Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

tollemache is your classic football know-nowt who thinks that it's all about money and players and that a manager has a minimal effect on proceedings. You'd think Ferguson -> Moyes would have made people like this stop spending their days licking windows and wake up to reality but apparently not.

Reminds me of Christmas Tree, just knows the sum of nothing about the game.

Guest tollemache

be specific?

Specifically it wouldn't take an awful lot of money to break into the top 6, we did it two seasons ago and Everton look like doing it this season.

And why does it bother you how much we spend?

Yes we could feasibly poke our heads round the door and squeak into 4th for a year. Could definitely happen. I'm talking about having a team that'll do it every year.

It bothers me because if we spunk all our money we'll end up doing badly.

Teams under and over perform, yes. We were talking about reasonable expectations though, i.e; what would you say was a reasonable target for team X, and where would you generally expect them to finish.

"But we finished really high once!" Yep

"And we finished really low this other time!" Yep

That's not really the point.

At the beginning of the season I thought Pardew was going to have us in or around the bottom 3.  Things have been better than that and if he was a better manager I don't see any reason to see why we couldn't be at least 3 places higher up the league than we currently are.  Your target of 8th is probably 1 place off where we should be if other teams perform the way they should on paper, football isn't played on paper and Man U are poor this season.

Guest tollemache

be specific?

Specifically it wouldn't take an awful lot of money to break into the top 6, we did it two seasons ago and Everton look like doing it this season.

Yes we could feasibly poke our heads round the door and squeak into 4th for a year. Could definitely happen. I'm talking about having a team that'll do it every year.

:lol: yeah like City/Chelsea. Honestly man, give it up

I said our money, not some oligarch's.

Hey, you've cracked it! We should just spend £500m and then win the league! Good man

Just when you thought this thread couldn't get worse, Trollemache turns the past few pages upside down. :lol:

He's posted more today than he has in a full year previously :lol:

I miss those times.

Guest tollemache

Teams under and over perform, yes. We were talking about reasonable expectations though, i.e; what would you say was a reasonable target for team X, and where would you generally expect them to finish.

"But we finished really high once!" Yep

"And we finished really low this other time!" Yep

That's not really the point.

At the beginning of the season I thought Pardew was going to have us in or around the bottom 3.  Things have been better than that and if he was a better manager I don't see any reason to see why we couldn't be at least 3 places higher up the league than we currently are.  Your target of 8th is probably 1 place off where we should be if other teams perform the way they should on paper, football isn't played on paper and Man U are poor this season.

Yes, if an awesome manager came in we might've done a bit better and that would be lovely. My point was simply that I don't think Pardew has really underperformed (strictly in terms of results / league position, not style of play etc) this season, and is thus unlikely to be a) sacked or b) judged a failure by the media / neutrals

Guest tollemache

be specific?

:lol: yeah like City/Chelsea. Honestly man, give it up

I said our money, not some oligarch's.

Hey, you've cracked it! We should just spend £500m and then win the league! Good man

That's basically what you've been arguing!!! FFS man! "Our" money, you mean mike Ashley's, the billionaire? How is our money different to theirs? What the fuck are you talking about?

I didn't realise our coffers had been completely merged with his personal bank account. We're a business in our own right - we want to run at a profit and be ok if and when he fucks off

Doing badly, as in relegated?  We've done that and didn't spend much to do it, I think it might have been £3 million if we're generous.

Yes, if an awesome manager came in we might've done a bit better and that would be lovely. My point was simply that I don't think Pardew has really underperformed (strictly in terms of results / league position, not style of play etc) this season, and is thus unlikely to be a) sacked or b) judged a failure by the media / neutrals

You are totally nuts.

Keegan used to say he would spend the season ticket money the fans paid each season on improving the team and the club would run itself off the commercial income ......................Ashley doesn't even spend the hot dog money on improving the team

Guest tollemache

You are totally nuts.

Where's the nuts bit for fuck's sake? If he finishes 9th he's achieved a league position roughly in line with expectations so nobody in the press etc will get on his back. That is absolutely stone cold fucking true. The team could've played the absolute worst, most eyewatering long-ball wank all year and that would still be true.

Guest tollemache

Are people confusing this with me somehow saying Pardew is a great manager who should never leave or something? It feels like that's what's happening

Puting aside your attempt at statistics deduction, tell me that based on what you've watched with you own eyes, that an even slightly better manager could not improve our league position especially given how the other teams around us are performing this year? You either won't have the guts to say that or like Mick said, you're nuts!

Guest bimpy474

Maybe we could spend some money and try and compete for something? :dontknow:

See this is the reckless attitude that will lead us to the road of Portsmouth. You should be ashamed of yourself Caj tbh.