South American football

Flip

That tackle after about 10 minutes was atrocious like. Dunno how the SL bloke avoided a serious injury. Only a yellow card anarl.

The old get away with it at home so ref can save himself getting abused/attacked later on in the evening.

Dunno whether you saw but Nelson Vivas got sacked the other week for assaulting a fan post match in the tunnel :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

http://robbro7.com/2013/11/20/looking-for-riquelme-part-i-discovering-a-genius/

Doesn't really quote very well, but an interesting blog about Riquelme. Nice read.

Rory Smith ‏@RorySmithTimes 5m

Good this  - http://bit.ly/1ffzr3a  - by @robbro7 on discovering Riquelme. My first Roman moment was in a La Paz pool hall in 2000.

Rory Smith ‏@RorySmithTimes 3m

Boca were on TV in the corner. They had a player who never ran anywhere+constantly tried absurd through balls. I've had a crush ever since.

:aww:

Difference between biggest and lowest attendances in Brazilian league football this season :lol: Portuguesa has an of 1.1k, but even then 1,8k against Fluminense is unbelievably bad. Biggest problem of them all are prices, people can't afford the huge prices, but 1.1k jesus christ. (mind they are the smallest team of the big teams in Sao Paulo)

http://i39.tinypic.com/2eans44.png

Nilton Santos, Brazilian wing/fullback of the 58' winning team passed away today 88 years old.

Legend. I shall my wear Botafogo #6 shirt tomorrow in respect.

Brazilian fans I'm led to believe are fickle as fuck at the best of the times, pricing out the majority is only exacerbating the problem. Still gentrification will always win in modern football.

Weirdly the Portuguesa stadium is the only ground I saw in SP, right near the bus station.

Nilton Santos, Brazilian wing/fullback of the 58' winning team passed away today 88 years old.

Legend. I shall my wear Botafogo #6 shirt tomorrow in respect.

Brazilian fans I'm led to believe are fickle as f*** at the best of the times, pricing out the majority is only exacerbating the problem. Still gentrification will always win in modern football.

Weirdly the Portuguesa stadium is the only ground I saw in SP, right near the bus station.

We are extremely fickle but I think that goes for anyone in any sport. The biggest problem is, the poor don't have enough money to go to every game and the rich already have all the games on the TV so they're too lazy and don't want to risk it by going all the way to a stadium to watch the games unless they have VIP section tickets. There's a lot of factors but money is definitely the main culprit. Flamengo were told to reduce tickets prices to R$250 as the cheapest for their final game against Atletico PR last night in the Copa do Brasil. That's rougly £70 for the cheapest ticket, not everyone can pay that price. The most sold tickets went for R$75 but that was only available to members who pay half the price or something.

Flamengo won btw, and will be playing the Copa Libertadores.

Just seen this, one of the legends of the game.... i have only a few highlights and old tapes to back me up but i'm sure people who watched him share that view.

Wasn't that long ago that Djalma Santos died too.... can't be many more of that 58 side left now surely?

In anycase R.I.P :(

Just seen this, one of the legends of the game.... i have only a few highlights and old tapes to back me up but i'm sure people who watched him share that view.

Wasn't that long ago that Djalma Santos died too.... can't be many more of that 58 side left now surely?

In anycase R.I.P :(

Considering the fact that from that squad Mazzola and Pele are in their mid 70s it's not weird that many are passing away by age. Still sad, watching footages from that team is just great, not the best team Brazil has had, but was the only World Cup where Pele and Garrincha played big parts together. Still considered in Brazil the two best of all time, geniuses of the sport. I know the captain Bellini is still alive as well as Zagallo who managed us in 70' and '74 as well as '98, but the likes of Didi, Djalma Santos, Nilton Santos, Vava, Garrincha, and also Gilmar (the GK) who died couple months back as well.

In other news though, Fluminense drew at home yesterday and are on the verge of being relegated. This is a team that has been a top team in the Brazilian league for 4 years and won the league twice in the last three years. Unbelievable how they've missed Fred this season, first the months of the Confed Cup and then injuries. He's only had six games from start this season, scoring twice. They will have to beat Bahia to be safe, and even then it might not be enough.

how is Leandro Damiao doing this season? Since the Confederations Cup (which he missed through injury)....there`s hardly been a word of mention about him in the news. Every transfer window he is linked with Spurs (or Napoli) and that`s gone quiet.

Seems like Internacional missed the boat on getting the big money for him.