Classic Newcastle Teams Face-Off - who wins?

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keegan's, easily. Back then, on our day, we could beat any team in the world.

Robson's team was class, that's not being ignored. But Keegan's team just got better and better with each goal.

This is based on the presumption both teams would be playing at their best.

No way it is an easy victory.  As others have said, the Premiership in 2002-05 was a better league than the one in 95/96.

Robson's team was class, that's not being ignored. But Keegan's team just got better and better with each goal.

If you presume Laurent Robert was playing at his best, there's two goals straight away from absolutely nothing!  ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/northeast/series5/i/beardsley200.jpg

Hello Dad.

Guest firetotheworks

If you presume Laurent Robert was playing at his best, there's two goals straight away from absolutely nothing!  ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/northeast/series5/i/beardsley200.jpg

Hello Dad.

Hiya Interpolic.

It should be the managers own teams they built (so a season or two into the reign) rather than the team they inherited.

E.g. Souness would be Emre / Parker (as opposed to Robert and Bellamy in the team)

Dalglish would be Serrant and Des Hamilton and Barnes as opposed to Ginola and Ferdinand

etc etc

Look at the years.

Only Keegan's team beat Man Utd 5-0, who at the time were head and shoulders (alongside us) ahead of the league. I'd say that the Man Utd of Robson's era were weaker and we weren't as competitive against them. Good yardstick imo, but that aside, the calibre of player we had in 95/96 were a cut above.

By the same token though, clubs like Arsenal & Chelsea were far stronger early 2000s than they were mid 90s so the league had more competition.

Keegan's team obviously and comfortably.

Yep. Bobby's side had a brilliant CM, Laurent Robert and a superbly balanced strikeforce, but Keegan's side cut through far better defences like butter. It'd be ugly.

Keegan's team was unstoppable. You had goals flying in from everyone. From the back, you had Steven Watson grabbing winners, you had Albert scoring screamers. Then in midfield, Ginola, Rob Lee, Beardsley, and Gillespie were always providing outlet to Ferdinand up front. You knew you would get a goal from somewhere.

Guest firetotheworks

I know it's a total, total cliche but I was thinking about this yesterday and just how much Albert's goal epitomised exactly what that team was.

Your centre back lobbing the best keeper in the world from 30 yards to make it 5-0 ffs. :lol: At the time it seemed special, because of the occassion and it being a fantastic goal, but it's only in hindsight that you start to think about the connotations of it being a Keegan centre back, against Schmeichel and everything that that told you about what that team was.

Guest Howaythetoon

KK's side would beat Sir Bobby's comfortably in my opinion, NUFC never really got hammered under KK or lost silly matches yet Sir Bobby's side were vulnerable to a heavy defeat or a stupid defeat now and then. KK's side was fluent and all empowering where as Sir Bobby's relied on pace, energy and one or more of his better players performing to the best of their ability.

If Robert wasn't in the mood or Nobby was off his game for example we would regularly have to scruff a win through Shearer. Bobby's side was like a top four contender whereas KK's was a title contender, and that is a huge difference. It's like the difference between Europa or CL.

Sir Bobby achieved more with his squad though IMO, to get that squad challenging for the title at one point, albeit in a small way, was sensational. KK's side was arguably the best in the division, Sir Bobby's was not.

Happy days regardless.

Guest firetotheworks

I was at the NUFC exhibition today at The Discovery Museum and they had a hat with 'Return of the King' hat that was given out at a match (probably Stoke at home?) which was sponsored by Adidas.

Underneath it, there was a description with 1992 at the end and immediately I knew it was wrong, obviously because we were with Umbro in '92 and Adidas in '08 when he returned. I thought to myself, something along the lines of how it was daft to get something like that wrong when football fans that would go to something like that are generally really knowledgeable about their own club. No later had I finished thinking that, but Tiote's goal against Arsenal came up on the screen and some bloke piped up all matter-of-fact trying to impress whoever he was with, with "That was the third goal"

I just gave him a look, shook my head and walked away. I hope you enjoyed my mint story.

I was at the NUFC exhibition today at The Discovery Museum and they had a hat with 'Return of the King' hat that was given out at a match (probably Stoke at home?) which was sponsored by Adidas.

Underneath it, there was a description with 1992 at the end and immediately I knew it was wrong, obviously because we were with Umbro in '92 and Adidas in '08 when he returned. I thought to myself, something along the lines of how it was daft to get something like that wrong when football fans that would go to something like that are generally really knowledgeable about their own club.

Thought the exact same thing about that hat :lol: Had a look at it from the side of the case and it said copyright 2006 on the side.

Underneath it, there was a description with 1992 at the end and immediately I knew it was wrong, obviously because we were with Umbro in '92 and Adidas in '08 when he returned. I thought to myself, something along the lines of how it was daft to get something like that wrong when football fans that would go to something like that are generally really knowledgeable about their own club. No later had I finished thinking that, but Tiote's goal against Arsenal came up on the screen and some bloke piped up all matter-of-fact trying to impress whoever he was with, with "That was the third goal"

I just gave him a look, shook my head and walked away. I hope you enjoyed my mint story.

The hat was from the Bolton match. Cheers though, didn't know about exhibition.

Guest firetotheworks

It's pretty average tbh. If you go, you'll probably get more joy from the football bit upstairs that's permanently there.