Classic Newcastle Teams Face-Off - who wins?

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ok the idea is simple, a chance to reminisce over some old teams good and bad, with a poll vote on which team would actually win were they to play each other.

So to start with two popular managers and seasons, Keegan's 95 and Robson's 2003.

Just to clarify, it is a question of who wins, not who your favourite was.

Poll 1 - Keegan's 1995 NUFC 54 - 16 Robson's 2003 NUFC

I know I voted Keegan's also, but would it really be that overwhelming? Bobby was no mug and might have had something lined up. Woodgate in defence, Robert and Solano, Speed, Shearer, Bellamy. Doesn't seen so clear cut to me?

I think it would go something like this.

Solano '13 (free kick)

Albert 18 (header)

Ferdinand '36

Shearer (P) '41

HT

Robert '67 (25 yarder)

Ferdinand '84

Bellamy sent off '86

Speed '90 (corner, last minute header)

4-3 Robson

Both managers hug at full time on the pitch

I think that the Premier League improved vastly from 1995 to 2003 (and even more to now) in terms of calibre, hence the team that was good enough to finish 4th in 2003 probably would have won it in 1995. Whereas the '95 team, awesome as it was at the time, probably wouldn't have been 12 points clear in 2003.

This is based on absolutely no substance whatsoever! And is probably the most pointless post ever.

I know I voted Keegan's also, but would it really be that overwhelming? Bobby was no mug and might have had something lined up. Woodgate in defence, Robert and Solano, Speed, Shearer, Bellamy. Doesn't seen so clear cut to me?

What I think too. I feel like Robson couldn't match the motivational skills of Keegan but would have been better prepared and able to organize the team to exploit weaknesses. 0-1 to Robson's side, Bellamy(59') scoring on the break (Robert assist).

Guest firetotheworks

93-96 Keegan team on its day would beat most teams since, not just any of ours.

It's easy to forget how brilliant we were in 94/95 but you could argue that without Cole going awol and then us selling him that we could have put up just as good a challenge that year. Even without Beardsley at the start we were incredible.

I need teh squad list. I recall the Souness team that got to the QF's largely being Bobby's side with Bellamy in good soring form for half a year, Dyer & Jenas putting in performances every now and then. Paddy K being class a few times.

Time eventually showed at NUFC Jenas, Dyer & co. >  Barton, Smith & co.

It should be the managers own teams they built (so a season or two into the reign) rather than the team they inherited.

E.g. Souness would be Emre / Parker (as opposed to Robert and Bellamy in the team)

Dalglish would be Serrant and Des Hamilton and Barnes as opposed to Ginola and Ferdinand

etc etc

Only Keegan's team beat Man Utd 5-0, who at the time were head and shoulders (alongside us) ahead of the league. I'd say that the Man Utd of Robson's era were weaker and we weren't as competitive against them. Good yardstick imo, but that aside, the calibre of player we had in 95/96 were a cut above.

Keegan's, easily. Back then, on our day, we could beat any team in the world.

Robson's team was class, that's not being ignored. But Keegan's team just got better and better with each goal.

This is based on the presumption both teams would be playing at their best.

If you presume Laurent Robert was playing at his best, there's two goals straight away from absolutely nothing!  ;D

Guest firetotheworks

Keegan's, easily. Back then, on our day, we could beat any team in the world.

Robson's team was class, that's not being ignored. But Keegan's team just got better and better with each goal.

This is based on the presumption both teams would be playing at their best.

If you presume Laurent Robert was playing at his best, there's two goals straight away from absolutely nothing!  ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/northeast/series5/i/beardsley200.jpg