Alan Pardew

Mike

We've tried to play a bit more football this season that much is clear and Pards kind of hinted that was due to having more/everyone available again...But we still sit back and we still are over reliant on individual moments rather than what might pass for a concerted game plan and more drilled attacking movement...It's been a better in some games but I always have this fear that at any time we might be back to square one - and that is my core mistrust of the manager.

We've tried to play a bit more football this season that much is clear and Pards kind of hinted that was due to having more/everyone available again...But we still sit back and we still are over reliant on individual moments rather than what might pass for a concerted game plan and more drilled attacking movement...It's been a better in some games but I always have this fear that at any time we might be back to square one - and that is my core mistrust of the manager.

Very much agree with this.

By this time last season we'd played four of those awful European games that got in the way so much and our league record was:

Played 7,  Won 2,  Drawn 3,  Lost 2,  For 8,  Against 11,  GD -3, Points 9, Pos 10th. 

This season we have no distraction and usually have a week to prepare for games, our record is:

Played 7,  Won 3,  Drawn 1,  Lost 3,  For 9,  Against 12,  GD -3 Points 10, Pos 11th. 

The only outcome we've had that we'd not have expected or would have been predicted though is Hull at home. We were always massive second favourites at Man City and Everton will be favourites at home against everyone bar what most people would think will finish in the top 6.

We are an improving side and i'm looking forward to saying how Pardew continues to develop it. Changes in style of play and formation have worked well imo so far this season. Although on the back of that good win at Cardiff, i do fear we might not see Ben Arfa/Anita starting for a while even if the Liverpool game doesn't go our way, with tough fixtures coming up, i can see Pardew being choosing a slightly conservative team selection through these fixtures which may see hba/anita used sparingly. I could never justify Ben Arfa being taken off or dropped for any league match but the Cardiff result did give me confidence we are still a good side without him and not a one man team like I was beginning to fear first few games of the season.

That has to be a wind up. We had a good 45 minutes, then nearly threw it away.

Pardew should be judged on what happens in the derby IMO, if we lose he should be hounded out. Up against the weakest Sunderland team since they went down.

Guest icemanblue

Pardew should be judged on what happens in the derby IMO, if we lose he should be hounded out. Up against the weakest Sunderland team since they went down.

60 minutes. But, yes, he should definitely be judged on that one game. Forget what has happened (bad and good, please don't hit me), and what is yet to happen. The derby is the game for him to be judged on.

The first 45 was the best 45 without a doubt this year and arguably even all of the 5th season and that was without Ben Arfa in the side. If we had Ben Arfa in the second half, that still wouldn't have changed how things turned out. The players retreated after Willo's mistake but at least they showed grit and resilience to battle for the 3 points and not roll over and give them it. Problem is, once they scored we didn't utilise the counter as well as we could have done and struggled badly to get a good grip back on the game. We need to keep improving and put more consistency into our play and not just 20 minute spells or one good half, one bad.

If we lose the derby, he will be hounded and rightly so, whether or not it will be enough to have him sacked or not is another matter. Mackems will be a different proposition now Di Canio has gone, i actually don't think they've played as badly as people make out in recent games since he's left, they've not picked up the points but i think performance wise they've done alright against Liverpool/ManUtd.

He keeps putting wedding dresses on scarecrows and trying to marry them off man.

I know you did. I was referencing Mick (the person I quoted), who seems to be in complete denial about any sign of improvement. Then again, you sometimes get the feeling Pardew could win the league this year playing Barcelona style football and Mick (amongst some people on here) would still want him sacked because the opposition scored a goal, or put us under some pressure after half time, or there was the occasional hoof from the back.

I'm seriously baffled that people could be so set in their opinions to the point where they become incapable of any objectivity. I'm a staunch Ashley hater/cynic, but if he outlined a credible ambition for the club I could get behind, and then followed it up with some good appointments and sustained investment I could be quite easily swayed. I'm not exactly a Pardew fan either, but if he gets creditable results over a period of time and plays some decent football along the way, I don't have a problem in giving him credit.

There have been a few patches of sustained dominance (15-20 minutes) in the first 7 matches this season that we've barely seen under Pardew so far during his time at the club, and that some would say represents the potential of the players at his disposal (on a good day I would add personally). The least those who were craving for it could do is perhaps acknowledge what they see with their own eyes, rather than deny it's happened at all.. :dontknow:

You're absolutely nuts man, I mentioned an improvement in the 2 line post you quoted but don't let that get in the way of whatever crap you want to post.

:idiot2:

Don't see why you even bother responding to him. The fact that he believes people on here actually rather get rid of Pardew than see us winning with him is enough. I do give him praise for being happy for us having some improved performances for 15-20 % of games, and let me add SLIGHT improvements. We've been fucking horseshit for most part, but let's just forget that and look upon the good 15 minutes where we tried to do something for once.

Hoofball was never the problem under Pardew imo. The problem was, and still is, that we play percentage football, which is different and not mutually exclusive to playing long ball - i.e. the players are clearly instructed to get the ball into the box/strikers as often as possible even if the pass isn't on (which is most of the time), with the theory being that just getting the ball into the box results in chances being created if the striker wins it and/or the knockdown and poor clearances favours us. "Get the ball into the box enough times and combined with individual ability the goals are bound to come, keep it tight and stay in position (i.e. no real movement) and opposition teams who are passing and moving will struggle to score" - that's Pardew's theory. There's no thought to passing and moving as a team, interplaying, getting reasonable numbers forward, and creating chances by working the all around and through the opposition - so whilst we are playing on the deck more compared to last season, the net result of the Pardew approach to football means that we just pass it around in straight lines without any intention to create anything until it's time for someone to lump it optimistically into the box/strikers. Hence, we constantly lose possession cheaply, whilst practically every game the opposition cut through us and create the better chances.

It's a philosophy you'd expect in the lower leagues, one where teams with players who "jump higher, win more headers, run faster, get the tackle in" make the difference, and I for one can't believe Pardew is getting away with it in the Premiership in 2013 with this squad of players. It's almost like he's trying to outsmart the opposition by using an approach that they aren't really expecting. And on that note, whilst there's zero evidence for this, I suspect that Pardew may be a "Prozone manager" ala Sam Allardyce, or something of that ilk in that he believes "percentage football" is more effective/efficient than a more creative passing game because a statistic somewhere will show that getting the ball into the box more often results in more goals. It would logically explain why Pardew's team plays this way, what he analyses during the 4 days of the training week where he works on defense/countering the opposition.

The minimum we should get from Mackem game is a draw tbh, losing would be awful again and we should really be beating them.

Have no hope whatsoever that we will get a point or more against Liverpool and expecting to be humped all over the shop. Our biggest hope is Remy continuing to score and Cabaye stepping up his form.

I do agree that we seem to be playing less hoof ball overall so far and do appear to be attempting to keep ball on deck and play around especially in our half, however pardew still seem shit scared of what the other team are going to do and that's holding us back from assaulting a team

Hoofball was never the problem under Pardew imo. The problem was, and still is, that we play percentage football, which is different and not mutually exclusive to playing long ball - i.e. the players are clearly instructed to get the ball into the box/strikers as often as possible even if the pass isn't on (which is most of the time), with the theory being that just getting the ball into the box results in chances being created if the striker wins it and/or the knockdown and poor clearances favours us. "Get the ball into the box enough times and combined with individual ability the goals are bound to come, keep it tight and stay in position (i.e. no real movement) and opposition teams who are passing and moving will struggle to score" - that's Pardew's theory. There's no thought to passing and moving as a team, interplaying, getting reasonable numbers forward, and creating chances by working the all around and through the opposition - so whilst we are playing on the deck more compared to last season, the net result of the Pardew approach to football means that we just pass it around in straight lines without any intention to create anything until it's time for someone to lump it optimistically into the box/strikers. Hence, we constantly lose possession cheaply, whilst practically every game the opposition cut through us and create the better chances.

It's a philosophy you'd expect in the lower leagues, one where teams with players who "jump higher, win more headers, run faster, get the tackle in" make the difference, and I for one can't believe Pardew is getting away with it in the Premiership in 2013 with this squad of players. It's almost like he's trying to outsmart the opposition by using an approach that they aren't really expecting. And on that note, whilst there's zero evidence for this, I suspect that Pardew may be a "Prozone manager" ala Sam Allardyce, or something of that ilk in that he believes "percentage football" is more effective/efficient than a more creative passing game because a statistic somewhere will show that getting the ball into the box more often results in more goals. It would logically explain why Pardew's team plays this way, what he analyses during the 4 days of the training week where he works on defense/countering the opposition.

Not far off, although I think you'd be surprised about the number of managers who think basically the same thing, even in the Premier League. Possibly one has just got the Man Utd job.

Not far off, although I think you'd be surprised about the number of managers who think basically the same thing, even in the Premier League. Possibly one has just got the Man Utd job.

That's true, but that doesn't mean in still doesn't belong in the lower leagues rather than the Premier League. There's a reason to why quality is falling while money is increasing in this league, and it's all down to philosophy. This league has everything to have the best teams in the world competing for the CL year in year out, but that hasn't been the case with some few exceptions. With the money involved in these clubs all four PL teams should reach a minimum of quarterfinals each year.

Yes but we do it really badly. If it was done in an organised and effective way, you could at least give Pardew some grudging respect for it.

This, in a nutshell. We look like a team trying to change the way we play but any observer watching it would think the players have probably been told "pass it about a bit". You can't really see much evidence of players working in tandem either going forwards or defending.

Yeah, we don't really look like we work much on drills to actually develop a passing and movement game.

It's almost as though the players have been told they have permission to pass the ball on the ground, and that is therefore meant to revolutionize our play.

The only outcome we've had that we'd not have expected or would have been predicted though is Hull at home. We were always massive second favourites at Man City and Everton will be favourites at home against everyone bar what most people would think will finish in the top 6.

West Ham at home was as dull as dish water and that shouldn't be expected or accepted.  Man City away, we didn't even bother to turn up which was the problem, not that we didn't come away with anything, it was the manner of the defeat.

60 minutes. But, yes, he should definitely be judged on that one game. Forget what has happened (bad and good, please don't hit me), and what is yet to happen. The derby is the game for him to be judged on.

You still ignoring his entire career before NUFC?

Guest icemanblue

:lol: Really, though? Again?

Alright, yes, I will still judge Alan Pardew as Newcastle United manager based on his time as the manager of Newcastle United.

Alright, yes, I will still judge Alan Pardew as Newcastle United manager based on his time as the manager of Newcastle United.

You wouldn't be happy if we got Mourinho or Guardiola then? They'd have to prove themselves here before you accept them? :lol:

http://blogs.vso.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

Guest icemanblue

You wouldn't be happy if we got Mourinho or Guardiola then? They'd have to prove themselves here before you accept them? :lol:

http://blogs.vso.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

What?