Rangers 1 - 1 Newcastle United - pretend you know how it went from page 18

Decky

It's not just what he did last night though.  He'll continue to use Sissoko on the wing.  You surely can't be expecting him to skin even Crystal Palace's left-back when it's quite clearly not his position, can you?

I don't expect Sissoko to play on the wing in the Prem, that's just my opinion. We are chasing a winger so it's not like he thinks Sissoko/Jonas is the answer and it's crazy for people to think he'll start them wingers against City.

In what way? People being rightly annoyed that the failures and rudimentary problems of last season not being  addressed? That we are continuing to use players in wrong positions so close to the start of a new season?

you're not allowed man, it's just negativity, nothing is relevant until it's too late for some people...happened last year:

person a) we could get relegated for the following reasons

person b) don't be stupid, that's never going to happen for no reason whatsoever

repeat right up until game 36 of the season when the penny drops

same people can't see we need to change, we need to score goals and create fucking chances against garbage like rangers....so fuck if they were up for it, like man city and west ham won't be up for it?

Everyone can see the problems, but some people can also see the positives. Somehow taking the hyper-negative view has somehow become cooler and more acceptable than any other position. I guess it's natural that a forum will be used by people to pour out their worries.

I don't think you'll find anyone on this place who hasn't admitted problems, and expressed worries about Pardew etc.

What are the positives then?

No injuries?

I'm not going to bother, it's genuinely pointless.

It's not just what he did last night though.  He'll continue to use Sissoko on the wing.  You surely can't be expecting him to skin even Crystal Palace's left-back when it's quite clearly not his position, can you?

I don't expect Sissoko to play on the wing in the Prem, that's just my opinion. We are chasing a winger so it's not like he thinks Sissoko/Jonas is the answer and it's crazy for people to think he'll start them wingers against City.

It really isn't, if we haven't brought a winger in by then.

Everyone can see the problems, but some people can also see the positives. Somehow taking the hyper-negative view has somehow become cooler and more acceptable than any other position. I guess it's natural that a forum will be used by people to pour out their worries.

I don't think you'll find anyone on this place who hasn't admitted problems, and expressed worries about Pardew etc.

ian you're a sound poster but you really can't believe this can you?

Why play them this way in the penultimate friendly match then? That's the question. Preseason should be about working on tactics and systems, not just putting players anywhere and saying 'get fit'.

ian you're a sound poster but you really can't believe this can you?

I definitely think the negative viewpoint gets a much easier ride on here, yes.

Shola Ameobi continued his scoring run as he grabbed his fourth pre-season goal to save his side's blushes with a last minute equaliser at Ibrox on Tuesday evening.

But it was the substitutes and shadow squad that provided the main positives from a forgettable performance from Alan Pardew's first choice starting line-up.

Rangers went ahead after just five minutes following a soft penalty award. The spot-kick was dispatched past Tim Krul by Lee McCulloch.

United dominated possession in the first period but were restricted to long range shots in this not-so-friendly pre-match kickabout.

The Magpies remained disjointed after the break but the numerous substitutions didn't cause us to lose our rhythm as we never had any...!

Once again, Ameobi provided the face-saver with a good finish at the very end of normal time, tucking the ball past Cammy Bell after brother Sammy had pinched the ball and played in Shola.

Until the Ameobis joined the play, United had been unable to hold the ball upfield and only managed to get the ball into the Rangers box after Dan Gosling came on for Yohan Cabaye.

20 years ago, we went to Ibrox to play Rangers in a pre-season game ; they were probably the major force in Scottish football at the time and NOT a piddling lower league outfit as they are now, regardless of why.

It was just before we started our first season in the PL and KK's team shocked the Scots by winning 2-1 when Rangers were seen(by their fans anyway)as favourites. I can still remember some of their fans whingeing because they had lost to a 'newly-promoted team of nonentities from England', but many of them acknowledged the excellent way we had played and the support our fans had given the team and they threw their scarves down to the Newcastle fans because we deserved the win.

Fast forward to last night and we have a team of supposed French Internationals/Argentine internationals etc and they are lucky to scratch a draw against a lower division Scottish side.

Difference ? One Kevin Keegan as manager and a team fully committed to the cause, even though many of them were still relatively unknown....we went on to finish 3rd in the Premier League, earning the name of The Entertainers.

Yes, 20 years is a LONG time in football.....

The despair for me is when I hear things like "Sissoko on the wing" , "Jonas was really poor" and "we were hitting it long from the keeper" That worrying tells me it's just a continuation of last season with the same old mistakes being made.

What reason is there to expect any different? A proactive manager would have addressed all those issues last season before we were in danger of going down. We don't have one of those.

Why play them this way in the penultimate friendly match then? That's the question. Preseason should be about working on tactics and systems, not just putting players anywhere and saying 'get fit'.

Well i missed the post earlier but Inochi has sprung it back up and it's clear Sissoko wasn't actually on the wing so that defuses a fair share of hatred of posts about Pardew playing him on the wing however it doesn't sound promising that people at the match couldn't really work out what was going on but with it being pre-season it's normal for things to be getting shuffled about. It's a slight worry we couldn't gain a win against Rangers but nothing more, the reaction has just spiralled in to a Pardew hatred campaign once again when everything had just started becoming more positive on this forum yesterday...it lasted a day.

Was there, same old turgid shite that we experienced last year. Cisse out wide and yes Sissoko was out on the wing for quite a considerable amount of time. Basically nothing had changed at all from last season.

I definitely think the negative viewpoint gets a much easier ride on here, yes.

see i don't agree, it's taken a long time to get where we are...i remember during the 5th season when we were huffing, puffing and scraping to victories (prior to ben arfa vs. mackems which kind of changed the end of the season) a number of people like myself were trying to point out how shite our general play was and that pardew's approach was totally unsustainable

we were all shouted down for being ultra-negative and that carried on until the penny dropped last year, now people can see it man, they can see that if we don't change we're potentially in deep trouble again

it's not an easy ride, it's that in football terms the actual reasons to be positive are far outweighed by the negative and to not recognise that is surely just burying your head in the sand?

Well i certainly wish i hadn't read back over this thread, some cringe worthy over the top posting, should have expected it to be fair. A heavy defeat against City and I can see some writing off the season (if they haven’t already after last night’s fatal performance).

This was a canny post though:

Im calling a 90th minute equaliser from Shola

I like things like that  :clap:

In what way? People being rightly annoyed that the failures and rudimentary problems of last season not being  addressed? That we are continuing to use players in wrong positions so close to the start of a new season?

If we're 10 games in and still haven't looked like addressing last seasons problems (which are actually the problems of the season before without the good results) some people will still be asking for more time for Pardew. It's just the way it is.

Guest reefatoon

Well i missed the post earlier but Inochi has sprung it back up and it's clear Sissoko wasn't actually on the wing so that defuses a fair share of hatred of posts about Pardew playing him on the wing however it doesn't sound promising that people at the match couldn't really work out what was going on but with it being pre-season it's normal for things to be getting shuffled about. It's a slight worry we couldn't gain a win against Rangers but nothing more, the reaction has just spiralled in to a Pardew hatred campaign once again when everything had just started becoming more positive on this forum yesterday...it lasted a day.

Things become positive mate until a game is played.  Then we see the same old frustrating s*** (friendly or not). You can't help fans being frustrated when it looks like absolutely nothing has been learned or worked on from last season.  It's easy to sack it off saying "it's just a friendly, who cares".  But we need to start showing something different from the wallop server up last year.  This also goes for the players as well as Pardew mind.  Our lack of creativity through the middle looks a big worry again.

Was there, same old turgid s**** that we experienced last year. Cisse out wide and yes Sissoko was out on the wing for quite a considerable amount of time. Basically nothing had changed at all from last season.

And now a contradictory post to the other fella who was at the match about Sissoko's position...great.

Fuck it, we'll just say he played on the wing. Pardew Out.

Despite the fact we've reportedly played some excellent attacking football this pre-season last night is all down to Pardew and how he's not changed. Our players are far superior to theirs, whether it be 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 we should be taking them to the cleaners.

Well i certainly wish i hadn't read back over this thread, some cringe worthy over the top posting, should have expected it to be fair. A heavy defeat against City and I can see some writing off the season (if they haven’t already after last night’s fatal performance).

This was a canny post though:

Im calling a 90th minute equaliser from Shola

I like things like that  :clap:

Yesterday all positive posts, we are going to do well, we've got Remy, our front 3 is fantastic, and our team looks exciting. Comes to the match and everyone is back on the sack Pardew trail again before the season has even kicked off. All of these comments are from people who have only been refreshing twitter for Lee Ryder updates i must add so have actually no clue to what has actually been happening in between a 30 yard Cabaye effort and a monster tackle from Debuchy for instance. Baffling to draw such conclusions on tactics or the style of play we were using when you haven’t even watched the game yourself or let alone listened to it.

Ahh right aye, we've got NO IDEA WHAT'S HAPPENING. We've all watched an Alan Pardew team for 2 and a half seasons, we know what's fucking happening man :lol:

you're not allowed man, it's just negativity, nothing is relevant until it's too late for some people...happened last year:

person a) we could get relegated for the following reasons

person b) don't be stupid, that's never going to happen for no reason whatsoever

repeat right up until game 36 of the season when the penny drops

same people can't see we need to change, we need to score goals and create fucking chances against garbage like rangers....so fuck if they were up for it, like man city and west ham won't be up for it?

It's been said many times before, some people need to see this group of players coached by a competent manager before they'll realise what we've been dealing with. Roughly 50,000 people, I think.

it's clear Sissoko wasn't actually on the wing so that defuses a fair share of hatred of posts about Pardew playing him on the wing

Cisse out wide and yes Sissoko was out on the wing for quite a considerable amount of time. Basically nothing had changed at all from last season.

it's clear Sissoko wasn't actually on the wing so that defuses a fair share of hatred of posts about Pardew playing him on the wing

Cisse out wide and yes Sissoko was out on the wing for quite a considerable amount of time. Basically nothing had changed at all from last season.

There's another one about how he didn't just play on the wing, and interchanged with the other two.

He has no business on the wing full stop.

I agree with you, but the forward three in a 4-2-3-1 doesn't really include any 'wingers' as such. It's not how I would use Sissoko either, I've said so many times, we should go back to 4-3-3.

It's just the way it's made to look like the act of a madman, trying to get Sissoko to pretend he's Mark Overmars or something. When actually it's a debatable move that is just probably wrong.