Alan Pardew

Mike

saturday was just a microcosm of pardew

1st half he gets it largely right, there was a balance between attack and defence and we caused them lots of problems

2nd half he gets the balance completely fucking wrong and we were dominated more or less the entire half - had spurs scored at least one, which they easily could have, he'd have been crucified again for doing the same shit he always does when we're winning

the thing was our general defending wasn't such hot shit, they created a lot, but krul had an incredible day between the posts

so in summary, he's still pretty shit

I see the point you're making, but at the same time I think it's possible to be dominated in spells by a superior team without it automtically being the manager's fault. And I reckon you're selling our defenders short as well, I thought they were excellent as a unit even when under almost constant pressure.

the defence were excellent but let's be honest spurs created enough clear cut chances to win the game second half...i'm not trying to criticise them because they were superb against strong opposition

the most amazing thing for me sunday was that pardew made a sub on 55 minutes after spurs were tearing us apart from the restart...he's rarely that fast, i felt sure they'd score before he made the change but for once it went our way and they didn't

as stated with the tiredness thing i said just before the second half wasn't entirely his "fault" but everyone must have known we'd tire and they'd push second half, a good manager would have planned for that and we'd have done them on the break a little more often - i think this would have had to come through sissoko as he was about the only one who had any legs left

Was just typing out this very response. The better team were desperate for a goal at home and it understandably became backs to the wall stuff. Were Pardew a popular manager, there wouldn't be such a focus on a defensive 2nd half in a victory at WHL.

bollocks - he's used the tactic countless times and we've lost points as a result...this time we didn't, that's it in a nutshell really

if he's not popular it's because he's lost so many fucking points doing it

EDIT: and i'll not ignore the fact that spurs are the better team, most people would expect us to be dominated to some degree away from home however if you're playing the rope-a-dope game then there has to be a punch in there for yourself as well, you can't just take the hits for the entire match as more often than not you'll get knocked the fuck out

Was just typing out this very response. The better team were desperate for a goal at home and it understandably became backs to the wall stuff. Were Pardew a popular manager, there wouldn't be such a focus on a defensive 2nd half in a victory at WHL.

bollocks - he's used the tactic countless times and we've lost points as a result...this time we didn't, that's it in a nutshell really

EDIT: and i'll not ignore the fact that spurs are the better team, most people would expect us to be dominated to some degree away from home however if you're playing the rope-a-dope game then there has to be a punch in there for yourself as well, you can't just take the hits for the entire match as more often than not you'll get knocked the fuck out

Whey I'd argue that our tactics were imposed upon us thanks largely to Tottenham's quality. Fully appreciate he has previous for sitting on marginal leads like, but it's a bit petty to criticise him for it after a fantastic victory.

We're never going to agree, just find the mentality a bit depressing. Even more depressing than Pardew's management.

Whey I'd argue that our tactics were imposed upon us thanks largely to Tottenham's quality. Fully appreciate he has previous for sitting on marginal leads like, but it's a bit petty to criticise him for it after a fantastic victory.

We're never going to agree, just find the mentality a bit depressing. Even more depressing than Pardew's management.

Absolutely. In the glow of a great/surprise victory it's probably too easy to overlook just how good a team Spurs are.

You'd pretty much expect to spend a large part of the game on the back foot when playing away to such a talented side.

what mentality?

Guest bimpy474

saturday was just a microcosm of pardew

1st half he gets it largely right, there was a balance between attack and defence and we caused them lots of problems

2nd half he gets the balance completely fucking wrong and we were dominated more or less the entire half - had spurs scored at least one, which they easily could have, he'd have been crucified again for doing the same shit he always does when we're winning

the thing was our general defending wasn't such hot shit, they created a lot, but krul had an incredible day between the posts

so in summary, he's still pretty shit

Yep, we got too deep, down to Spurs pushing us back and ourselves getting too deep. As good as Remy is holding the ball up isn't his game.

And it's not a strong point of Cisse's either. We were dying for a player to hold it.

It's essential we sign that type of player as it would suit us perfectly.

players were knackered and all like, it was a combination of everything, you could almost see cabaye, gouffran, remy & shola visibly wilt and stop :lol:

Aye it was, shows just how much we need that hold up play to give the midfield a rest and the defence a chance to get up a bit.

Never thought the players lost faith in him TBH, his relationship with them seems to be one of his biggest (only!) strengths.

Aye, that's what used to wind me up so much about the 'he's lost the dressing room/they aren't playing for him' comments.

That was never my problem with Pardew tbh, he's always looked fairly good on the man management side. It's the tactical side where I haven't rated him and there are still big question marks there.

Aye it was, shows just how much we need that hold up play to give the midfield a rest and the defence a chance to get up a bit.

i thought they might have to bring the cart on to get shola off the pitch :lol:

you're right, a mobile big would have helped us second half for sure....again arguably points to pardew not getting it 100% right (but not getting it wrong) - first half we were mobile as a team and using the channels well with the ball on the ground, shola didn't really do anything cisse couldn't have done first half, we might have been better served bringing shola on at 60 minutes or so to battle and hold up

'We've got the greatest fans in the world in my opinion'

Nice bit of praise for us from him :aww:

I think he generally does feel for us, he knows that we've stuck by him inside the ground and haven't given him a tougher time as he may have should have been given last season. I think he certainly recognises that and is thankful for it.

Guest bimpy474

i thought they might have to bring the cart on to get shola off the pitch :lol:

you're right, a mobile big would have helped us second half for sure....again arguably points to pardew not getting it 100% right (but not getting it wrong) - first half we were mobile as a team and using the channels well with the ball on the ground, shola didn't really do anything cisse couldn't have done first half, we might have been better served bringing shola on at 60 minutes or so to battle and hold up

We pressed really well 1st half too. And we could never keep that up all game, we just needed an outlet which we lacked. Great result mind.

'We've got the greatest fans in the world in my opinion'

Nice bit of praise for us from him :aww:

I think he generally does feel for us, he knows that we've stuck by him inside the ground and haven't given him a tougher time as he may have should have been given last season. I think he certainly recognises that and is thankful for it.

Pardew's from a working class background and he came into pro football the hard way. He will relate to the majority of our support.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Players coming out the woodwork praising pardew after 2 decent wins. It always happens.

It's the same as Pardew coming out praising Shola. It means nowt. Waffle.

;D

''So what do you think of the manager''

''He's useless marra''

Players coming out the woodwork praising pardew after 2 decent wins. It always happens.

It's the same as Pardew coming out praising Shola. It means nowt. Waffle.

;D

''So what do you think of the manager''

''He's useless marra''

The comments are fine, they shouldn't be saying anything different but the fact you're all eating it up is weird.

The next two home games will show if we've learned how to play offensive football, trying to break lesser teams down. Which i doubt we have.

A narrow win and a draw is what i expect.

i can't bear the thought of us huffing and puffing and toiling to get past parked defences man, fills me with absolute :anguish:

would rather watch our away games, at least pardew has sort of a clue how to approach them