Current Loanees - Next Season?

Guest Recoba

We have a bunch of players out of loan.  With the exception of Jonas and Amalfitano, all are under 23.  What do we do with them going forward?

James Tavernier, Rotherham.  Was nominated for League One player of the month last month.  I thought he looked decent in odd appearances last season, looks physically decent at least with some power and pace.  Back up for Debuchy next year?

Haris Vuckic, Rotherham.  If he cannot pull up trees in League One then I worry about him.  I do not think he has enough explosiveness to be a success in the English game.  Maybe a move abroad would be best for all parties.  Serie A might suit him.

Mehdi Abeid, Panathanaikos.  Seems to be playing games and scoring goals in Greece.  I have no idea how crap/good the Greek league is but I am guessing it is better than the SPL if nothing else. . .

Conor Newton, St Mirren.  Seemingly one of the better young midfielders in the SPL, has been linked with Celtic.  Will he ever be Premiership quality or should we cut loose?

Adam Campbell, St Mirren.  Has bagged a couple of goals in his first half dozen or so games.  Another loan next season?

Curtis Good, Dundee United.  Another one who should perhaps get loaned out next season?

Shane Ferguson, Birmingham.  Appears to be having a shit season under Clarkie.  Can't even get into the squad at the moment.  Nice left foot and cross on him but not sure about him.

Know very little about any of them but Vuckic seems destined to never make it.

Quite liked the few games I saw from Ferguson but he seems like another that will look promising then struggle to even make the game at any decent level.

It's weird really, if Pardle wanted to play 4-4-2 - which for a time he did - Ferguson was arguably our best player for it given he can defend as a wideman and play a decent cross in.

None of them will make it here like IMO, unsurprisingly.

Don't forget Jonas Gutierrez and Romain Amalfitano. NUFC obviously don't want to keep either of them.

I think the club would be happy to get rid of most of them. They'll see how Curtis Good, Adam Campbell and James Tavernier get on during their loans but will any of them ever be Premier League quality?

Don't forget Jonas Gutierrez and Romain Amalfitano. NUFC obviously don't want to keep either of them.

I think the club would be happy to get rid of most of them. They'll see how Curtis Good, Adam Campbell and James Tavernier get on during their loans but will any of them ever be Premier League quality?

Didn't forget

We have a bunch of players out of loan.  With the exception of Jonas and Amalfitano, all are under 23.  What do we do with them going forward?

As far as I'm concerned the only relevant information is as follows:

James Tavernier - 22 years old. He's either ready for next season or get rid.

Haris Vuckic - 21 years old. See above.

Mehdi Abeid - 21 years old. See above.

Conor Newton - 22 years old. See above.

Adam Campbell - 19 years old. Needs some game time at increasingly higher levels.

Curtis Good - 20 years old. See Adam Campbell.

Shane Ferguson - 22 years old. It's now or never, broseph.

As far as I'm concerned the only relevant information is as follows:

James Tavernier - 22 years old. He's either ready for next season or get rid.

Haris Vuckic - 21 years old. See above.

Mehdi Abeid - 21 years old. See above.

Conor Newton - 22 years old. See above.

Adam Campbell - 19 years old. Needs some game time at increasingly higher levels.

Curtis Good - 20 years old. See Adam Campbell.

Shane Ferguson - 22 years old. It's now or never, broseph.

This.

Out of all of them Fergie is the only one that looked like he could make it, for me. He is barely getting playing time though at brum, so there must be some issue. Shame.

We really haven't seen enough of any of them.

Just for some perspective:

Aaron Ramsey was a useful, playable, Arsenal squad member at age 18.

Theo Walcott was a useful, playable, Arsenal squad member at age 18.

Aaron Lennon was playing for Leeds age 16 and was a useful, playable, Spurs squad member -and nominated for young player of the year - age 19.

Jack Wilshere has been a useful member of the Arsenal squad since age 18. He's currently still only 22.

Jordan Henderson since age 20. Currently 23.

Raheem Sterling is currently 19 years old.

There are a ton of other examples but you get the gist.

With our paper-thin squad we've got plenty of opportunities for the kids. James Perch took the chances he was given and stepped up. So did Andy Carroll. There's no sign of most of the kids listed in the original post being anywhere near good enough. Last chance saloon for most of them.

I've always felt like something was missing with Vuckic. Agree that he might do better in a league with more space and time on the ball.

I'd like to see Tavernier given a chance, but if Debuchy is still here I'm not sure how that will happen.

Campbell needs to be doing the business in the Championship next season. Would like to see Good there as well.

Disappointed by Ferguson. Really liked the look of him - still think he'll turn out to be a decent Championship player at a minimum.

Haven't seen enough of Abeid or Newton to comment, although I do feel like we highly rated Abeid upon his arrival and in the early going and then things suddenly changed. Not sure why.

I'm pretty confident the only reason Tav, Vuckic, Abeid, Newton are on loan is as a shop window. Ferguson is probably out to keep him busy. He has made some ok appearances but he's not about to push Gouf or anyone else out of the team. We don't just want him stagnating on the bench in case we do end up needing him when we let people go in the summer.

Just for some perspective:

Aaron Ramsey was a useful, playable, Arsenal squad member at age 18.

Theo Walcott was a useful, playable, Arsenal squad member at age 18.

Aaron Lennon was playing for Leeds age 16 and was a useful, playable, Spurs squad member -and nominated for young player of the year - age 19.

Jack Wilshere has been a useful member of the Arsenal squad since age 18. He's currently still only 22.

Jordan Henderson since age 20. Currently 23.

Raheem Sterling is currently 19 years old.

There are a ton of other examples but you get the gist.

With our paper-thin squad we've got plenty of opportunities for the kids. James Perch took the chances he was given and stepped up. So did Andy Carroll. There's no sign of most of the kids listed in the original post being anywhere near good enough. Last chance saloon for most of them.

Tbf most of those would walk into our first team, we don't have the ambitions of teams like Arsenal, Liverpool or Spurs so if we can manage to get the odd decent squad player (Dummett, Sammy?) out of the academy we have probably done quite well.

The problem is a kid doesn't set the world alight and they are not given another chance. I would play Sammy to the end of the season personally in as many games as possible and judge his progress. You need to give players more than a 10 minute cameo every 20 games

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

I think that our hands are tied at the moment. Even if we want to get rid we have to be careful because of the homegrown rule and our squad depth which could be tested to the extreme next season. Ferguson is the only player who has impressed me but could barely get some playing time last season and doesn't look to be doing well at Brum. Abeid is okish and has really surprised me by his attitude. There aren't many young players who would go overseas to an unknown league , not speaking a word of the language and settle in so quick. Vuckic has never really impressed me as a player although he does have a decent shot in him. His injuries woes may have hampered his progress and I don't see his future with us.

None of them will ever be good enough to represent us on a regular basis.

Mostly this - all should be making occasional appearances throughout the PL season if they had anything.

Our youth set up needs serious attention at all levels...