Rangers 1 - 1 Newcastle United - pretend you know how it went from page 18

Decky

Guest icemanblue

Did the St Mirren or Blackpool games have quite as much of a reaction as this, by the way? I can't remember much fuss being made.

Things add up over time.

Like what?

Just relying on the individual brilliance of a couple players who are cabable of creating something. Depressing.

Funny thing is, that worked for Harry Redknapp for years. A lot of his teams were basically eight outfield grafting brutes and then two flair players. Not that I'm advocating it in any way, of course.

Does anyone else get the feeling that the only problem Pardew recognised from last season was the lack of strikers? Now he seems to think everything will go smoothly once we sign a couple players upfront.

I'd love to see a manager who had a vision of how the game should be played and would instruct the players based on that. Do we try to keep the ball on the floor and stay in posession? Do we try to counterattack with pace? Do we concentrate on punting it long to our strikers? It's just a mess of everything without any playing identity. They don't seem to have a clear idea what they should do when they get the ball or where they should move when they dont have the ball. Just relying on the individual brilliance of a couple players who are cabable of creating something. Depressing.

Good post. I expect we'll be seeing a few more like that this season, but I hope I'm wrong.

Guest icemanblue

Did the St Mirren or Blackpool games have quite as much of a reaction as this, by the way? I can't remember much fuss being made.

Things add up over time.

Like what?

:sigh:

:lol: Top stuff. The fact is, after those games, there were positives. Comments were made about our efforts to retain possession, build from the back, etc. Now, because we drew and played poorly last night, the whole of pre-season has been a write off. It's properly sad as fuck.

Guest Spark

So we're really expected to believe that the way we try to play football suddenly changes when the league starts :lol:

I fear for you when reality hits out of the blue...

But we did play decent football in a couple of the other pre-season games, by all accounts.

I'm backing Pardew and the players to respond this upcoming season and i believe we will turn things around.

based on what brett?  i'd seriously like to hear an explanation

I've said this explanation numerous times now. I'm sure you'll find it somewhere. Adding Remy to the list of players only enhances my belief the players will stand up and be counted this season. Krul, Debuchy, MYM, Colo, Santon, Tiote, Cabaye, Sissoko, HBA, Remy, Cisse...that's a thereabouts lineup against West Ham, anyone who looks at that and thinks we are in trouble again next season must have serious pessimistic issues. Because that side to me turns me on to be quite frank. I've placed my trust in Pardew to deliver, for me personally he’s had one good season, one bad season, I’m now backing him for another good season. I’m well aware the majority on here see things differently and I accept the way you wish to look at things, be it negative patter and just plain hatred patter, entirely your choice in which you look and choose to support the team. Don’t want to create another stir and for replies to fly back to well he never did this, he does this wrong, he plays there, shouldn’t play there and for me to go into Pardew’s excuse book to back him up. We all have the opinions on the quality of our side and Pardew’s managerial ability, only time will tell us whose judgement is actually correct.

I think I'll take the opinion of the game from Caulkin rather than people speculating. 

Said we created some good stuff, controlled the game, hardly any hoofball, but lacked someone up top to 'hold' the ball up and bring others into play.  Which to be honest, we know is an issue anyway.  This is why someone who's a bit more physical up top, alongside Cisse would be ideal imo.

I'm backing Pardew and the players to respond this upcoming season and i believe we will turn things around.

based on what brett?  i'd seriously like to hear an explanation

I've said this explanation numerous times now. I'm sure you'll find it somewhere. Adding Remy to the list of players only enhances my belief the players will stand up and be counted this season. Krul, Debuchy, MYM, Colo, Santon, Tiote, Cabaye, Sissoko, HBA, Remy, Cisse...that's a thereabouts lineup against West Ham, anyone who looks at that and thinks we are in trouble again next season must have serious pessimistic issues. Because that side to me turns me on to be quite frank. I've placed my trust in Pardew to deliver, for me personally he’s had one good season, one bad season, I’m now backing him for another good season. I’m well aware the majority on here see things differently and I accept the way you wish to look at things, be it negative patter and just plain hatred patter, entirely your choice in which you look and choose to support the team. Don’t want to create another stir and for replies to fly back to well he never did this, he does this wrong, he plays there, shouldn’t play there and for me to go into Pardew’s excuse book to back him up. We all have the opinions on the quality of our side and Pardew’s managerial ability, only time will tell us whose judgement is actually correct.

Fair play to you, I can't be bothered to explain every couple of days.

I accept the way you wish to look at things, be it negative patter and just plain hatred patter,

why does it have to be considered either?  myself and others are purely pointing out valid, football based reasons for supposed pessimism

to be honest, your reason for "backing" pardew for this season is not sound; he may have had one good season but there were underlying issues throughout that season which were directly related to last years abject failure, and ostensibly he doesn't look like he's fixed any of them from what we've seen and heard to date

i said in maybe november last year when pardew was crying for players that it won't solve his problems because he was unable to adapt tactically and get a reaction from the players he did have during the bad times...so what happened?  he got handed new players, had a very brief upturn, and then managed to fuck it up again

why is remy going to change that?  it's not the players the necessarily need to change in the short term, it's either the manager or his tactics and coaching

Guest icemanblue

In what way? People being rightly annoyed that the failures and rudimentary problems of last season not being  addressed? That we are continuing to use players in wrong positions so close to the start of a new season?

you're not allowed man, it's just negativity, nothing is relevant until it's too late for some people...happened last year:

person a) we could get relegated for the following reasons

person b) don't be stupid, that's never going to happen for no reason whatsoever

repeat right up until game 36 of the season when the penny drops

same people can't see we need to change, we need to score goals and create f***ing chances against garbage like rangers....so f*** if they were up for it, like man city and west ham won't be up for it?

It's crazy ,I can't see how people are calling anything an over reaction when it's been a whole season and the pre season where the same stuff is occurring repeatedly. When it's over a sustained period of time it's more just a realistic assessment of how bad we are IMO

It hasn't, though. As others have said, we've had a couple of very decent performances in pre-season, and it's emerging that last night may not actually have been that bad.

So we're really expected to believe that the way we try to play football suddenly changes when the league starts :lol:

I fear for you when reality hits out of the blue...

But we did play decent football in a couple of the other pre-season games, by all accounts.

I think I'll take the opinion of the game from Caulkin rather than people speculating. 

Said we created some good stuff, controlled the game, hardly any hoofball, but lacked someone up top to 'hold' the ball up and bring others into play.  Which to be honest, we know is an issue anyway.  This is why someone who's a bit more physical up top, alongside Cisse would be ideal imo.

And in this one as well if you go off Caulkin  :thup:

In what way? People being rightly annoyed that the failures and rudimentary problems of last season not being  addressed? That we are continuing to use players in wrong positions so close to the start of a new season?

you're not allowed man, it's just negativity, nothing is relevant until it's too late for some people...happened last year:

person b) don't be stupid, that's never going to happen for no reason whatsoever

same people can't see we need to change, we need to score goals and create f***ing chances against garbage like rangers....so f*** if they were up for it, like man city and west ham won't be up for it?

It's crazy ,I can't see how people are calling anything an over reaction when it's been a whole season and the pre season where the same stuff is occurring repeatedly. When it's over a sustained period of time it's more just a realistic assessment of how bad we are IMO

It hasn't, though. As others have said, we've had a couple of very decent performances in pre-season, and it's emerging that last night may not actually have been that bad.

It has, though. From what I've seen and read we've had some good periods inside the games but we havent consistently followed a plan. The weaker periods would be much easier to accept if you could still see what the plan is even if its not working 100% of the time, which it of course almost never does.

I just find it really hard to see what brand of football Pardew wants us to play. Impossible to say if it's because no such plan exists or because he's not cabable of drilling the players to effectively execute that plan.

so in conclusion brett, inochi & ian know no more than the rest of us about how we played last night but choose to believe it was good enough and aren't particularly bothered that we can only draw 1-1 with a third tier scottish team

Sigh.

First couple of games of preseason are about fitness, the last few is about getting your formation and tactics right...last night is close enough to Pardews best XI and we were from all reports fucking shite. That will absolutely transfer in to the start of the season, this is the form and cohesion we will take in to citeh and beyond.

It's great starting with a handicap, especially when your premiership status was only saved on the second final game against a team already down. Who we playing last two games? could be important and a tradition under Pardew.

is it not right?  there's conflicting reports about who played where, and how we played overall no?  so the only thing we really know is the team, opposition and result

That's exactly what I've been saying FFS. But you made up this thing about 'Ian chooses to believe it was good enough'.

Guest icemanblue

Braga will be the litmus test for the tactics etc we are using this season.

west ham will imo.

Rights it will be.

Guest icemanblue

But it has, massively lacking creativity, playing players out of position, insistence on playing Cabaye deep, the lack of a coherent style, floated balls from Elliot to Sissoko. There may have been some slight improvements and that's a positive but the same issues are still there

It's pointless arguing this. We've seen one of our games so far, and went off reports from the rest. Absolutely no way you can reach these conclusions without adding a negative spin to the reports coming out of the games.

is it not right?  there's conflicting reports about who played where, and how we played overall no?  so the only thing we really know is the team, opposition and result

That's exactly what I've been saying FFS. But you made up this thing about 'Ian chooses to believe it was good enough'.

hold on, am i not being accused of ultra-negativity, in fact don't you decry the negativity at every opportunity?  if i'm choosing that then you're certainly choosing to see the positives are you not?  given that neither of us saw the game and all we know is we couldn't beat fucking rangers