The other games today - 2014/15

Trumpet

Best league in the world. So that's potentially only Chelsea left (who themselves were worse than PSG in the first leg and will have problems if they don't up themselves) and Everton who got an easy tie.

3 winners and 5 runners up in the last 10 years isn't bad.  :undecided:

Spain 4 times winners once runner up.

Italy 2 times winners once runner up.

Germany 2 times winners 3 times runner up.

Spain are much more successful in terms of Europa League too as well. ;) :p

And Leverkusen could very easily knock out the Spanish champions. Never really understood how European results considering they are by all rights cup games are indicative of league strength.

Monaco and Besiktas are about to knock out two English teams, are the Turkish and french league great now?  European results never have been indicative of league strength and it never will, because it's a cup and the league is well a league.

Even when everyone agreed England was the best the teams outside the top 4 were s****, Villa were probably the best and their best player was Ashley f***ing Young.

Didn't mean to ramble on here, but seeing everytime a team loses means a particular league sucks is kinda a pet peeve of mine as it's completely irrelevant.

PL still isn't the best league in the world. Level has fallen every year for the past 5 years or so. That Chelsea side that won the CL was never even close to the Man U side that lost to Barcelona in the finals couple years earlier.

Tbh I was shocked english teams have done so well in the last decade, I pretty much think they are shite in the CL, usually outclassed technically and tactically.

Europa man, it's, well, the Europa  :lol: I love it when we're in it, but it's pretty pointless when you're not.

Guest neesy111

Europa man, it's, well, the Europa  :lol: I love it when we're in it, but it's pretty pointless when you're not.

How is it pointless?

How is it pointless?

Most teams either treat it as a consolation, a distraction, or a hinderance. It means the effort and quality is all over the place...bit like the league cup. It's certainly not a measurement of a team, it's too unpredictable. Of course you'll say that's a good thing, maybe it is for some but it's cheapened by the teams that don't want to be in it and it won't change until CL teams don't drop in for 3rd place and goes back to knockout right the way through.

How is it pointless?

Most teams either treat it as a consolation, a distraction, or a hinderance. It means the effort and quality is all over the place...bit like the league cup. It's certainly not a measurement of a team, it's too unpredictable. Of course you'll say that's a good thing, maybe it is for some but it's cheapened by the teams that don't want to be in it and it won't change until CL teams don't drop in for 3rd place and goes back to knockout right the way through.

It's a lot more important now that CL qualification is guaranteed by winning it.

Never said it was.

Why did you go on a double-spaced-paragraph-ramble then? ;)

More to do with the reaction to defeats in Europe means a league is strong or weak, not just the PL but in general and I find the whole thing without substance.

Personally I don't find any of the major leagues to be all that great, but I don't believe European results are indicative of how good/bad each league is.

Not aimed at you btw, just a general feeling and I felt like writing about it.

How is it pointless?

It's a lot more important now that CL qualification is guaranteed by winning it.

Meh.

Tbf it's a good incentive, but no doubt a dropped CL club will get it, defeating the whole purpose of the competition. Until that changes it will always be a load of bollocks.

Europa League provided fans of teams who go far in it/win it better memories than plodding about in the league ever did I'd imagine.

Great competition and its ridiculous the way English teams turn their noses up at. Well I say that, that always seems to be the excuse when they get dumped out anyway.

How is it pointless?

It's important anyway for the teams that win it. You know what with it being a trophy and everything. I know you'd probably not realise that from your ivory tower of endless glory hunting success. Throwing in the token prize like that to try and make up for the terrible branding, formatting and scheduling decisions they've made to fuck up the UEFA Cup in the first place is a load of shite.

How is it pointless?

It's important anyway for the teams that win it. You know what with it being a trophy and everything. I know you'd probably not realise that from your ivory tower of endless glory hunting success. Throwing in the token prize like that to try and make up for the terrible branding, format, scheduling decisions they've made to fuck up the UEFA Cup in the first place is a load of shite.

Would be great to have it treated properly by eufa with that prize at the end of it, think teams would take it seriously. Knock outs throughout no CL clubs. Simples.

How is it pointless?

It's important anyway for the teams that win it. You know what with it being a trophy and everything. I know you'd probably not realise that from your ivory tower of endless glory hunting success. Throwing in the token prize like that to try and make up for the terrible branding, format, scheduling decisions they've made to fuck up the UEFA Cup in the first place is a load of shite.

Would be great to have it treated properly by eufa with that prize at the end of it, think teams would take it seriously. Knock outs throughout no CL clubs. Simples.

A lot of teams do take it seriously, all 3 English teams have played near full strength teams in both legs - sometimes you're just not good enough and then you can pretend it was shite anyway.

How is it pointless?

It's important anyway for the teams that win it. You know what with it being a trophy and everything. I know you'd probably not realise that from your ivory tower of endless glory hunting success. Throwing in the token prize like that to try and make up for the terrible branding, formatting and scheduling decisions they've made to fuck up the UEFA Cup in the first place is a load of shite.

4bbe084071f9ea727539a72551a4df4e.jpg

How is it pointless?

Sorry but pretty much everytime you talk about football you sound like the typical aloof, Man Utd glory hunter. Everybody knows one.

How is it pointless?

Sorry but pretty much everytime you talk about football you sound like the typical aloof, Man Utd glory hunter. Everybody knows one.

It must be me stating the blatantly obvious is it? Shall we just pretend that the majority of Italian teams didn't treat it as a reserve run out for years? It's fuck all to do with Manchester United and glory hunting. It's just the truth. It has gained more importance to a lot of teams because of the new stipulation. Stop being a dick.

So do you think the fans of whoever wins this will be enjoying winning a trophy or enjoying qualifying for the CL? I'd suggest anybody who fell into the latter category to be mug. 

Depends on who wins it, but I'd safely say they'll be celebrating both.