2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I may have been a little harsh on Russia but I still don't rank them as a footballing nation in the same way I would with Brazil.

It's not like the country is churning out superstars with any regularity.

Qatar, I wouldn't even call a civilized country, nevermind a football country.

Russia is ranked higher than England, was in the semifinals of Euro 2008, has one of the better leagues in the world, and has a deep history of success dating back to the CCCP. If we are limiting ourselves to places that are more of a hotbed than Russia, not many places will be hosting.

In what way is Qatar not civilised?

One of the countries where if a woman gets raped and reports it it's a higher possibility she'll go to jail than the rapist, for one.

Is this really true though? Or is this your opinion based on what happened to that norwegian girl?

The Norwegian girl happened in Dubai. I checked up the rape laws  in Qatar after the fact though. (Though fair enough I only checked it at the time to see if I could use it as another argument against Qatar. :lol:)

Also, if the media hadn't made such a fuzz as they did she'd be locked up in Dubai right now, no doubt.

Ah fair enough. Was just asking, because sounded unbelievable. But are the laws like that or is there just a lack of victims reporting it?

I may have been a little harsh on Russia but I still don't rank them as a footballing nation in the same way I would with Brazil.

Russia is ranked higher than England, was in the semifinals of Euro 2008, has one of the better leagues in the world, and has a deep history of success dating back to the CCCP. If we are limiting ourselves to places that are more of a hotbed than Russia, not many places will be hosting.

One of the countries where if a woman gets raped and reports it it's a higher possibility she'll go to jail than the rapist, for one.

Is this really true though? Or is this your opinion based on what happened to that norwegian girl?

The Norwegian girl happened in Dubai. I checked up the rape laws  in Qatar after the fact though. (Though fair enough I only checked it at the time to see if I could use it as another argument against Qatar. :lol:)

Also, if the media hadn't made such a fuzz as they did she'd be locked up in Dubai right now, no doubt.

Ah fair enough. Was just asking, because sounded unbelievable. But are the laws like that or is there just a lack of victims reporting it?

I recall an article by a US news site during the Dubai case listing tons of cases in the gulf area where the blame was put on the victim rather than the aggressor, several in Qatar. Will try to find it.

I am quite sure that the laws in most every country in the world criminalise rape, and that Qatar is no different. Spousal rape is different, but actual street rape is banned everywhere.

this is a case like the one recently in the seychelles, maybe maldives in which a woman is raped, after reporting it it's judged that fair enough it may have been without her consent but shes had sex out of wedlock or adulterously, therfore she is the guilty one.

I am quite sure that the laws in most every country in the world criminalise rape, and that Qatar is no different. Spousal rape is different, but actual street rape is banned everywhere.

this is a case like the one recently in the seychelles, maybe maldives in which a woman is raped, after reporting it it's judged that fair enough it may have been without her consent but shes had sex out of wedlock or adulterously, therfore she is the guilty one.

The above is basically the law in Qatar. Rape is "illegal" but the police never investigates the cases and the girls get put away, hence why there's seemingly no rapes in their crime statistics as they never get reported.

I'm not just talking about the national team and their current ranking. Russian football in general ranks nowhere. The premier league, serie a, la liga... all followed globally. Even the Dutch league is on tv if you fancy looking for it.

No one outside of Russia gives half a fuck about the Russian league or Russian players.

I forgot that rules, laws, and practices the West disagrees with=an uncivilised nation. Qatar is a fully industrialised  and extremely organised nation with a very high standard of living for its people and a very educated populace.

You're confusing "rich" with "civilized."

I'm not using the "uncivilized" in the colonial Brit sense, just good old fashioned, classic definition.

A country with that much discrimination against homosexuals, women, other religions, the non-religious, using impoverished migrant workers as slave labor, isn't a civilized country.

You might be ok with it, but I'm not.

I doubt you'd sit on the fence if someone you met in a bar was being an abusive, homophobic, dip shit. Why is it any different when it's a culture and not an individual?

Call it what it is.

I'm not just talking about the national team and their current ranking. Russian football in general ranks nowhere. The premier league, serie a, la liga... all followed globally. Even the Dutch league is on tv if you fancy looking for it.

No one outside of Russia gives half a f*** about the Russian league or Russian players.

So the World Cup should only be hosted in 4-5 Western European countries along with Argentina and Brasil, when 80-90 percent of the countries in the world love and cherish the game? The Russian league is either the fifth or six (depending on how you rate France) league in Europe and one of the ten most highly competitive championships in the world, fwiw. A hell of a lot better than the Netherlands anyway.

I forgot that rules, laws, and practices the West disagrees with=an uncivilised nation. Qatar is a fully industrialised  and extremely organised nation with a very high standard of living for its people and a very educated populace.

I'm not using the "uncivilized" in the colonial Brit sense, just good old fashioned, classic definition.

A country with that much discrimination against homosexuals, women, other religions, the non-religious, using impoverished migrant workers as slave labor, isn't a civilized country.

I doubt you'd sit on the fence if someone you met in a bar was being an abusive, homophobic, dip s***. Why is it any different when it's a culture and not an individual?

Call it what it is.

Europe was uncivilised 40 years ago? Qatar is changing anyway and will have been altered significantly by 2022 (or at least they will hide their transgressions in a better manner). They enjoy foreign money too much for them to allow things like these to keep hitting the world press.

No one outside of Russia gives half a f*** about the Russian league or Russian players.

So the World Cup should only be hosted in 4-5 Western European countries along with Argentina and Brasil, when 80-90 percent of the countries in the world love and cherish the game? The Russian league is either the fifth or six (depending on how you rate France) league in Europe and one of the ten most highly competitive championships in the world, fwiw. A hell of a lot better than the Netherlands anyway.

I doubt you'd sit on the fence if someone you met in a bar was being an abusive, homophobic, dip s***. Why is it any different when it's a culture and not an individual?

Call it what it is.

Europe was uncivilised 40 years ago? Qatar is changing anyway and will have been altered significantly by 2022 (or at least they will hide their transgressions in a better manner). They enjoy foreign money too much for them to allow things like these to keep hitting the world press.

Really? The 1970s was the birth of worker's rights and religious freedom in Europe? Get to fuck.

Qatar is living 100 years in the past. They still have flogging for "illicit sex crimes."

I don't care how much progress you're assuming/hoping they'll make in the next 9 years. Right now, today, this second, they're a backwards-ass country and it's not awful for me to say so.

Call it what it is.

Really? The 1970s was the birth of worker's rights and religious freedom in Europe? Get to fuck.

Qatar is living 100 years in the past. They still have flogging for "illicit sex crimes."

I don't care how much progress you're assuming/hoping they'll make in the next 9 years. Right now, today, this second, they're a backwards-ass country and it's not awful for me to say so.

:thup:

Still baffled FIFA haven't even made a statement regarding the horrible anti-gay laws in Russia as well. So much for wanting gay athletes to step forward knowing that in just five years time they could go to jail if they choose to represent their country whilst openly being gay at the biggest stage.

"The group stage matches will be played at 13:00, 16:00, 17:00, 18:00, and 19:00 local time, with knockout stage matches at 13.00 and 17.00 local time. The semi-finals will be played at 17:00 local time and the Final, on 13 July 2014 at the Maracana stadium, at 16:00 local time"

Brazil is 3 hours behind us.

"The group stage matches will be played at 13:00, 16:00, 17:00, 18:00, and 19:00 local time, with knockout stage matches at 13.00 and 17.00 local time. The semi-finals will be played at 17:00 local time and the Final, on 13 July 2014 at the Maracana stadium, at 16:00 local time"

Brazil is 3 hours behind us.

IDIOT TRANSLATION:

Group stage: 4pm, 7pm, 8pm, 9pm

Knockout stage: 4pm, 8pm

Semi-finals: 8pm

Final: 7pm

Fuck what a shitty process the Sales Phase are. You have to have sufficient funds in your account from the moment you apply. Meaning, if I get every single ticket I applied for, I'll be broke as fuck...

If Uruguay does the business in their last 2 games and qualifies directly, then we pretty much have all the Seedings:

Top Seed: Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Colombia, Italy, Germany, Belgium

Seed 2: Iran, Australia, Korea, Japan, USA, Costa Rica, Concacaf 3rd, Concacaf 4th/New Zealand

Seed 3: 8 European teams

Seed 4: 5 African teams, Chile, Ecuador

Seed X: a European team determined by draw, to ensure there won't be 3 European teams in one group. Serbia was in Seed X in 2006.

All of this assuming 5th South American team wipes the floor with Jordan, which they will.

If Uruguay does the business in their last 2 games and qualifies directly, then we pretty much have all the Seedings:

Top Seed: Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Colombia, Italy, Germany, Belgium

Seed 2: Iran, Australia, Korea, Japan, USA, Costa Rica, Concacaf 3rd, Concacaf 4th/New Zealand

Seed 3: 8 European teams

Seed 4: 5 African teams, Chile, Ecuador

Seed X: a European team determined by draw, to ensure there won't be 3 European teams in one group. Serbia was in Seed X in 2006.

All of this assuming 5th South American team wipes the floor with Jordan, which they will.

Is it done on rankings?