January Transfer Window slams shut

Nobody

Does it matter as long as we've got a team capable of doing well on the pitch? I don't think it would have cost a lot to have a team pushing Everton at the very least.

You've answered your own question in the same post as you've asked it.

Let me sum it up. :laugh:

You don't need to spend vast amounts of money to build a quality squad. Player valuations are all over the place these days.

However, the fact that we're £43million away from spending NOTHING, proves the club is run by a bunch of c***s who couldn't care less about really succeeding.

That's my point.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/newcastle-united-transfers.html

£24m of that was brought in when we went down (although they've got Routledge & Best as Undisclosed without giving a fee so more like £21m). The players sold (Martins, Bassong, Beye & Duff) were replaced in the January (Best, Williamson, Simpson & Routledge).

£35m was brought in for Carroll, we spent £9m on his replacement Cisse.

That accounts for £45m plus where we've sold players and replaced them cheaper.

I couldn't give a fuck if we did that regularly, if we sold Cabaye for £19m and replaced him for £8m effectively making another £11m, I couldn't give a toss. My issue is not replacing on this occasion.

I see what you're saying. And like I say, I'm all for sensible transfers for sensible prices - especially when you consider some of our great buys.

I'm talking about the extreme to which we have taken our frugality. Carroll for Ba/Cisse, sure, that's a good example of us exploiting the ridiculous over-valuations that pulsate around today's transfer market... but why does it have to end there? Why does everything have to be like-for-like? We're fucking loaded! ???

"Carroll for Ba and Cisse... nice one fellas, we've upgraded and also raked in about £25million. Fucking jackpot. What an opportunity. Okay, we've sorted out the most pressing problem by replacing the player we lost, now, what are we going to do with this fucking £25million-sized goldmine we're sat on?" Unfortunately, the answer is fuck all because they're totally ambition-less. They've done the bare minimum.

(That's a bit of a wishy-washy analogy but you know what I'm getting at).

The league was primed for a shake-up this year and we were in a better position than anyone to make a stab at it (aside from The Sovereign States). But we couldn't give a shit, content to do the bare minimum required to remain 8th-17th. Cabaye leaving without a replacement just summarises the whole thing. We're safe anyway.

January window has officially become a selling window imo. Nearly all the teams are asking for inflated fees and only the billionaires and idiots are going to buy players during the window.

Not defending the club though, we are in massive problem now, I hope we don't have any more injuries or else we would suffer a great slump.

It's typically the same people saying "we don't need to spend anything because we're doing fine without" that say we can't compete with the bigger clubs because they've got too much money to spend. You can't have it both ways.

Does it matter as long as we've got a team capable of doing well on the pitch? I don't think it would have cost a lot to have a team pushing Everton at the very least.

I don't class finishing 8th as "doing well", nor do I put exiting the cups as soon as possible every year into that category.

I can't get my head around that being eight is some kind of achievement? Yes it's an improvement on last year but the season before we were in the CL shake up going into the last day of the season. In the past we've challenged for titles, CL spots, competed in the CL spots and reached cup finals, that's doing well, given the squad we have even a modest investment in the summer and now could have seen us push for a CL spot especially this season.

I don't class finishing 8th as "doing well", nor do I put exiting the cups as soon as possible every year into that category.

Agreed. Although at the same time I would find 8th a lot easier to accept if we were having a proper go in the cups. You know, the only real chance we have of actually winning anything!

You don't need to spend vast amounts of money to build a quality squad. Player valuations are all over the place these days.

However, the fact that we're £43million away from spending NOTHING, proves the club is run by a bunch of c***s who couldn't care less about really succeeding.

That's my point.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/newcastle-united-transfers.html

£24m of that was brought in when we went down (although they've got Routledge & Best as Undisclosed without giving a fee so more like £21m). The players sold (Martins, Bassong, Beye & Duff) were replaced in the January (Best, Williamson, Simpson & Routledge).

I couldn't give a f*** if we did that regularly, if we sold Cabaye for £19m and replaced him for £8m effectively making another £11m, I couldn't give a toss. My issue is not replacing on this occasion.

Aye, because it's not like that's ever happened before, has it Nut?

That's my point.

I couldn't give a f*** if we did that regularly, if we sold Cabaye for £19m and replaced him for £8m effectively making another £11m, I couldn't give a toss. My issue is not replacing on this occasion.

Aye, because it's not like that's ever happened before, has it Nut?

Apart from Carroll, this was the first time we really needed to replace an outgoing. Anyway it's the derby, not talking about this bollocks anymore.

Hate Cabaye leaving, annoyed we didn't get a replacement in.

Thank god we have Anita, but past that we are in big trouble for decent CM's.

I suppose it's again a case of being able to stick to the plan of finishing outside of Europe but top half of the table please so it looks like we are trying. Selling Cabaye and not replacing keeps the money rolling in and the team ticking over in state of no ambition.