Crystal Palace manager

Mick

Ashley would probably see a year or two in the championship as a good thing. Gets to promote SD to another 20+ clubs and their fans we would make good viewing on the TV as before.  His SD brand will benefit much more than the 50/60M loss NUFC would suffer.

There is no sane reason he would keep him at NUFC for footballing reasons or any sane reasons for keeping him at NUFC for business reasons. Aside the compensation debate, there really is no reason what so ever not to pull the trigger. Pay the idiot off and say goodbye before it is too late.  No manager of any notable standing (even if we bothered trying to get them) is going to want to come in under Ashley's business model with us stuck on 3 points after 10 games!!

Guest Roger Kint

Ashley would probably see a year or two in the championship as a good thing.

Not read the rest but thats as far from the truth as you can get tbh

Ashley would probably see a year or two in the championship as a good thing. Gets to promote SD to another 20+ clubs and their fans we would make good viewing on the TV as before.  His SD brand will benefit much more than the 50/60M loss NUFC would suffer.

I disagree.  He's trying to expand SD abroad and needs the worldwide coverage of the PL to help him do it. 

Not necessarily when you consider the number of fans who (probably rightly) think Ashley does not give a fuck about NUFC. He has said or done very little to prove otherwise.

Financially, maybe nothing we do really matters to Ashley. Maybe even going down isn't that expensive to a guy with his immense wealth. He could easily make us fairly successful and it wouldn't effect his wealth or lifestyle in the slightest. It's impossible for me to image what his motives are in any of this now.

He'll will run us how he wants, maybe we'll go down. It might be it doesn't matter to him either way.

Seems either the thickest billionaire ever, the most stubborn ever or just the oddest oddball we could have had the misfortune to land up with.

He's shy to spend a few million over what the club makes but isnt bothered about losing £70m per year? ???  Course he would man, he loathes losing money and I think that's part of the problem.  He won't want to pay full compensation, if he thinks he can wait Pardew out to save some or all of it and still have enough games left to turn things around he'll risk it.  We know he's a gambler, the only question here is how far will he go.  When does he realise its to late?, 30 games left?, 25?.

I disagree.  He's trying to expand SD abroad and needs the worldwide coverage of the PL to help him do it. 

In which case I am wrong and actually a relegation fight is better press than a comfortable mid season, win some loose some approach.  I guess the tat we see on show on a weekly basis is an accurate reflection of the piles of tat for sale in his shops..

Guest Roger Kint

Not necessarily when you consider the number of fans who (probably rightly) think Ashley does not give a fuck about NUFC. He has said or done very little to prove otherwise.

What people think about Ashleys motives are completely irrellevant. Fact is to say he would happily lose over £100m in TV money and god knows what in crowd loss, player upheaval and more importantly the huge loss in SD exposure is quite frankly absurd

Remember the coverage our relegation got? I'm starting to think he'd absolutely love it.

You recon the extra coverage is worth £70m?  Expensive ad campaign that.

Depends if at that point he just cuts his losses and does one.

What people think about Ashleys motives are completely irrellevant. Fact is to say he would happily lose over £100m in TV money and god knows what in crowd loss, player upheaval and more importantly the huge loss in SD exposure is quite frankly absurd

I agree what I have said is unlikely or indeed true just seems one of many possible explanations as to the terrible situation we find our club in.  As you say, the debate is pretty irrelevant really as no one will ever know.

He's taking the mickey out of us, man, as if that wasn't already glaringly obvious.

Aye but this time he's put it right out there in the press with i'll sack him after Stoke/Tuesday Comments at the weekend.

It's plain and simple for everybody to see, so hopefully even more will start to turn against the current owner and his rabble.

Worth remembering when talking about relegation that its not just the loss in TV money.  Obviously we'd lose £70-80m and for two seasons parachute payments would cover £15 to £20m(?) of that.  But you then have Football league financial fair play, which will fine you £1 for every £1 you lose.  We'll obviously be in the red both seasons by £15-£20m, meaning even if we do come back up we then have a £30-£40m fine to pay.

Ashley doesn't care about external pressure. What people think of Pardew won't matter a jot to him. If it did, Pardew would be gone now. Ashley must really think that Pardew can turn this around, and the people advising Ashley on the matter must think the same.

Worth remembering when talking about relegation that its not just the loss in TV money.  Obviously we'd lose £70-80m and for two seasons parachute payments would cover £15 to £20m(?) of that.  But you then have Football league financial fair play, which will fine you £1 for every £1 you lose.  We'll obviously be in the red both seasons by £15-£20m, meaning even if we do come back up we then have a £30-£40m fine to pay.

I would happily drop out of this league if it meant we would be rid of both Pardew and Ashley and could regain just a little bit of pride

We had a good core of players the last time we were relegated. Along with the right manager at the right time, we made promotion look easy. I'm not so sure this time.

I absolutely don't want this club to go down.

Ashley wouldn't drop his asking price by much, we'd still be a very expensive club to buy even I'm the Championship. So likelihood would be we were stuck with him. Much better chance of him finding a buyer in the Prem, a buyer who wants to get the club into the CL and make money that way.

Remember the coverage our relegation got? I'm starting to think he'd absolutely love it.

You recon the extra coverage is worth £70m?  Expensive ad campaign that.

Depends if at that point he just cuts his losses and does one.

It doesn't, he can leave anytime he wants, he'd find a buyer now if he sold at the right price and right now that price would be much higher then he'd get after relegation.  He'd also be making much more money in the meantime from Premier League TV revenue.  The only question that matters here is would losing £70m plus by being relegated somehow earn him much more than that through some kind of weird advertising ploy as you suggested.  Think the answer is obviously a big no.

We had a good core of players the last time we were relegated. Along with the right manager at the right time, we made promotion look easy. I'm not so sure this time.

I absolutely don't want this club to go down.

Ashley wouldn't drop his asking price by much, we'd still be a very expensive club to buy even I'm the Championship. So likelihood would be we were stuck with him. Much better chance of him finding a buyer in the Prem, a buyer who wants to get the club into the CL and make money that way.

Have to agree, I don't see how relegation this time has any positives. Except maybe Pardew going obviously.