Alan Pardew

Mike

Guest icemanblue

No need to set ourselves up like that second half, I'll probably be accused of being churlish to say that though.  We have a world class goalkeeping performance to thank for that result and it needn't have been that way.  First half was great and the 2nd half was unnecessary.  Would be good if we snapped out of this mentality that the best we can do is hang on for dear life.  Saying that, a marvellous result of course - one that we'd have desserved if we'd played like we did in the first half for 90 minutes but was actually pretty fortunate and Spurs can count themselves unlucky.

Yeah, it wasn't like last week where we got a great 90 mins, but we'll take a win every time  :thup:

Eh, we weren't great for 90 minutes last week. :lol: We approached it similar to today but the other way around.

I thought Chelsea had a lot of players who could hurt us but we restricted them to just a few efforts. Considering I thought they'd win comfortably it was a great 90 mins for me.

First 15 mins was all Chelsea, we hardly had a touch for the 1st 10.

Ended up with one chance from that spell. From a corner.

Daft to go through this again, but Chelsea was a very, very good team performance. Today wasn't close to that, but we absolutely did enough to win the game.

Really?  I'm not sure how much more of a nothing performance attacking-wise you'd have needed to have seen second half to reverse your opinion.  Today we won against the run of play when you look at the 90 minutes.

The second half doesn't change a first half in which we had the better of the chances. So, I thought, from the level of commitment and resilience we showed in the second half, we'd done enough to win. We didn't fall apart, and still retained some threat on the break.

I think it was about 60/40 in our favour first half and about 90/10 them second.  If that'd happened the other way around in one of our other games we'd have been feeling more than aggrieved, and I doubt we'd have thought the other side "absolutely did enough to win the game".

We survived an onslaught second half, which could be character-building in itself and is certainly a positive now we've came through it, but let's not carry on like Spurs didn't deserve to win the game at a canter.

I don't agree with that, at all. We were never ragged, or hanging on, in that second half. Spurs couldn't cut us apart at will, or find a good enough finish to score from the chances they did create.

Anyway, not a result after which I fancy having an argument. I think your opinion is a little overly negative, and dismissive of the level of physical performance that result took. I'm just going to enjoy it. :thup:

No need to set ourselves up like that second half, I'll probably be accused of being churlish to say that though.  We have a world class goalkeeping performance to thank for that result and it needn't have been that way.  First half was great and the 2nd half was unnecessary.  Would be good if we snapped out of this mentality that the best we can do is hang on for dear life.  Saying that, a marvellous result of course - one that we'd have desserved if we'd played like we did in the first half for 90 minutes but was actually pretty fortunate and Spurs can count themselves unlucky.

:thup:

Yeah, it wasn't like last week where we got a great 90 mins, but we'll take a win every time  :thup:

Eh, we weren't great for 90 minutes last week. :lol: We approached it similar to today but the other way around.

I thought Chelsea had a lot of players who could hurt us but we restricted them to just a few efforts. Considering I thought they'd win comfortably it was a great 90 mins for me.

Daft to go through this again, but Chelsea was a very, very good team performance. Today wasn't close to that, but we absolutely did enough to win the game.

Really?  I'm not sure how much more of a nothing performance attacking-wise you'd have needed to have seen second half to reverse your opinion.  Today we won against the run of play when you look at the 90 minutes.

The second half doesn't change a first half in which we had the better of the chances. So, I thought, from the level of commitment and resilience we showed in the second half, we'd done enough to win. We didn't fall apart, and still retained some threat on the break.

I think it was about 60/40 in our favour first half and about 90/10 them second.  If that'd happened the other way around in one of our other games we'd have been feeling more than aggrieved, and I doubt we'd have thought the other side "absolutely did enough to win the game".

We survived an onslaught second half, which could be character-building in itself and is certainly a positive now we've came through it, but let's not carry on like Spurs didn't deserve to win the game at a canter.

I don't agree with that, at all. We were never ragged, or hanging on, in that second half. Spurs couldn't cut us apart at will, or find a good enough finish to score from the chances they did create.

Anyway, not a result after which I fancy having an argument. I think your opinion is a little overly negative, and dismissive of the level of physical performance that result took. I'm just going to enjoy it. :thup:

Wow.  Dunno what to say then.  They were absolutely all over us second half and should have had 3 or 4 goals.

There's not really much need for what you say afterwards, I'm talking about what I thought of the game.  Don't see how it's particularly negative.  You just get laughed at by idiots on here saying "LOL he's not even happy when we beat Chelsea and Spurs".  I am happy.  I'd like to see us build something sustainable though, the persistent hanging on in games is completely unnecessary. 

It comes across a bit smug and annoying when you suggest that fellow Newcastle fans don't enjoy good results as much as you, but you know that.

Not really, we limited Chelsea to just a few chances, we didn't limit Spurs at all, the most saves in a Premier League game this season today.

We invited pressure first half last week, same as we did second half this week.  If you don't realise that we got away with it because Chelsea weren't on their game then I'm not sure what to tell you.  I'm glad it's worked 2 weeks running but there's more than one way to skin a cat and ours always involves having a prolonged, deliberate spell where we're no threat whatsoever.

If we'd attacked Chelsea from the start last week we'd have got ripped to shreds on the counter. I don't really care if Chelsea weren't on their game, I'm glad we played it the way we did. Today we were lucky not to get beat though, if you don't see a difference between the two performances we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Not really, we limited Chelsea to just a few chances, we didn't limit Spurs at all, the most saves in a Premier League game this season today.

We invited pressure first half last week, same as we did second half this week.  If you don't realise that we got away with it because Chelsea weren't on their game then I'm not sure what to tell you.  I'm glad it's worked 2 weeks running but there's more than one way to skin a cat and ours always involves having a prolonged, deliberate spell where we're no threat whatsoever.

If we'd attacked Chelsea from the start last week we'd have got ripped to shreds on the counter. I don't really care if Chelsea weren't on their game, I'm glad we played it the way we did. Today we were lucky not to get beat though, if you don't see a difference between the two performances we'll just have to agree to disagree.

It's not black and white, or at least it doesn't need to be.  We either go gung-ho or we have no attacking threat whatsoever.  That's why you think we'd have got hammered if we tried to attack Chelsea over 90 minutes, it's been that long since you've seen an NUFC side that plays sensible, attacking football over the course of the game.  It really needn't be one or the other.

To say they 'deserved to win at a canter' is ridiculously negative imo. The sheer fact that they lost is argument enough.

I wouldn't have argued with a point, because both teams had decent chances. Plus - we matched their industry and creativity going forward with grit and organisation at the back. A point would have been fair and a loss would have been harsh. It's taken one outstanding goalkeeping performance that has actually nicked a win against the odds.

For all Krul's excellent saves, I still think Spurs only carved through to create one clear-cut chance. I forget whose shot it was, but it was the one where Krul saved it with his feet. It was an appalling effort that should have been buried from 8 yards, bang middle of the goal. Had that gone in, there would have been parity.

But I'm never complaining about that result/performance. If you're a pessimist: we've clung on and snatched three points we should never have won. If you're an optimist: that's a result you see good teams grind out every year.

Guest icemanblue

Wow.  Dunno what to say then.  They were absolutely all over us second half and should have had 3 or 4 goals.

There's not really much need for what you say afterwards, I'm talking about what I thought of the game.  Don't see how it's particularly negative.  You just get laughed at by idiots on here saying "LOL he's not even happy when we beat Chelsea and Spurs".  I am happy.  I'd like to see us build something sustainable though, the persistent hanging on in games is completely unnecessary. 

It comes across a bit smug and annoying when you suggest that fellow Newcastle fans don't enjoy good results as much as you, but you know that.

Never intended any of that, like. It is, for me, a negative view of the game. Just said I wasn't looking for an argument, and not that you didn't enjoy it.

Guest icemanblue

To say they 'deserved to win at a canter' is ridiculously negative imo. The sheer fact that they lost is argument enough.

I wouldn't have argued with a point, because both teams had decent chances. Plus - we matched their industry and creativity going forward with grit and organisation at the back. A point would have been fair and a loss would have been harsh. It's taken one outstanding goalkeeping performance that has actually nicked a win against the odds.

For all Krul's excellent saves, I still think Spurs only carved through to create one clear-cut chance. I forget whose shot it was, but it was the one where Krul saved it with his feet. It was an appalling effort that should have been buried from 8 yards, bang middle of the goal. Had that gone in, there would have been parity.

But I'm never complaining about that result/performance. If you're a pessimist: we've clung on and snatched three points we should never have won. If you're an optimist: that's a result you see good teams grind out every year.

Yeah. This.

I definitely think they deserved to win by 2 or 3 goals, so I must be a pessimist then.  I remember watching a game where we lost 4-1 to Fulham.  We deserved to win that game at a canter, yet lost by 3 goals.  I'm going on the balance of play, chances created, attacking intent.  Spurs missed chance after chance second half.

I don't agree with your last sentence either.  Yes, good teams grind out results on occasion in the sense that they'll ride out a rough spell, but the vast majority of their wins don't consist of hanging on for dear life without any intention of building a meaningful attack or retaining possession.  So I don't see how what you say is relevant.

Watching Man City against Sunderland, they were piling the pressure on, but Sunderland restricted them to very few chances. In comparison, Krul was making save after save for us. We robbed them IMO.

For me we should give credit to Pardew and the team for the way they have picked themselves up since that abysmal display at the scum. Superb again today. Ah aye...and credit to Pards for keeping Ben Arfa out. We seem to have far more cohesion without him, as much as I love the blokes talent.

Guest neesy111

Ah aye...and credit to Pards for keeping Ben Arfa out. We seem to have far more cohesion without him, as much as I love the blokes talent.

Agree with this.  We a better team without him.

This might be construed as quite a simple mindset, but I honestly don't know how you can 'deserve' to win any game in which you don't score. Never mind 'at a canter'. Like I said, Paulinho's (was it?) chance - the only out-and-out clear cut chance - goes in, then it's a draw. Which would've been fair. But they didn't do enough to score one, never mind a hatful, so in no way deserved to win that match.

Krul saved our bacon on a couple of occasions, but after these sorts of games, people go on like the goalkeeper is an extension of a team; some benevolent deity that has come down to give us points that we don't deserve. As opposed to just being one crucial member of a team.

Guest neesy111

Football is all about scoring more goals than the opposition, i said Sunderland deserved to beat us because of this.  Likewise we deserved to win today as we scored more than Spurs.

This might be construed as quite a simple mindset, but I honestly don't know how you can 'deserve' to win any game in which you don't score. Never mind 'at a canter'. Like I said, Paulinho's (was it?) chance - the only out-and-out clear cut chance - goes in, then it's a draw. Which would've been fair. But they didn't do enough to score one, never mind a hatful, so in no way deserved to win that match.

Krul saved our bacon on a couple of occasions, but after these sorts of games, people go on like the goalkeeper is some benevolent deity that has come down to give us the points - as opposed to being just one crucial member of a team.

Wholeheartedly agree. He is no less part of the team than a centre forward and he was outstanding.

Krul saved our bacon on a couple of occasions, but after these sorts of games, people go on like the goalkeeper is some benevolent deity that has come down to give us the points - as opposed to being just one crucial member of a team.

Erikson, Soldado, Paulinho x 2, the free kick  were all clear goal chances. I'm not saying they deserved to win, but they were the better team and without a Krul on unbelievable form they probably would've.

We played decent stuff early on, took our goal well, Krul was outstanding and our defending was pretty good on the whole.

All that being said, if we continue to play like that away from home then we will lose more games than we win. It's pretty nailed on.

Just want us to snap out of this pessimistic attitude, because we actually have the makings of a very good side.

It wasn't even like we restricted spurs to pop shots from 30 yards or anything here, they genuinely should have scored a few goals and it's testament to our goalkeeper that they didn't along with some awful finishing from them. A month ago and sloppiness alone would have probably lead to us conceding, it's a definite improvement on that front.

I just hope we can keep up this level of commitment from the players and grab the upcoming games by the horns, none of this sitting on a goal shite at home and against the league's cannon fodder.