Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your general point always seems to be more around who the fuck would work under Ashley, which is something I can get on board with but not this.

Comparing Pardew's record to that of a load of failed NUFC managers and not giving any credence to the idea that we have at certain points had more or less gifted sets of players and also pretty much ignoring style of football (that doesn't fall into anything you can quantify with stats, e.g. no of long balls) seems completely pointless to me.

Pardew's average finishing position and points total is better than all premier league era NUFC managers outside of Keegan and Robson, so he is getting more from the players he has.

He also gave us our 2nd worst premier league finish.

He has better players than those managers and we've appointed some appalling managers. :lol:

I agree.  Including Pardew. 

Everything is in order.

Man.  Depressing. :lol:

I've continually said with Pardew that we have a better set of players than our performances show, it should be a bit of fun watching us but it isn't.  I don't see why what hippo-heed was deeing with Rozenhal and Cacapa or whoever has much relevance, this is the here and now and you've said nothing that makes me think that a decent coach off the continent couldn't do a better job of entertaining while still getting results.  This "most of our managers have been shit so this is a way to prove Pardew is a bit less shit, with very little focus on context or subjective analysis of performances" stuff isn't for me.

And that's probably me done for the night, maybe another time though.

Don't see how you can argue he's getting more from his players when he obviously can't utilise quality like Ben Arfa and Anita?

There isn't a stat for that.  As much as I like some of HF's statistics, there doesn't appear to be much comment on performances from a football viewer's perspective.

Your general point always seems to be more around who the fuck would work under Ashley, which is something I can get on board with but not this.

Comparing Pardew's record to that of a load of failed NUFC managers and not giving any credence to the idea that we have at certain points had more or less gifted sets of players and also pretty much ignoring style of football (that doesn't fall into anything you can quantify with stats, e.g. no of long balls) seems completely pointless to me.

Many NUFC managers failed with better squads.  Dalglish inherited a class team and destroyed it.  Some would say he's more tactically astute.  Gullit didn't have an awful squad either but failed to get owt from them. 

Souness inherited another squad capable of champions league and dragged them down the gutter, which successive managers couldn't then drag them out of.

I don't ignore the style of football.  It's not paramount to me when we have such a shit manager and only shit waiting in the wings if he fails though.

Guest bimpy474

Pardew is s***. Ok, lets move on. This topic is f***ing boring tbh

Why do you read posts in a boring topic?

Well it must be a bit like when people call TV shows shit when they dont watch them.

Many NUFC managers failed with better squads.  Dalglish inherited a class team and destroyed it.  Some would say he's more tactically astute.  Gullit didn't have an awful squad either but failed to get owt from them. 

Souness inherited another squad capable of champions league and dragged them down the gutter, which successive managers couldn't then drag them out of.

I don't ignore the style of football.  It's not paramount to me when we have such a s*** manager and only s*** waiting in the wings if he fails though.

:jesuswept:

It's a shock that our grinding out results and relying on a bit of magic / luck / phases of the moon tactic has resulted in us getting humped.  That tactic is totally sustainable and reliable and is in no way liable to fall apart if one of the aforementioned factors don't run in our favour.  We finished fifth for heavens sake, we need to play like this forever because it clearly works and is the way forward for football.

Just look at the league table and shut up.

I find it interesting that we were originally talking about comparing squads from the last 5-10 years to the current one and now we're going back to the year we nearly won the title almost 20 years ago like. :lol:

Not that I agree Pardew's doing better with his resources as such, just saying.

I find it interesting that we were originally talking about comparing squads from the last 5-10 years to the current one and now we're going back to the year we nearly won the title almost 20 years ago like. :lol:

He's comparing a team which was forced to play with Ian Rush and John Barnes to the one we have today.  :lol:

He's comparing a team which was forced to play with Ian Rush and John Barnes to the one we have today.  :lol:

Canny players them, like.  Maybe not at 74 years old like we had but still.

Dalglish was also forced to sell Les Ferdinand, didn't just happen to poor old Pards under Mike Ashley.

He was, the same day Shearer had a terrible injury which ruled him out for months.

I'd be really interested to see our PL record under Pardew in games with normal rest vs. games with short rest (whether it's due to cups, rearranged games, or scheduled midweek games). If it's as poor as I think it might be then a small squad could be partially blamed, but I don't think that's the full picture. I really feel like he (and our whole coaching staff) struggles to produce a solid gameplan in a shortened timeframe or maybe something to do with motivation/focus.

I'd be really interested to see our PL record under Pardew in games with normal rest vs. games with short rest (whether it's due to cups, rearranged games, or scheduled midweek games). If it's as poor as I think it might be then a small squad could be partially blamed, but I don't think that's the full picture. I really feel like he (and our whole coaching staff) struggles to produce a solid gameplan in a shortened timeframe or maybe something to do with motivation/focus.

assuming there's anything in that, it simply means we have a poor manager and coaching staff

hey brett, when you get up, we got that twatting (scoreline at least) a game early mate - what was it you said?  i'll paraphrase:  "how dare you come on here after 4 wins in a row and say we're in for a twatting?  the players deserve more respect than that" :lol:

it's almost like there's more to football than the narrow confines of a one-goal margin scoreline on a sheet of paper, or the league table