Coventry City

ponsaelius

I know the morality of such a move is questionable and might degrade the very idea of sporting competition, but it's times like these I wish other clubs would whip-round to help someone out. And I don't mean Northampton Town. The fact that, on the same day, two clubs are negotiating fees of around £80-100m for one player, another club - only two divisions below - is going out of existence. No club should ever have to go into liquidation, especially when it's at the whims of a select few corporates who are completely detached from the sport itself. It is absolutely tragic and it effects people's lives. Like I say, it's not something I can ever see happening because it could make a mockery of the whole idea of competition, but I just wish the game would pull together a bit more to stop things like this happening. What happens to competition if you start losing opponents? As football people, everybody's on the same team.

And the Football League are cunts for letting this happen.

Feel really bad for Coventry fans, I can't imagine what it would be like watching Newcastle go under.

I know the morality of such a move is questionable and might degrade the very idea of sporting competition, but it's times like these I wish other clubs would whip-round to help someone out. And I don't mean Northampton Town. The fact that, on the same day, two clubs are negotiating fees of around £80-100m for one player, another club - only two divisions below - is going out of existence. No club should ever have to go into liquidation, especially when it's at the whims of a select few corporates who are completely detached from the sport itself. It is absolutely tragic and it effects people's lives. Like I say, it's not something I can ever see happening because it could make a mockery of the whole idea of competition, but I just wish the game would pull together a bit more to stop things like this happening. What happens to competition if you start losing opponents? As football people, everybody's on the same team.

Feel really bad for Coventry fans, I can't imagine what it would be like watching Newcastle go under.

:thup:

Incredible that a football club can disappear for financial reasons really.

I wonder if there's some way that the football club could exist as some sort of separate entity from the limited company, in a way that would protect it from ever ceasing to exist. Obviously in practice the club would be demoted or docked points and it would lose all its players etc, but the 'club' itself would be deemed immune from liquidation. 

Incidentally, that Sunderland hatred for Coventry is the most tenuous reason for a rivalry, and I can't believe the still get all worked up over it.

What a bunch of bell ends.

Their dirty underhand tricks got them relegated - it's far from tenuous.

Well, not really, given that Sunderland's form over the course of the season until then had made a pretty chunky contribution to them getting relegated.

Still, I imagine it'd be annoying. I'm not too sure I'd be there, sufficiently angry almost 40 years later to be posting animated gifs of champagne corks popping when the other club got liquidated, mind.

That's right, Coventry City Football Club will never die - they live on in all our hearts. I'll still see them in every rainbow, in the smile of every baby. In a way this is just the beginning.

Actually they will be playing in League 1 this season.

Incidentally, that Sunderland hatred for Coventry is the most tenuous reason for a rivalry, and I can't believe the still get all worked up over it.

What a bunch of bell ends.

Their dirty underhand tricks got them relegated - it's far from tenuous.

Good riddance to the b*st*rds - you think they'd lose any sleep if Sunderland went tits up for the same reasons after THEY put them down ?

Hang on - didn't Coventry pull the dirty underhand tricks on Sunderland to get them relegated TWICE not once ?

How would YOU feel if they'd done it to Villa - TWICE and put them through the same hell as the makems went through because of dirty tricks they shouldn't have been allowed to get away with, and probably WOULDN'T if had been one of the London or North West teams  ?

Saved me some typing :lol:

Guest Phil K

Sunderland could have you know won more games? Got the necessary points to stay up? What a load of sanctimonious petty bollocks.

One of the TWICE they did it, they deliberatly delayed kick off so they would know the score, thats "sanctimonious" ? Thats filthy tricks to me.

If I remember right, it was Jimmy Hill behind it too. Now "sanctimoniious" could be applied to him.

BUT - what if it had been done to our lot ?

Sure they could have "won more games" And if Coventry had played the game by the rules, maybe they would have went down.

Now they're whining because of the antics of their owners. And it was the "antics of their owners" which kept them UP and sent the makems DOWN way back then.

Sunderland could have you know won more games? Got the necessary points to stay up? What a load of sanctimonious petty bollocks.

One of the TWICE they did it, they deliberatly delayed kick off so they would know the score, thats "sanctimonious" ? Thats filthy tricks to me.

If I remember right, it was Jimmy Hill behind it too. Now "sanctimoniious" could be applied to him.

Sure they could have "won more games" And if Coventry had played the game by the rules, maybe they would have went down.

Now they're whining because of the antics of their owners. And it was the "antics of their owners" which kept them UP and sent the makems DOWN way back then.

They delayed a kick off by 20 minutes. Had Sunderland won at Everton it would've been irrelevant.

Guest Bert Shaft

They delayed a kick off by 20 minutes. Had Sunderland won at Everton it would've been irrelevant.

Yeah but when they found out that Sunderland got beat, Cov and Bristol passed the ball to each other for the final 15 - 20 minutes, both teams making no effort to win the game.

Shocking. :D  :D  :D

Yeah but when they found out that Sunderland got beat, Cov and Bristol passed the ball to each other for the final 15 - 20 minutes, both teams making no effort to win the game.

Shocking. :D  :D  :D

I know, I was there.

:clap:

Top post. Couldn't agree more.

:clap:

Top post. Couldn't agree more.

The sentiment is fine. However, the company who own Coventry, have earmarked a site to build a £32 million stadium. Is that the move of a company that has no money to pay off current debts?

sounds like dodgy ownership yeah

I don't think clubs pooling resources when necessary 'makes a mockery' of competition necessarily, the competition should be on the pitch, not winning cos the other other guy went out of business.

Guest Phil K

so do Sunderland hate Bristol City too for their part in that?

They were the away club. They weren't responsible for organizing the con, but DID go along with it.

Everton too - they agreed to playing a game after season finished, their players wanting to avoid injury for their holidays and went through motions in a 1-3 defeat at Coventry

AGAIN Coventry's dirty tricks led to changing rules. Thats all they ever did. Nothing constructive, just dirty tricks to assist themselves

They were the away club. They weren't responsible for organizing the con, but DID go along with it.

Everton too - they agreed to playing a game after season finished, their players wanting to avoid injury for their holidays and went through motions in a 1-3 defeat at Coventry

AGAIN Coventry's dirty tricks led to changing rules. Thats all they ever did. Nothing constructive, just dirty tricks to assist themselves

Bollocks utter bollocks. Everton had their season extended , as Coventry had, one,  because of postponed fixtures and two, Everton also had reached the FA Cup final and also the Cup Winners Cup final.

Guest Phil K

Bollocks utter bollocks. Everton had their season extended , as Coventry had, one,  because of postponed fixtures and two, Everton also had reached the FA Cup final and also the Cup Winners Cup final.

As a result, other clubs had to wait and see - they wouldn't allow it now BECAUSE of what happened then. Coventry AGAIN pulling strokes. Why was the game postponed in the first place ? I have no memory of ins or outs, but I recall there being fury about it because Coventry pulled one stroke after another to delay the game. Much like Middlesboro' chairman Gibson did against us years later - no snow, etc but got the game postponed because of they made no attempt to clear snow from stands or car park, they had injury problems, and the cheats prospered. The game was played when WE had injury problems, if I recall.

But Coventry's strokes gave them an unfair advantage. Didn't they play the game a couple of WEEKS after end of season ? How the hell is THAT "bollocks" ?

They delayed start of Coventry v Bristol City so they knew result of Everton v Sunderland result, and then passed the ball between themselves for last 15 mins.

Look I know that it was the makems that got it in neck, but Jesus wept man. The tricks they pulled were despicable. THEY were responsible for changing rules to STOP such things in future, and they didn't do that because it was a MINOR thing.

As a result, other clubs had to wait and see - they wouldn't allow it now BECAUSE of what happened then. Coventry AGAIN pulling strokes. Why was the game postponed in the first place ? I have no memory of ins or outs, but I recall there being fury about it because Coventry pulled one stroke after another to delay the game. Much like Middlesboro' chairman Gibson did against us years later - no snow, etc but got the game postponed because of they made no attempt to clear snow from stands or car park, they had injury problems, and the cheats prospered. The game was played when WE had injury problems, if I recall.

But Coventry's strokes gave them an unfair advantage. Didn't they play the game a couple of WEEKS after end of season ? How the hell is THAT "bollocks" ?

It was scheduled to be played Cup Final day; Everton couldn't as they were in it . They then scheduled to play it the folliwing Wednesday,  Everton were indisposed playing the Cup Winners Cup final so they played on the following Sunday. Coventry didnt pull any strokes regarding the weather. One of the games that was postponed through snow was away from home,  at Stoke . And this followed the worst season for postponements since 1963. I even went to the Everton game. And it was 4-1 not 3 as you ERRONEOUSLY stated earlier.