South American football

Flip

So, Martino seems to be one of the frontrunners for the Barça job. What kind of manager is he? Reckon he can make the switch to a big European team?

I'm not too sure about getting a SA manager without experience in Europe, like.

His Newell's team are the best team in Argentina by a mile, pretty much the only regularly exciting team too watch. Play fast passing but direct football.

Did pretty well with Paraguay too albeit not playing the same style so I guess that shows he's pretty flexible tactically.

Read today he was the Messi family's favourite player.

Unbelievably huge step up though.

2nd leg of the final starts in an hour.

Mineirao sold out to the 62 000s which is HUUUGE for South American football. The atmosphere outsie the stadium when the Atletico Mineiro bus was arriving at the stadium gave me goose bumps. f***ing hell, amazing images.

:lol: :lol:

Brazilians are cunt. Instead of entering with both teams next to each other as usual Atletico Mineiro entered like it was the Superbowl running onto the field with Ronaldinho reaching his pulse peak and probably wasting all of the little energy he has before the game starts.

Bernard is an absolute cunt. Haven't seen him enough and while he's a great footballer it's the 2nd straight game in the Libertadores that I see him being just plain stupid. Last game he got himself suspended for the first leg of the final for complaining and now he got a yellow and also spit on the opposition player. Should've been off. Disgusting.

Ronaldinho wins it all.  Up there with Cafu and Dida as the only ones to have won the World Cup, Libertadores and Champions League if my info is correct.

If you cherry-pick a little more he's the only one to have won WC, CL, Libertadores *and* the Ballon d'Or.

Legend, anyway.

No surprise to see this albeit a little disappointing, their name has been on the cup from the start - had/made a lot of luck to get through most the knockouts.

Hard to see when or where the next non-Brazilian winner of this will come from.

Ronaldinho is the boy like, great how he's returned to form.

With so much money entering the Brazilian league, it's hard to see how they aren't going to pull out from the rest of the continent, particularly with the Argie league being in such a sad state.

Still Mineiro pretty much limped to the finish, so it's not that Brazilian teams are all that all-conquering yet.

With so much money entering the Brazilian league, it's hard to see how they aren't going to pull out from the rest of the continent, particularly with the Argie league being in such a sad state.

Still Mineiro pretty much limped to the finish, so it's not that Brazilian teams are all that all-conquering yet.

I can only see it getting worse although they are a couple factors, namely away games are a lot more hostile than normal & Brazilian teams play a mad amount of fixtures, that might help keep it more competitive than it should be.

I don't know, it's true that Brazil are dominating right now but Libertadores has always been pretty wide open. You have had a Paraguayan in the final and some weird 4-year old Peruvian team even made the quarters.

:thup:

This is the charm of the Libertadores. You rarely see the same teams winning it over and over again. Only Santos came close to winning back to back in the last 10 years as they lost to Corinthians in the semi's last year.

I don't know, it's true that Brazil are dominating right now but Libertadores has always been pretty wide open. You have had a Paraguayan in the final and some weird 4-year old Peruvian team even made the quarters.

:thup:

This is the charm of the Libertadores. You rarely see the same teams winning it over and over again. Only Santos came close to winning back to back in the last 10 years as they lost to Corinthians in the semi's last year.

I can't see it changing due to the massive squad/managerial changes that take place every season although the big Brazilian clubs are now a bit more resistant to wholesale squad sales/changes each transfer window.

It's one of the main reasons I have taken a shine to South American football, it's so unpredictable.

7 different champions in the last 8 seasons in Argentina and I know in Brazil it's similar.

Real Garcilaso man, they even spent a grand total of 5 minutes designing the badge:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/44/Escudo_del_Real_Garcilaso.png/200px-Escudo_del_Real_Garcilaso.png

4 years later, Libertadores quarter-finalists. It's just unbelievable :lol:

THIS IS THE SOUTH AMERICAN FOOTBALL THREAD. You should know!?

Gilberto dos Santos Souza Junior is a Philadelphia Union player, formerly the star player at Atlético Sorocaba. He was also the star at Atlético Mineiro, until Sorocaba snapped him up for £12m in July '12. He scored 19 goals and assisted 15 times last year.

note: post is mostly incorrect

• 2 weeks later...