England

Yorkie

Guest Howaythetoon

I think English football owe a little thank you to Pep and Klopp, imo.

Aye, no doubt. Southgate is more from their school of thinking than Big Sam thankfully in that regard.

Guest Howaythetoon

Kane motm? What?

For much of the game, he looked slow and clumsy. There's no obvious alternative though.

Fingers crossed, Barkley seems to have come of age in an England shirt.

He’s a good player, but not the answer. I don’t think he’s a good fit for this team. Delph isn’t as talented, but had a better game and seems more of a fit. Barkley can play the simple passes and has the skill when on the ball, but he’s someone that likes to hold onto the ball, take a risk and run with it. I don’t think we need that and he’s not exceptional with the ball at his feet or at a certain aspect to justify a starting or starring role. I think if Oxlade-Chamberlain can get fit and return to form, he’s a much better option because he can do what Barkley can do better on he ball, but is more disciplined off it and less of a liability pressing. It’s not a bad problem to have though, I just think others can do what is asked of him just as well and that what he can offer, isn’t something that adds to the team and way of playing so much so he has to start. I’d rather pay Lllana for example or Lingard ahead of him. 

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT ffs :lol:

What?

Just the length of your posts on the last page :lol: Tbf 54 complimented the first one so keep doing what you're doing as long as people are still reading them

I post mainly to jot down my own thoughts for myself not for people to read word for word to engage in a debate or anything. Whoever does, err thanks, but bloody hell :lol:

Anyway England, great game, very good performance and lots to be positive about.

I wish more people (including myself) put as much effort in to supporting their teams as HTT does tbh, and I'm not just referencing a few posts on a messageboard.

HTT ffs :lol:

What?

Just the length of your posts on the last page :lol: Tbf 54 complimented the first one so keep doing what you're doing as long as people are still reading them

I post mainly to jot down my own thoughts for myself not for people to read word for word to engage in a debate or anything. Whoever does, err thanks, but bloody hell :lol:

Anyway England, great game, very good performance and lots to be positive about.

I always start with the idea to make posts like that, then remember that I'm wasting my life on the internet.

More on why Dele Alli should be converted to DM. I was watching Andy Townsend's One2Eleven and he had an interesting point about Roy Keane. He said in his early days with Forest and Man U, he was more of a gambling midfield player. I feel like Gerrard stayed a gambling midfielder his entire career and found it difficult to adapt later on. Unlike Gerrard, Keane adjusted his game and the team only benefited. There's no reason why Alli can't be an even better Busquets.

Busquets is arguably the best defensive midfielder in the last 10 or whatever years. I don't see how you can say Alli can become even better than Busquets in that position. He doesn;t look like he has anywhere near the discipline for it

Guest Howaythetoon

More on why Dele Alli should be converted to DM. I was watching Andy Townsend's One2Eleven and he had an interesting point about Roy Keane. He said in his early days with Forest and Man U, he was more of a gambling midfield player. I feel like Gerrard stayed a gambling midfielder his entire career and found it difficult to adapt later on. Unlike Gerrard, Keane adjusted his game and the team only benefited. There's no reason why Alli can't be an even better Busquets.

I rate Dele Ali highly, but I’m struggling to see where he would fit in this England team over others right now and whether it’s worth trying to fit him in there just because he is a good player.

Sometimes a player just doesn’t fit the system and the one thing I like about Southgate is the system isn’t designed around the players and their strengths and weaknesses or rather certain players, it’s they who have to fit the system.

And that makes the system more fluid because any number of players who might not be outstanding in this or that area or requires a specific role or position can come in and do a job because the system is seamless. We are seeing that with a lot of players selected by Southgate, be it in defence or in midfield.

That’s one of the reasons why I don’t think Lascelles or Shelvey are needed.

I feel a Dele Ali requires certain players in terms of type and role around for him to perform in the way he can or does for Spurs and again I don’t think as good as he is, he’s worth changing things for just to get that out of him. Not when I think Lingard can do all of what Delle Ali can do in terms of being a threat at goal or scoring, but can do the rest so that if he’s not being a threat or scoring, it’s not an issue.

Dele Ali can do what Lingard can do outside of the final third and inside the box of course, because he’s a good footballer, but doing so takes away from his game in such a way you weaken what he’s capable of which he will demonstrate better if played in a certain way and a certain system. That’s all good and well if we had an Eriksen or a Dembelle or both, but we don’t and therefore I’d rather select Lingard ahead of him right now who is a better fix and doesn’t require a certain type of player next to him or role or system to be a threat.

I guess it’s about what each player’s task is and what they are in the team for. Dele Ali is capable of scoring and creating a lot, but if it’s at the expense of others or the system just to get that from him, it’s not worth it, not when others can still be a threat and chip in as Lingard has done who I also rate highly.

There is only one player for England who is worth sticking with and who the system can be flexible around and that’s Sterling because he can play in the wings or in the hold or alongside a CF or on the shoulder of the last man, but that’s only because he has that quick feet, ability to play simple or intricate passes and moves, pace, energy and work rate and now discipline and tactical awareness.

Even if he’s not scoring or being a threat, he’s important and arguably England’s Key player.

He’s someone Southgate could easily give the freedom of say the final 3rd to in terms of deciding where to pop up, where to stick, where to move over, and what to do, because off the ball he isn’t a liability, he has discipline, is tactically aware and can get into a defensive position to help the shape of the team and that’s thanks to Pep.

If only he could finish, I say if only, he clearly can, but he needs to be ultra clinical and decisive and that requires an improvement in technique. Do that and he will be one of the best players in the world and someone who could rack up Messi/Ronaldo goal figures for City and become one of the top goal scorers of all-time for England.