Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

Anita

Strengths

Crossing - Strong

Holding on to the ball- Strong

Has blood

Weaknesses

Aerial Duels - Weak

Vurnon Anita's Style of Play

Plays the ball off the ground often

Does not dive into tackles

We haven't replaced Cabaye, labelling Colback as his replacement is complete bollocks. If that's how he's being judged he should pack it all in now. I've said before that he shouldn't be judged by the general ineptitude of our transfer policy. Colback is doing to Tiote role and Tiote just happened to have Cabaye to give it to. Neither Wijnaldum or Sissoko make themselves as readily available as Cabaye did.

If you had your pick of players to put there who would you choose? Teams need balance, even when we were good/ better than now we had the likes of Batty and Butt playing that role. We don't keep the ball well enough not to have someone playing a really boring holding position. I'll say again he's bang average but he's doing what he's been told to do.

What are you talking about man, him playing the holding role and doing what he's told to do doesn't excuse the fact he's extremely limited. That's the problem and why people rightfully are pissed off we're at a point where he's our main central midfielder.

What's the point of his role then? He doesn't break things up. He does nowt. He gets leeway on being a Geordie and a few goals and assists last year. He's ( like many mind) been awful this season.

He does break things up and he does protect the back four where there'd otherwise be space. It's not glamorous and it's certainly not eye catching but it is functional.

You must be watching a different game to me then. All I see is him watching the game go by as the opposition run all around him. The only tackles he makes are the ones where the ball is right in front of him, a yard of space and he's got no chance in hell of staying with the opposition. Breaking up play is what Abeid was doing before he left. He might not be the most skilful player but he could hunt down the ball and press the opposition. Colback's a spare part, too slow to break up play and too safe to offer anything going forward.

Anita

Strengths

Crossing - Strong

Has blood

Weaknesses

Aerial Duels - Weak

Similar to Colback then? okay.

I don't know why you keep comparing the two. Anita is far sharper in the tackle and quicker across the ground and some carefully selected stats aren't going to change that. Colback is better going forward, but we are comparing them as defensive midfielders not Jack of all trades master of none. (Pun intended).

Guest firetotheworks

Anita

Strengths

Crossing - Strong

Has blood

Weaknesses

Aerial Duels - Weak

Not like you to invent an argument where there wasn't one and still shoehorn your opinion into it.

Weaknesses: Crossing

Takes all the set pieces. :thup:

We really don't have anyone who can properly whip a dead ball. There's no one I'd fancy over a free-kick. I wonder if Mitro can hit one.

Talking about that. Have we had a free kick in a decent shooting posision all season? I seriously can't remember anyone  :lol:

Let's keep it simple and give Colback a role and discuss how he is fulfilling it. Is he an attacking midfielder? No. Is he a box to box midfielder? Well I suppose you could argue that if trotting up and down the pitch at a leisurely pace can be accommodated then maybe, but in the premier league it's not going to work. That leaves us with defensive midfielder so let's discuss his merits on those lines.I would argue that if he could defend, he wouldn't end up pulling down faster players all the time because he can't keep up with them. 

Anita

Strengths

Crossing - Strong

Has blood

Weaknesses

Aerial Duels - Weak

I don't know why you keep comparing the two. Anita is far sharper in the tackle and quicker across the ground and some carefully selected stats aren't going to change that. Colback is better going forward, but we are comparing them as defensive midfielders not Jack of all trades master of none. (Pun intended).

For a DM you would like something Aerial duals, tackling, concentration, interceptions and passing as strengths.

He's a nothing player.

Colback as we all know is a nothing player.

Why does one always get stick and not the other?

Guest firetotheworks

1. This is the Jack Colback thread.

2. That question has been answered time after time after time - Anita is useless unless he's played in a formation that suits him and people can see that there's quality in there. Colback is entirely useless and people can't see any quality in there.

It's not that difficult.

Fwiw I wouldn't want Colback in the side but he's the best option we currently have for the way we need to play. Any defence of him is based on posters expecting him to be able to do things which we all knew he couldn't before we signed him. That disappointment is down to the club's transfer policy and not Colback's abilities. He should have been a squad player but is in the side purely down to the club ignoring the team's needs. The money spent on Thauvin would have been much better spent on a better holding player.

FWIW I think Anita is wank anarl. Our midfield needs fucking butchering.

This basically. It annoys me no end that we appear to have bought a whole bunch of midfielders who are either capable of only shielding the back four or playing as a number 10. There's not one out of the whole lot who I would call a complete box to box man. The nearest would be Wijnaldum but even he seems more suited to the attacking role.

I wouldn't mind two real defensive midfielders if they could win some headers, get about the pitch and physically dominate the opposition.

Me neither, think it can be a decent system TBH. FWIW I think Anita could play alongside a genuine DM who can actually affect the game.