatboy and his sycophant jester?

Very sensible post!

Would we be willing to accept the risk of an up and coming manager (only type likely to take job), not yet proven in the prem (although you could argue quite the same regards Percy), who would accept a shoestring budget and players being sold without his permission and the rest of the bullshift that comes with Fatboy and his sycophant jester?

I think it's a massive risk for little reward.  The very most it seems people are hoping for is that we push the top 7 and play with a bit more attacking verve, without collectively shitting ourselves once we concede. Is that really a prize worth all the upheaval?  The increased entropy a new manager brings to a club, especially an Ashley appointment, is just as likely to worsen the situation (more likely?) as improve it.

Obviously if Pardew ever has us hopelessly entrenched within the bottom 5, I would recalibrate the risks/rewards involved with keeping or losing him.  But that's never been an issue so far.

I think that is the truth underlying everything in football at the moment - how hard (or for Ashley, read 'expensive') it is to realistically improve to the level of Liverpool and Spurs etc.

I do think we sometimes play as less than the sum of our parts though, but whether that translates into many extra league positions is hard to say.

How depressing, we are stuck in a perpetual cycle of thrift coupled with average management (in many aspects)...

Oh well, let's raise a glass to "top ten acheivment" i.e. 7th to 10th, we wouldn't want another season of squad sapping Uefa... would we?

Personally it's a risk I'd be more then willing to take. If there's any chance that a managerial change will stop almost anyone in the top half being able to fuck us up the arse whenever they feel like it, or to actually start beating the mackems again instead of letting them come to SJP and take the piss out of us then bring it on

I think that is the truth underlying everything in football at the moment - how hard (or for Ashley, read 'expensive') it is to realistically improve to the level of Liverpool and Spurs etc.

I do think we sometimes play as less than the sum of our parts though, but whether that translates into many extra league positions is hard to say.

It wouldn't cost a lot to hire a good football manager who isn't in the job on a depressingly long deal because he's his mate. That would translate into extra league positions very cheaply.

It wouldn't cost a lot to hire a good football manager who isn't in the job on a depressingly long deal because he's his mate. That would translate into extra league positions very cheaply.

Well that's the whole debate isn't it? Who would we get, how much would it cost, how much would the improvement really be?

I don't really have a desire to get trapped in the cyclical vortex that is this thread, so I'll just say that there's no debate for me.

Importantly, there's not enough will from on high to want the club to push on so it's all a bit moot. There may be desperation from on high in a few weeks time, perhaps.

Well that's the whole debate isn't it? Who would we get, how much would it cost, how much would the improvement really be?

Finding a manager equipped to bring us long term success is what we should demand, but not expect from the toad in charge. That's quite a difficult thing to do, as it should be in top level sport.

Finding a better manager than Alan Pardew? The man was still on the way down to his natural level after being sacked by Saints. You could literally put a pin in the Championship table and come up trumps if that's all you're after. It would be so so easy.

Finding a manager equipped to bring us long term success is what we should demand, but not expect from the toad in charge. That's quite a difficult thing to do, as it should be in top level sport.

Finding a better manager than Alan Pardew? The man was still on the way down to his natural level after being sacked by Saints. You could literally put a pin in the Championship table and come up trumps if that's all you're after. It would be so so easy.

If that's your view of his level then aye, it's hard to argue against that point of view. If you think any randomly-selected manager would be better than I guess you can't lose.

It's a simplistic view.

Half the battle for a Newcastle manager is saying the right things publicly.  We often hate to hear it, but someone like Keegan could not keep the powder keg of a power struggle at bay with Kinnear and Ashley or ensure Ashley isn't irked by financial demands being made on him.

Call Pardew a spineless, slimy, yes-man, but he does what's required to keep the non-football machinations at bay.

On the pitch he's had his failings, and will have more, but there's 8 clubs below us that have had more transfer funds than Pardew has.

On the pitch he's had his failings, and will have more, but there's 8 clubs below us that have had more transfer funds than Pardew has.

That doesn't, I take it, factor in the inherited value of their respective squads? Or, more relevantly, their current market value?

That doesn't, I take it, factor in the inherited value of their respective squads? Or, more relevantly, their current market value?

Of course. We should expect to be above them because of that.  But how many clubs above us have a less valuable squad? 

Just Hull and Southampton?

Of course. We should expect to be above them because of that.  But how many clubs above us have a less valuable squad? 

Just Hull and Southampton?

Genuine question; in your view, is Graham Carr a help or a hindrance to Alan Pardew?