3-5-2

Nepharite

Guest Haris Vuckic

Playing 3 in defence with wing backs has always fascinated me. I love the idea of it but it all hinges on the wing backs - any width depends solely on them. They have to be near-perfect.

Will we play it? No. The King doesn't appreciate new ideas that aren't from the 1980s.

3-5-2 of course, most famously used in the 1980s by Carlos Bilardo's Argentina....

Well not new as in 'brand new' but formations are cyclical and this one seems to be coming back - as seen at the World Cup. What I meant is that it's a bit too continental, a bit too 'out of the box' for Pardew. It's a non-starter, anyway.

Well he's used it twice (to my memory) at Newcastle and it's failed both times. Once we got lashed - the other narrowly beaten by a fluke but I don't think it's something we'll be revisiting too often.

I forgotten who he was talking about but Gary Neville was absolutely slating someone for using a 3-5-2 casually - i.e it's not just something you turn up and play. It's a system you practice for weeks. I think we could fashion wingbacks out of Anita/Haidara like. (Haven't seen much of Janmaat & Santon bombs forward anyway) I don't think it suits our centre halves though - Stevie Taylor gets confused when he looks in the mirror. .

You still see it a lot in serie a  - most obviously Juventus (3-5-1-1-) & Inter (3-5-1-1-) but I think their players are a bit more suited.

Fwiw, we played 3-5-2 under Sir Bobby at Middlesbrough once and played really well at it and beat them easy, not a gauge to measure it with like :lol:

Aye - we played 3-5-2 in that game against Leicester - the 4-3 where Shearer scored a hat trick in 11 minutes to win it.

I can't remember the Boro score strangely.

Guest bimpy474

We tried this away at Stoke under Pardew (Sol Campbell brought in to help combat their 'strenf and fret') and got walloped 4-0. :lol:

What would start off as a 3-5-2 would also probably turn into a 6-3-1 anarl. It just gives him the excuse to be even more negative.

I think that game was the trigger for people to see how scared of oppositions he actually is. We switched to that because of a long throw ffs :lol:

Guest bimpy474

Playing 3 in defence with wing backs has always fascinated me. I love the idea of it but it all hinges on the wing backs - any width depends solely on them. They have to be near-perfect.

Will we play it? No. The King doesn't appreciate new ideas that aren't from the 1980s.

3-5-2 of course, most famously used in the 1980s by Carlos Bilardo's Argentina....

Well not new as in 'brand new' but formations are cyclical and this one seems to be coming back - as seen at the World Cup. What I meant is that it's a bit too continental, a bit too 'out of the box' for Pardew. It's a non-starter, anyway.

Well he's used it twice (to my memory) at Newcastle and it's failed both times. Once we got lashed - the other narrowly beaten by a fluke but I don't think it's something we'll be revisiting too often.

I forgotten who he was talking about but Gary Neville was absolutely slating someone for using a 3-5-2 casually - i.e it's not just something you turn up and play. It's a system you practice for weeks. I think we could fashion wingbacks out of Anita/Haidara like. (Haven't seen much of Janmaat & Santon bombs forward anyway) I don't think it suits our centre halves though - Stevie Taylor gets confused when he looks in the mirror. .

You still see it a lot in serie a  - most obviously Juventus (3-5-1-1-) & Inter (3-5-1-1-) but I think their players are a bit more suited.

Fwiw, we played 3-5-2 under Sir Bobby at Middlesbrough once and played really well at it and beat them easy, not a gauge to measure it with like :lol:

Aye - we played 3-5-2 in that game against Leicester - the 4-3 where Shearer scored a hat trick in 11 minutes to win it.

I can't remember the Boro score strangely.

Me neither, what i do remember was both the wider CB's pushed up the wings, Lauren Charvet down the right i remember mostly. I was thinking wtf, that's one of the 3 CB's up there :lol:

Guest bimpy474

When we've played 3-5-2 recently it's been to negate the threat of our opponents, if you play the formation in a positive manner it can work really well.

:pardsgrin:  :yao:

Guest Haris Vuckic

Me neither, what i do remember was both the wider CB's pushed up the wings, Lauren Charvet down the right i remember mostly. I was thinking wtf, that's one of the 3 CB's up there :lol:

He used 3-5-2 with England too. :thup:

Charvet was a funny player, looked like a yokel.

When we've played 3-5-2 recently it's been to negate the threat of our opponents, if you play the formation in a positive manner it can work really well.

:pardsgrin:  :yao:

Well yeah that's the problem.

Guest bimpy474

I seem to remember the last time we tried this, Steven Taylor was the CB who was carrying the ball out of defence. No wonder it didn't fucking work.

Two ways of looking at this, there's the sweeper in the middle comfortable on the ball bringing it out, or imo the better way is to have the better defender in the middle and have the two better ball players as the outer CB's, and play out wider through them.

Either way Saylor shouldn't be involved.

Everyone happy with the 4-2-3-1 then?

It's more the manager, than any formation. With a different manager I would go with a 4-2-3-1 though, aye.

I hate that formation too, mind. Negative and narrow.

It's the kind of setup that has you scraping 1-0 wins away from home but failing to excite in front of your own supporters.

Guest firetotheworks

It's more the manager, than any formation. With a different manager I would go with a 4-2-3-1 though, aye.

It's the kind of setup that has you scraping 1-0 wins away from home but failing to excite in front of your own supporters.

I just like how easily it becomes a 4-3-3/it pretty much is just 4-3-3 really.

willo and colo marking, mbiwa in the free role for obvious reasons

janmaat and haidara the wing backs

anita the fulcrum

take your pick after that

it could work if done properly

Exactly how I'd set up too. Think it could really work if we signed a quality striker.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I think it's closer to a 4-5-1. Especially out of possession..

It wouldn't work would it though?

Both Cabella and possibly De Jong would be wasted.

3 at the back with our defence? we already have Garbage centre halfs having 3 of them on the field at once is a terrible idea.

Guest firetotheworks

Well that's the thing, it's just somewhere in the middle of a 4-5-1 and a 4-3-3. It's versatile and I like that about it when it's used by a team that use it to attack as well.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Well that's the thing, it's just somewhere in the middle of a 4-5-1 and a 4-3-3. It's versatile and I like that about it when it's used by a team that use it to attack as well.

We've looked good playing it at times, rarely like, I'm more of a fan of a  regular 4-3-3 or - a 4-4-2* but I suppose it depends on your team and who you're playing obviously. I think it'll look a bit better next year with the new lads anyway.

Alex Ferguson's 4231 looked absolutely class at times but that might have had a lot to do with the players involved, Ronaldo, Rooney, Non Golfing Tevez et al.

*which made an awesome comeback last year imho

Guest bimpy474

Which is why Pardew uses it, unless he gets a whack on the head we have no chance of things changing.

Guest firetotheworks

The Duff Drogba Robben version of it is still the most devastating version of it that I've ever seen (in the league), it was brilliant to watch. I like 4-4-2 a lot but out and out wingers don't seem like they're around anymore, which is a shame. Pardew also made me hate 4-4-2 (along with a lot of other things) in 12/13

Guest bimpy474

The Duff Drogba Robben version of it is still the most devastating version of it that I've ever seen, it was brilliant to watch. I like 4-4-2 a lot but out and out wingers don't seem like they're around anymore, which is a shame. Pardew also made me hate 4-4-2 (along with a lot of other things) in 12/13

I think someone else said it earlier, it's not really what formation we line up in, it's Pardew's tactics within it. He just ruins whatever attacking prowess any certain formation may give you by sticking square pegs in round holes, or being so defensive it nullifies our attacking players.

Guest firetotheworks

Pardew also made me hate 4-4-2 (along with a lot of other things) in 12/13

he's brought me very, very close to hating football tbh

Without a doubt. The World Cup pretty much saved my love for football tbh.

"Systems are for school-teachers in professional football. What I am big on is great players working their socks off. The game happens at such pace that it's all about intuition; if you have that you do not need much more."

Guess who?