North Shields win FA Vase

Crumpy Gunt

Hatem Ben Arfa is on his way to see North Shields today.

Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat, Please don't be fat.

Hatem Ben Arfa is on his way to see North Shields today.

Is that legit?  :lol:

Aye, saw him walking in the car park towards the stadium, he was with a few fans.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/3049912/bullshit-karl-o.gif

Probably giggs but didn't realise Graham Fenton was their manager?

I'm on a coach with managers and coach's you have links to various coach's, players, and clubs locally, including Carver as it happens.

Anyway the rumour is that Gateshead are after Fenton to be their manager.

Probably giggs but didn't realise Graham Fenton was their manager?

I'm on a coach with managers and coach's you have links to various coach's, players, and clubs locally, including Carver as it happens.

Anyway the rumour is that Gateshead are after Fenton to be their manager.

Rather confused by that first sentence 👍

Fantastic day from start to finish. 5am start home for 1am. The Torch taken by Shields fans. Banter was good with not a hint of bother. Beer shit - £4.50 for weak lager served in a plastic glass! Where's the offy?

Match flew by in bright sunshine and fair result in my view. Denvers run for Shields second was moment of the match...nay, the day! Wonderful delivery!

For those gave up on NUFC get yourself along and watch YOUR local team. Shields have definitely benefitted.

Roll on next season!

Far better than the vast majority of NUFC aways I've been to. Yesterday was the best laugh I've had in years from start to finish.

Erith, Highworth and Wembley yesterday will def be 3 of my top 10 away days. Fantastic.

Good match  - a lot better than lower league football used to be - no Route 1 at all

Good turn out at the "Globe" opposite Baker St. Tube beforehand - loads of flags and banners

Shields had about 6000 spectators, Glossop around 3500 all on the  N side lower tier

New Wembley  is better than the old pile - much better sight lines and seats but the choice of beer (Carlsberg or Tetleys) is grim - plus for some reason the men's bog at the east end  looked like a converted Ladies (ie mainly sitting) with a vast queue at half time

Glossop played something like 4-1-3-2 and Shields 4-4-2

Main difference from the upper leagues was the way players never held the ball at all, and when they'd passed it they stopped; very little choice for the man in possesion

First half was pretty cagey - Glossop looked slightly the bettter side but neither keeper had a lot to do

Second half they scored from a corner after SHields had looked pretty good - started to get a bit desperate but by 75 minutes the Glossop guys were tiring badly - so were some of the Shields team but they were fitter overall and got a deserved equaliser late.  By the time we were in extra time people were out with cramp all over the field - it always used to happen in FA Cup Finals in the 50's & 60's - unfit players, very grassy pitch after a season of playing on mud-heaps.  At one point Shields had 5 guys streched out and Glossop three

Shields got a really well worked early goal and after that it was just a matter of hanging on

Really good day out, lots of singing (and a minutes applause at 17 minutes observed by both sets of supporters) - the fittest team won

Good match  - a lot better than lower league football used to be - no Route 1 at all

Good turn out at the "Globe" opposite Baker St. Tube beforehand - loads of flags and banners

Shields had about 6000 spectators, Glossop around 3500 all on the  N side lower tier

New Wembley  is better than the old pile - much better sight lines and seats but the choice of beer (Carlsberg or Tetleys) is grim - plus for some reason the men's bog at the east end  looked like a converted Ladies (ie mainly sitting) with a vast queue at half time

Main difference from the upper leagues was the way players never held the ball at all, and when they'd passed it they stopped; very little choice for the man in possesion

First half was pretty cagey - Glossop looked slightly the bettter side but neither keeper had a lot to do

Second half they scored from a corner after SHields had looked pretty good - started to get a bit desperate but by 75 minutes the Glossop guys were tiring badly - so were some of the Shields team but they were fitter overall and got a deserved equaliser late.  By the time we were in extra time people were out with cramp all over the field - it always used to happen in FA Cup Finals in the 50's & 60's - unfit players, very grassy pitch after a season of playing on mud-heaps.  At one point Shields had 5 guys streched out and Glossop three

Shields got a really well worked early goal and after that it was just a matter of hanging on

Really good day out, lots of singing (and a minutes applause at 17 minutes observed by both sets of supporters) - the fittest team won

Good assessment. Fenton has them fit indeed. A fair few games are won in the second half as the opposition lags. And he rarely encourages long ball and its pretty much played out from the back routinely.

I disagree there was no route one like but like you say there was a lack of movement off the ball so sometimes it just needed to be hoofed.

I was really impressed with the technique yesterday in terms of control, passing, etc and for a while I was struggling to spot the difference versus top-level players.  I think the difference is (and it's clearly an important difference) decision-making in the final third.  The final ball was never quite there but all of the other stuff, in other words the basics, weren't far off what I'm used to seeing.  Also there's the fact that Premier League footballers are stronger and bigger and fitter, but that's honestly the end of it IMO.

It was a class day yesterday.....the team arrived back at 5pm to The Morgue and by 6pm were at the Spring Gardens pub which was absolutely chokka.

Everyone got a pic with the trophy / favourite player etc. I'll up some pics later if I can.

An absolutely brilliant weekend.

Shit...its Monday morning and all over (bar the open top parade)