Alan Pardew

Mike

I think most of the interview that .com have transcribed is a back-tracking and contradictory pile of excuses, whilst being fairly patronising at the same time. For a start, for him to say we're after a trophy - after the revelations at the fans forum - you just know it's a load of cobblers, as if the previous performances in the FA Cup weren't enough to tell you that, regardless of how he'd like to dress them up.

To a neutral he probably comes across well; he speaks with intelligence and is quite smooth; some might even say his soundbites are 'thoughtful'. They're thoughtful in the same way a politician's quotes are thoughtful - in that they're pre-meditated and skirt around the edges with false truths. But when you know the situation as well as we do, you literally can't take anything he says seriously. Whether that's because he's got his hands tied or because he's a bit slimy (both, imo), it doesn't make a difference - they mean nothing.

Whatever causes his quotes, or whether there's any point in taking them seriously, they still irritate. I'm sick of being spun a story and being told what I want/think.

Well said.

The closest he came was saying the passion and the highs and lows can make things tougher, but he didn't say he wanted to change this, rather to learn to embrace it.

"It (supporting Newcastle) is almost religious.

"Everything revolves around the team in this city. The highs are high, if we win we could be heading for Europe, or going to win the cup.

"But if we lose, we're going to go down, so it's those extremes you have to manage. The expectation is such that it's very difficult at times, I find it difficult to manage Newcastle, and I think most managers who have been at Newcastle find it difficult.

"It's a city that loves it (the club) so much that it hurts itself, because of that love.

"If there was perhaps less pressure on our results, and the effect on the city, it would probably be a better club. But that's what it is, it's never going to change."

No mention of embracing anything. He wants us to be completely apathetic about our club so his job is easier. The cunt.

I generally think most people have given Ashley, Llambias, Kinnear, Pardew and whoever else the benefit of the doubt since we were repromoted and stabilised again.  I think its on the turn, slowly.  Pardew hasn't had anywhere near the wrath of the fans.  Not even a sniff,  hes had a pretty easy ride so far.

Souness had much more pressure to deal with.

I think most of the interview that .com have transcribed is a back-tracking and contradictory pile of excuses, whilst being fairly patronising at the same time. For a start, for him to say we're after a trophy - after the revelations at the fans forum - you just know it's a load of cobblers, as if the previous performances in the FA Cup weren't enough to tell you that, regardless of how he'd like to dress them up.

To a neutral he probably comes across well; he speaks with intelligence and is quite smooth; some might even say his soundbites are 'thoughtful'. They're thoughtful in the same way a politician's quotes are thoughtful - in that they're pre-meditated and skirt around the edges with false truths. But when you know the situation as well as we do, you literally can't take anything he says seriously. Whether that's because he's got his hands tied or because he's a bit slimy (both, imo), it doesn't make a difference - they mean nothing.

Whatever causes his quotes, or whether there's any point in taking them seriously, they still irritate. I'm sick of being spun a story and being told what I want/think.

so like every other manager. I'd take what any of them say with a huge pinch of salt

Just about the only thing Pardew has said of late i'll take seriously is when he said, we have no consistancy and need to play better for a whole game. First half against Cardiff, Last 20 minutes against Fulham as examples.

But the Man City, West Ham, Hull (2nd half), and first half against Everton were as bad as last season. Just without the endless hoofs, wahey a plus point.

Our season so far has been little different to last other than less kick and rush.  We've played the hoofball but a lot less and that should be recognised, other than that, it's more of the same.

Looks like you've found your fool, bimpy.. :lol:

In all seriousness, what is this obsession with judging a manager on series of entire matches of positive, dominant carpet football? There's not a single team in the Premier League that has played 630 minutes of it, and in reality I don't believe any manager at any time in the history of NUFC will have only known dominance and splendid football for matches on end. Top level football is more often than not far to finely poised for one team to be able to dominate for 90 minutes, so the difference between success and failure becomes taking whatever chances you create effectively and organised defending without concentration lapses.

Personally, I believe we have seen quite a few periods in matches where we have been dominant for quite long stretches, and have created a fair few more chances than last season. There are certainly signs of improvement, to deny so is just churlish.

Good post. Exactly how I see it.

Guest icemanblue

Just about the only thing Pardew has said of late i'll take seriously is when he said, we have no consistancy and need to play better for a whole game. First half against Cardiff, Last 20 minutes against Fulham as examples.

But the Man City, West Ham, Hull (2nd half), and first half against Everton were as bad as last season. Just without the endless hoofs, wahey a plus point.

Our season so far has been little different to last other than less kick and rush.  We've played the hoofball but a lot less and that should be recognised, other than that, it's more of the same.

In all seriousness, what is this obsession with judging a manager on series of entire matches of positive, dominant carpet football? There's not a single team in the Premier League that has played 630 minutes of it, and in reality I don't believe any manager at any time in the history of NUFC will have only known dominance and splendid football for matches on end. Top level football is more often than not far to finely poised for one team to be able to dominate for 90 minutes, so the difference between success and failure becomes taking whatever chances you create effectively and organised defending without concentration lapses.

Personally, I believe we have seen quite a few periods in matches where we have been dominant for quite long stretches, and have created a fair few more chances than last season. There are certainly signs of improvement, to deny so is just churlish.

Fuckin' ey, man. Right on.

The closest he came was saying the passion and the highs and lows can make things tougher, but he didn't say he wanted to change this, rather to learn to embrace it.

"Everything revolves around the team in this city. The highs are high, if we win we could be heading for Europe, or going to win the cup.

"But if we lose, we're going to go down, so it's those extremes you have to manage. The expectation is such that it's very difficult at times, I find it difficult to manage Newcastle, and I think most managers who have been at Newcastle find it difficult.

"It's a city that loves it (the club) so much that it hurts itself, because of that love.

"If there was perhaps less pressure on our results, and the effect on the city, it would probably be a better club. But that's what it is, it's never going to change."

No mention of embracing anything. He wants us to be completely apathetic about our club so his job is easier. The cunt.

Well, no mention in your quote, no. :rolleyes:

For some reason, you seem to have missed out this bit - 

"You gotta love it... you can't get away from what it is. But if you can't, if that doesn't drive you, then nothing is going to drive you in this game. I try and feed off it as best I can. The Geordies are a fun loving city, they love their football. I've tried to put on the pitch this year a more entertaining team. Paid the price at one or two games, but we are going to continue to do that because that is what we and the fans want."

Is he wanting us to be completely apathetic about our club so his job is easier? No, of course not.

Saying last year we can't be proud of what we did but this year if we can get consistency we're not far away from the team that finished 5th, we now have a stronger squad and the resources to compete in both cups.

Is that dampening expectation for this season? Doesn't sound like it.

When asked about the priority for the club not to be in the cups, he said that may be what the accountants want, but not what he wants. "Silverware is the priority". When challenged to look at what happened to Wigan after winning a cup, he said no, look at Swansea.

Is that being negative. No.

No mention of embracing anything. He wants us to be completely apathetic about our club so his job is easier. The c***.

"You gotta love it... you can't get away from what it is. But if you can't, if that doesn't drive you, then nothing is going to drive you in this game. I try and feed off it as best I can. The Geordies are a fun loving city, they love their football. I've tried to put on the pitch this year a more entertaining team. Paid the price at one or two games, but we are going to continue to do that because that is what we and the fans want."

Is he wanting us to be completely apathetic about our club so his job is easier? No, of course not.

Saying last year we can't be proud of what we did but this year if we can get consistency we're not far away from the team that finished 5th, we now have a stronger squad and the resources to compete in both cups.

When asked about the priority for the club not to be in the cups, he said that may be what the accountants want, but not what he wants. "Silverware is the priority". When challenged to look at what happened to Wigan after winning a cup, he said no, look at Swansea.

:thup:

He constantly and deliberately tells us we can't compete and has now said we shouldn't even aspire to. He wants us all to shut up and accept mediocrity so his job is safe and easy and some are buying it.

Look at Swansea? He wants to win a cup? "Fank god we was not in Europe again".

Guest bimpy474

Looks like you've found your fool, bimpy.. :lol: i have no idea what this is about  :dontknow:

PS : Only a fool would deny we have been better, and are trying to play better stuff tbf.

Me just a page before, we are playing less hoofball and if you go another few posts back you'll see i wrote that Pardew to his credit is trying to gets us to play better (in a reply to Mole i think). And i've said it several times lately. Our movement is still lacking and the defending is just woeful which is holding back the improvement being shown.

You didn't have to quote me to prove to Bimpy that he'd found his fool.

Looks like you've found your fool, bimpy.. :lol: i have no idea what this is about  :dontknow:

PS : Only a fool would deny we have been better, and are trying to play better stuff tbf.

Me just a page before, we are playing less hoofball and if you go another few posts back you'll see i wrote that Pardew to his credit is trying to gets us to play better (in a reply to Mole i think). And i've said it several times lately. Our movement is still lacking and the defending is just woeful which is holding back the improvement being shown.

I know you did. I was referencing Mick (the person I quoted), who seems to be in complete denial about any sign of improvement. Then again, you sometimes get the feeling Pardew could win the league this year playing Barcelona style football and Mick (amongst some people on here) would still want him sacked because the opposition scored a goal, or put us under some pressure after half time, or there was the occasional hoof from the back.

I'm seriously baffled that people could be so set in their opinions to the point where they become incapable of any objectivity. I'm a staunch Ashley hater/cynic, but if he outlined a credible ambition for the club I could get behind, and then followed it up with some good appointments and sustained investment I could be quite easily swayed. I'm not exactly a Pardew fan either, but if he gets creditable results over a period of time and plays some decent football along the way, I don't have a problem in giving him credit.

There have been a few patches of sustained dominance (15-20 minutes) in the first 7 matches this season that we've barely seen under Pardew so far during his time at the club, and that some would say represents the potential of the players at his disposal (on a good day I would add personally). The least those who were craving for it could do is perhaps acknowledge what they see with their own eyes, rather than deny it's happened at all.. :dontknow:

Guest bimpy474

I think we've played the least long balls in the league this year...

Hoofball etc etc..

We haven't played hoofball at all, which is good as that's my main hate of any manager or team. If we can get our movement right we could be very dangerous. But our defensive concentration is abysmal and it's always a matter of time in virtually every game for a slip to come.

I really think we could do with a proper defensive minded coach added to the coaching set up.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I don't mind the occasional long ball if it's not aimless - i.e if Shola knocks it down to Ba who smashes it in the corner of the Man United net - aye canny - but when we were just hoofing it aimlessly that's awful - I think Swansea/West Ham at home last year were the worst for that. Ugh. Awful.

Better this year definitely - I think the difference between a 'hoof' and a clearance needs to be established sometimes mind :lol:

He constantly and deliberately tells us we can't compete and has now said we shouldn't even aspire to. He wants us all to shut up and accept mediocrity so his job is safe and easy and some are buying it.

Almost tin foil hat thread worthy. O0

He only really says we can't compete on the money side. That we cannot currently under Ashley compete with the richer clubs whether that be to acquire/retain players, or afford a team that can break into the top 4. It is up to you whether you agree with that.

We generally spend well but do not show enough ambition to get us a squad more than an injury or two away from being bang average, so I'm inclined to agree with him in that sense.

He has not said we shouldn't demand more for the club, or that we can't win a cup, or that staying up is some sort of praiseworthy achievement for the current team.

We've seen glimpses of good play, but the team should be doing better that it is, that is down to Pardew.

Every time the team goes out looking like it has spent the week in training staring at their shoes. That is down to Pardew.

Getting the feeling the best we can hope for is mediocrity? That is down to Ashley... and the possible lack of any decent rich benefactor waiting in the wings wanting to buy us.

Guest bimpy474

I know you did. I was referencing Mick (the person I quoted), who seems to be in complete denial about any sign of improvement. Then again, you sometimes get the feeling Pardew could win the league this year playing Barcelona style football and Mick (amongst some people on here) would still want him sacked because the opposition scored a goal, or put us under some pressure after half time, or there was the occasional hoof from the back.

I'm seriously baffled that people could be so set in their opinions to the point where they become incapable of any objectivity. I'm a staunch Ashley hater/cynic, but if he outlined a credible ambition for the club I could get behind, and then followed it up with some good appointments and sustained investment I could be quite easily swayed. I'm not exactly a Pardew fan either, but if he gets creditable results over a period of time and plays some decent football along the way, I don't have a problem in giving him credit.

There have been a few patches of sustained dominance (15-20 minutes) in the first 7 matches this season that we've barely seen under Pardew so far during his time at the club, and that some would say represents the potential of the players at his disposal (on a good day I would add personally). The least those who were craving for it could do is perhaps acknowledge what they see with their own eyes, rather than deny it's happened at all.. :dontknow:

I think part of the improvement/non improvement thing is. We seem to go from one extreme to another, we either excellent for a spell or just plain awful. You said earlier about team not dominating all the time which is true but we don't seem to be able to get playing between excellent and awful. Sometimes containing a team, taking the steam out of a game. We swing so wildly it's mental. Maybe that's part of the problem in seeing the improvements.

Guest bimpy474

I don't mind the occasional long ball if it's not aimless - i.e if Shola knocks it down to Ba who smashes it in the corner of the Man United net - aye canny - but when we were just hoofing it aimlessly that's awful - I think Swansea/West Ham at home last year were the worst for that. Ugh. Awful.

Better this year definitely - I think the difference between a 'hoof' and a clearance needs to be established sometimes mind :lol:

Definitely, Hoddle was one of the best at long passes and used them to great effect. A long pass is great play when used right, a hopeful percentage long pass isn't and Fat Sam's brand. And a hoof is just plain lazy imo.

Mixing it up is good, but we need an identity and proper pattern to give us a platform to do that. It's wrong to say Pardew isn't trying to do that as i think he is tbf. I do think he'll fail as he's too limited to get the formula right but he is at least trying.

Guest bimpy474

Almost tin foil hat thread worthy. O0

He only really says we can't compete on the money side. That we cannot currently under Ashley compete with the richer clubs whether that be to acquire/retain for players, or afford a team that can break into the top 4. It is up to you whether you agree with that.

We generally spend well but do not show enough ambition to get us a squad more than an injury or two away from being bang average, so I'm inclined to agree with him in that sense.

He has not said we shouldn't demand more for the club, or that we can't win a cup, or that staying up is an is some sort of praiseworthy achievement for the current team.

We've seen glimpses of good play, but the team should be doing better that it is, that is down to Pardew.

Every time the team goes out looking like it has spent the week in training staring at their shoes. That is down to Pardew.

Getting the feeling the best we can hope for is mediocrity? That is down to Ashley... and the possible lack of any decent rich benefactor waiting in the wings wanting to buy us.

I think we have a problem with buying now, not just with Ashley being tight. I think selling teams are ready for us and we're finding it harder to get players in because of it. I think we've squeezed all the blood that's coming out that stone.

You're absolutely nuts man, I mentioned an improvement in the 2 line post you quoted but don't let that get in the way of whatever crap you want to post.

:idiot2: