England: Thomas Tuchel signs 18 month contract with England from Jan 1 2025 (Official)

Nobody

1 minute ago, UncleBingo said:

Killer blow? Pipe down you daft cunt. 🤣

I just wanted to know where tou draw the line with your England for the English policy?

You're craic's proper shite man :lol:

Like talking to a brainrotted twitter addict. Pointless, in a bit x

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

So how far do you take it? Is anyone at the FA allowed to be non-English?

Shouldn't Lee Carlsley have been a big no-no seeing as he is 'Irish' according to who he played for? 

Fwiw, I don't particularly care about this debate tbh, I see where you are coming from and kind of agree with you. 

I'm happy for the eligibility criteria to extend as far as the head coach/manager and not necessarily beyond. I think he's a crucial figure, moreso than the tea lady.

I see your point about emerging nations, not so much Sweden and Ireland in 2024 but African nations have certainly benefited from outside coaching over the years. Nations like England should be self-enforcing it imo, I just think it's a bit embarrassing to have to go searching abroad. FWIW I've thought the same when other countries have cynically used citizenship rules to acquire players who clearly shouldn't qualify (Diego Costa for Spain off the top of my head).

Your point about Carsley is a good one actually, may have ruled himself out under my rules. I actually think the reason he didn't take the Ireland job was because he thought he'd get the England gig.

36 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Righto. I mean what exactly is the point of international football if you’re just going to mix people from different countries?

Grealish and Rice represented the republic. Many of the current team have parents who were born abroad and could have represented other nations and got us to two finals in recent years. If Tuchel is committed to the cause not sure why he should be ruled out. 

3 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I'm happy for the eligibility criteria to extend as far as the head coach/manager and not necessarily beyond. I think he's a crucial figure, moreso than the tea lady.

I see your point about emerging nations, not so much Sweden and Ireland in 2024 but African nations have certainly benefited from outside coaching over the years. Nations like England should be self-enforcing it imo, I just think it's a bit embarrassing to have to go searching abroad. FWIW I've thought the same when other countries have cynically used citizenship rules to acquire players who clearly shouldn't qualify (Diego Costa for Spain off the top of my head).

Your point about Carsley is a good one actually, may have ruled himself out under my rules. I actually think the reason he didn't take the Ireland job was because he thought he'd get the England gig.

Agree with pretty much all of that Tbf. But even Sweden had Danish manager at the moment, and I don't see a lot of people having any problems with that.

When it comes to England, I posted my opinion on it previously. Think we should do our best to have an English manager, but if the option ends up being Steve Bruce or Thomas Tuchel, it's hard to argue the FA didn't make the right choice. 

5 minutes ago, SAK said:

Grealish and Rice represented the republic. Many of the current team have parents who were born abroad and could have represented other nations and got us to two finals in recent years. If Tuchel is committed to the cause not sure why he should be ruled out. 

Nobody's disputing the broad eligibility criteria for players to qualify, I think it's generally a good thing that has raised the standard across the board internationally. That's not what has happened here (unless Tuchel's mam hails from Wigan and I've missed it) so I don't know why it's even being mentioned.

I find the ego and pride displayed here baffling in relation to a foreigner managing England. We haven’t won shit at international level for decades. The closest we’ve been is with Southgate twice in recent years and he got it wrong both times. 

If we had a track record of excellent England managers who had won major tournaments I could sympathise with the viewpoint but we haven’t.

1 minute ago, SAK said:

I find the ego and pride displayed here baffling in relation to a foreigner managing England. We haven’t won shit at international level for decades. The closest we’ve been is with Southgate twice in recent years and he got it wrong both times. 

If we had a track record of excellent England managers who had won major tournaments I could sympathise with the viewpoint but we haven’t.

The argument is more that International Football should be about country vs country and that includes the manager though, it's got nothing to do with arrogance. From what I gather, the likes of Wullie would rather keep not winning owt than World Cups being ruined by players and managers not coming from their supposed countries. 

3 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Nobody's disputing the broad eligibility criteria for players to qualify, I think it's generally a good thing that has raised the standard across the board internationally. That's not what has happened here (unless Tuchel's mam hails from Wigan and I've missed it) so I don't know why it's even being mentioned.

It’s mentioned because some in this country don’t consider those players english see national press reaction and online racism after we lost, in particular the first euro final. 

2 hours ago, George Bailey said:

My god the British (English) media are fucking rancid. 
ITV news banging on about a section of England fans being unhappy with the appointment as “you’re not English” and “will he sing the national anthem”

Fucking rancid, utterly rancid.

Who the fuck cares if he sings that turgid, dire reverential shite!

Hes a good manager paid to do a job

Pandering to the lowest denominator and knuckle dragging Neanderthals as usual

Stirring up shite and they are loving it. Bet they have cameras a plenty pointed at him on his first game with morons like carragher and Neville bemoaning his non English status.

Fucking sickening 

I’m English and would sooner be deaf and mute than sing that utter fucking shit.

Fucking hate people that try and force that utter shite on everyone. Actually makes me hate it and the national team even more. 

Edited by Danh1

Re players not being foreigners.

People like Declan Rice make a mockery of it. Playing for Ireland until he realised he might actually be decent enough to not have to rely on his Nana’s Irish roots. 

He should have been told he is playing for Ireland or no one at international level. 

Appreciate this isn’t really relevant but wanted to raise it as a point. 

1 hour ago, UncleBingo said:

Killer blow? Pipe down you daft cunt. 🤣

I just wanted to know where tou draw the line with your England for the English policy?

Would you draw it at Kai Havertz starting up front for England? Or does it only become risible and xenophobic at the exact point that it's not a player we're talking about?

1 hour ago, SAK said:

It’s mentioned because some in this country don’t consider those players english see national press reaction and online racism after we lost, in particular the first euro final. 

Tuchel is factually not English by any definition though so what's your point? 

Until we start producing managers - which is going to require a total change in the way we view and approach the game from grassroots level up - we’re simply not in a position to question the appointment of a proven foreign coach. We are woefully short in that area to an embarrassing degree, have been for as long as I’ve followed the game, and if this is another reminder of that I’m even more in favour of TT’s appointment.

I love Eddie for what he’s done here and I hope he can take us to the next level but when he’s generally recognised as the best English coach by a distance something is drastically amiss. 

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Until we start producing managers - which is going to require a total change in the way we view and approach the game from grassroots level up - we’re simply not in a position to question the appointment of a proven foreign coach. We are woefully short in that area to an embarrassing degree, have been for as long as I’ve followed the game, and if this is another reminder of that I’m even more in favour of TT’s appointment.

I love Eddie for what he’s done here and I hope he can take us to the next level but when he’s generally recognised as the best English coach by a distance something is drastically amiss. 

Your final paragraph is interesting, I take it you don't think Eddie can take us to the top? If all things were equal (obviously they aren't). 

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Your final paragraph is interesting, I take it you don't think Eddie can take us to the top? If all things were equal (obviously they aren't). 

I’m not sure. I’m very happy he’s ours. To condense it to a sentence I think he has great strengths and blatant weaknesses. 

The key thing being missed in all of this with the whole "duuuh it's xenophobia" craic is that it isn't even necessarily an issue of nationality, it's about how it reflects on the value of our institutions, football culture and the quality of our coaching infrastructure and pipeline.

Anyone who's growing up in that in England is English, but really it's irrelevant and frankly the only embarrassing thing there is that I feel it needs to be said as a qualifier.

To give a few examples to make the point clearer: Lennox Lewis moved from the UK to Canada at 12 and had his boxing education outside of the UK. His success has nothing to do with anything he learned here. Likewise for different reasons Owen Hargreaves, Greg Rusedski, Kevin Pietersen, to a large extent professionally, Graham Potter.

Conversely, when footballers who've grown up in England choose to play for Ireland no one has any difficulty in seeing how that upbringing in England's football infrastructure has played a part in benefitting them and Ireland.

It's a shocking indictment of our system that we can't produce (or haven’t the confidence to choose) a manager to replace Southgate, someone who was apparently shit but ironically having come through that very system is comfortably the most successful England manager in my lifetime.

Forget birthplace, parents and all that, Tuchel is by those metrics German, but him being a product of Germany and not England is what matters much more imo.

Edited by Kid Icarus

The same gammons horrified at Tuchels appointment would be the same ones bedside themselves with grief at our German queen's passing, or say they'd readily fight for our German king. 

Idiots.