South American football

Flip

I thought Rogerio had packed in? Did he just veto it?

Also is that the same racist incident as the one with the keeper?

This should be his last season after beating all types of record. Would love to see him reach 10goals this season, would be absolutely mental.

As for the racist incident, yes, Santos goalkeeper in their cup game against Gremio. Not sure punishing a teams league position is fair for something that happened in a cup game, but in Brazil racism is criminal and you can get jail time for racist remarks as we take it extremely serious.

Well scratch that, thought his highest in the league was 9, but he got 10 in 2005 along with 11 other goals in cups. :lol: Goalkeeper scoring 21 goals in a season in 77 games. Better than Shola.

He has 121 goals in his career. 60 which have come from free-kicks.  :yikes:

I'm going to Coritiba v Atletico PR tomorrow. A local derby, will be interesting to see how it is. Coxa have been really poor this season and Atletico are not as good as they were last season. Generally I haven't been overly impressed by the standard of football in the Serie A. I've saw Internacional, Corinthians, Santos and a few other teams this season against the local teams here. Granted they could have had poor days, but the game have been drawn out by petty fouls, long balls and poor passing. There are still moments of brilliance, just not as much as I expected before I arrived in Brasil.

PS its a nightmare to play here. The game gets stopped for "fouls" that are called by the opposition which means the games are very stop start. They also have a tendency to purposefully handle the ball to give a free kick away if it prevents a one on one situation. Madness!

I'm going to Coritiba v Atletico PR tomorrow. A local derby, will be interesting to see how it is. Coxa have been really poor this season and Atletico are not as good as they were last season. Generally I haven't been overly impressed by the standard of football in the Serie A. I've saw Internacional, Corinthians, Santos and a few other teams this season against the local teams here. Granted they could have had poor days, but the game have been drawn out by petty fouls, long balls and poor passing. There are still moments of brilliance, just not as much as I expected before I arrived in Brasil.

PS its a nightmare to play here. The game gets stopped for "fouls" that are called by the opposition which means the games are very stop start. They also have a tendency to purposefully handle the ball to give a free kick away if it prevents a one on one situation. Madness!

I feel your pain bro. Every time I'm back in Brazil playing I get pissed, because if people were honest it would be a great thing,b ut people aren't when they're playing so it just screws the whole game. It's all about adapting though.

As for the before. Some teams in Brazil are horrible to watch, actually most teams are. It's been a lot of exactly what you said. There are some teams around that play great football though, take a look at Cruzeiro. They're rather fun to watch as they have some good players same goes for Sao Paulo. Corinthians, Atletico, Internacional are mostly boring teams to watch although Corinthians is a well organized team. Hope you enjoyed your game, atmosphere must've been awesome given Green Hell?

Also Ceni scored once again yesterday from the spot, harsh on Gremio who apparently were the better team and looking at highlights should've had 2-3 goals.

I feel your pain bro. Every time I'm back in Brazil playing I get p*ssed, because if people were honest it would be a great thing,b ut people aren't when they're playing so it just screws the whole game. It's all about adapting though.

As for the before. Some teams in Brazil are horrible to watch, actually most teams are. It's been a lot of exactly what you said. There are some teams around that play great football though, take a look at Cruzeiro. They're rather fun to watch as they have some good players same goes for Sao Paulo. Corinthians, Atletico, Internacional are mostly boring teams to watch although Corinthians is a well organized team. Hope you enjoyed your game, atmosphere must've been awesome given Green Hell?

Also Ceni scored once again yesterday from the spot, harsh on Gremio who apparently were the better team and looking at highlights should've had 2-3 goals.

We play against the Coxa coaches who are decent, but I understand now why the kids I'm teaching call for everything. We've lost once since we've been here and they don't really like that, but it boils down to being organised as a team and a quick counter attack. Still when your going to be one v one its a nightmare when someone cheats.

Atmosphere was really good, not quite as I expected, but still more intense than back home. Coritiba won with a wonder goal and the crowd went nuts. They really do hate each other though!

Sao Paulo and Cruzeiro have to be the two best teams here by a long way, watching them on TV they just dominate the games. I've got a bit of time left so I'll try and see them live.

http://i60.tinypic.com/ouzeqe.jpg

Been watching the Brazilian footy on the telly recently, god it's grim. Need to get a Sao Paolo/Cruziero game by the sounds of it. A lot of long ball and stoppages.

Only two interesting teams I've watched, granted I rarely watch Brazilian league football because individually you'll find good players but the teams lack discipline and tactics. Except a few of them.

Lets hope my trip to Vasco and Bogatfo are good then

Considering you're going to a derby and will be watching it live, although a smaller derby than the other Rio matches I expect you to enjoy it. At the end of the day most of them are still around NUFC level under Pardew.

• 2 weeks later...

Adriano negotiating with Le Havre in the french second division according to Brazilian media. Why do these clubs persist on trying to sign him, he'll sign, get a nice sign-on fee and then never show up and have his contract rescinded.

Any supporters clubs/bars for Newcastle games in Rio?

There is a bloke who writes for TF or the Mag who lives in Rio - if you have a search you'll soon find one of his articles. Could be worth contacting him.

Any supporters clubs/bars for Newcastle games in Rio?

There is a bloke who writes for TF or the Mag who lives in Rio - if you have a search you'll soon find one of his articles. Could be worth contacting him.

Was going to point Slim in the same direction as I have no idea.

Brazilian squad for the next friendlies against Turkey and Austria.

Rafael Cabral - Napoli

Neto - Fiorentina

Diego Alves - Valência

Mario Fernandes - CSKA Moscou

Alex Sandro - Porto

Filipe Luís - Chelsea

Danilo - Porto

David Luiz - PSG

Marquinhos - PSG

Thiago Silva - PSG

Miranda - Atlético de Madrid

Luiz Gustavo - Wolfsburg

Rômulo - Spartak Moscou

Fernandinho - Manchester City

Casemiro - Porto

Oscar - Chelsea

Firmino - Hoffenheim

Willian - Chelsea

Neymar - Barcelona

Philippe Coutinho - Liverpool

Lucas - PSG

Luiz Adriano - Shaktar Donetsk

Douglas Costa - Shaktar Donetsk

No player from Brazilian league called up because of them being in the final part of the season and Cruzeiro having been fucked earlier by Goulart and Ribeiro being called up. Finally Firmino is called up and Diego Alves. We are extremely weak at fullback position again. Don't know what Romulo and Casemiro are doing in the team though, but I guess we won't see them for long. Really hope Lucas, Firmino, Costa takes their chance. So much attacking potential in there, really hope some of them develop the way they are expected.

Also, Dunga imposing some new rules. Guys in here will love it, myself on the other hand have no idea what it will accomplish.

http://www.sambafoot.com/en/news/65502_dunga_imposes_new_rules_-_here_is_a_short_list_.html

The problem is no matter what he does the re-appointment of Dunga just shows how out touch the CBF are and all that they are interested in is self preservation.

Some sort of massive review should have been undertaken about what happened in the World Cup, as far as I am aware that hasn't happened yet? They should be looking at a way to return a certain style of the national team that is synomomous with what we come to expect from Brazil. Instead everything is geared towards producing a more physical player. Look at Deco man, if the right system was in place he would have been running the Brazilian midfield for a decade.

Hopefully this players union can help facilitate change as well, the schedule in Brazil is utterly ridiculous and has been for years. The regional championship needs scrapping man.

Also, Dunga imposing some new rules. Guys in here will love it, myself on the other hand have no idea what it will accomplish.

http://www.sambafoot.com/en/news/65502_dunga_imposes_new_rules_-_here_is_a_short_list_.html

The problem is no matter what he does the re-appointment of Dunga just shows how out touch the CBF are and all that they are interested in is self preservation.

Some sort of massive review should have been undertaken about what happened in the World Cup, as far as I am aware that hasn't happened yet? They should be looking at a way to return a certain style of the national team that is synomomous with what we come to expect from Brazil. Instead everything is geared towards producing a more physical player. Look at Deco man, if the right system was in place he would have been running the Brazilian midfield for a decade.

Hopefully this players union can help facilitate change as well, the schedule in Brazil is utterly ridiculous and has been for years. The regional championship needs scrapping man.

Pretty much my feelings as well. :thup:

However, I do think that Dunga isn't the worst of appointments considering we will never see a change in the corrupt corporation which the CBF is. I think he was extremely unlucky against Netherlands as his players somehow didn't show up for the 2nd half. Was a bit of anti-climax for him as the first and last half of the tournament were horrible while the rest was pretty impressive. We were the kings of South America during his tenure despite Argentina having Messi pretty much in his prime. He's making baby steps and taking time to modify the style we play. As an example since his re-appointment we haven't played with a fixed striker, we don't have one so we have gone back to the roots a bit of having 4 offensive players interchanging positions, sure it was four #10's before behind a striker but football has also changed a lot and Dunga isn't the most inventive type.

He has already made the decision of giving Neymar the captains armband, which I like, Neymar showed at the World Cup that despite not being the vocal leader on the pitch he as a young guy can carry the weight of a nation on his shoulder without making excuses. He scored those goals against Croatia in the opener, took over the game when we were in deep trouble against Cameroon, took that penalty against Chile that not many people would be able to do in that situation and he despite not playing was the first to come out and talk to the press following the humiliation. He sat there and took it all in and didn't make excuses.

I think the most important part about the work and route they're taking is the promise to not make a finished squad years before a tournament like we have done (especially Dunga) in recent times but to choose the best at the moment in every position. I guess time will tell, but players like Tardelli are hopefully being picked now beecause they're performing now and won't be given a spot in the World Cup team because they did something years ago.

We'll see I guess. We need to make baby steps a la Germany in the last decade and give youth a chance bit by bit and not expect to win every tournament just to win, but to develop Brazilian football once again.

:thup: Well summed up that, especially the bit about Neymar being captain which definitely seems like he has done the right thing.

Do you think the pressure at the Olympics is going to be massive as well btw? Seeing as it's the one thing you guys haven't yet won and I know how seriously it is taken over there.

:thup: Well summed up that, especially the bit about Neymar being captain which definitely seems like he has done the right thing.

Do you think the pressure at the Olympics is going to be massive as well btw? Seeing as it's the one thing you guys haven't yet won and I know how seriously it is taken over there.

Not massive expectations, but I feel the CBF sees it as a chance to redeem themselves a bit after the World Cup fiasco and it's the only tournament we haven't won (two second places) so they are already making strides and preparing for it seriously with U21 (which will be the U23 side in the Olympics) playing against senior and U23 national teams. It would definitely be special if we won it for the first time as it's being played in Brazil. But as usual I expect some type of humiliation towards the semi or final...

@Rupert_Fryer  2m2 minutes ago

#WHUFC's Mauro Zarate has decided to throw in his lot with Chile, and is now hoping to be called up by coach Jorge Sampaoli.

Could be a decent addition to the Chilean forward line.

• 2 weeks later...