WBA 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 01/01/14 - post-match reaction from page 34

BlueStar

Games like today show up the frailties of the manager and the squad. A side there to be beaten but we manager to shoot ourselves in the foot and the manager does his best to keep us in the back foot.

Still a decent haul so far but results like today don't really surprise me, we always struggle to put away sides that we should be beating or certainly not losing to. It's for that reason that I can still see the Mackems coming to St James to turn us over despite how shit they are.

Up to the sending off we had something like 70% possession but most of it was passing backwards and forwards across the back 4 with no movement in front.

What's new ? That is the default setting.

Haven't seen the game and don't intend to watch it - we have had so many of this type of result/performances against sides like WBA over the years after a decent run that most of us who have followed the club for many years have come to expect it.

I actually thought we would lose the next 2 PL games after Arsenal and it looks almost certain that we will. In addition, the absence of Colo and Debuchy is going to hit us hard over the succeeding weeks and games v Norwich & W.Ham will be far from easy with the set up we will have.

Debuchy appears to have been stupid in getting sent off but he has been excellent over several weeks now whereas some players have consistently been average or worse over that period.

I will not comment on HBA's part in the pen because I haven't seen it but I have my own views about the player although I would like to see him in a better side/playing for a better manager before I pass final

judgement....I suspect that not too many top PL sides would sign him though - we shall see.

We all knew it was a matter of time before the good run came to an end because the squad lacks vital quality in important positions and certainly strength in depth - this is not going to change any time soon for the reasons we know all too well so people had better get used to this sort of result coming along and probably, a run of poor results after a run of good ones...that is what happens with NUFC and has done over the years apart from under KK during promotion/PL seasons and SBR after he got the side sorted out.

The FA Cup game is not going to be any easier either after Cardiff's determined performance against Arsenal and the likelihood of Solskjaer taking over as manager before then - again, we shall see......Pardew has form in FA Cup ties......