England

Yorkie

Guest firetotheworks

England always go to s*** when they struggle to score in the first hour. Seen it for the last 30 years, nothing has changed.

Yet we still bring out a dvd to celebrate the easy route we got at the world cup that made people think we are good,Same with Roy before iceland whipped us this is the worst England squad i've seen

Hehehehehe get it up ye

England always go to shit when they struggle to score in the first hour. Seen it for the last 30 years, nothing has changed.

Yet we still bring out a dvd to celebrate the easy route we got at the world cup that made people think we are good,Same with Roy before iceland whipped us this is the worst England squad i've seen

Stop inhaling the fumes from your Astra

England always go to shit when they struggle to score in the first hour. Seen it for the last 30 years, nothing has changed.

How'd that work out for you?

Seriously, how long have you been watching England?

Around 1998

Guest Howaythetoon

Really enjoyable game and a deserved win. England play some delightful football, have a group of talented, diverse and capable players all likeable and in Southgate a manager who has instilled a team ethic and a way of playing that doesn’t rely on any one star or requires world-class players. The future is very bright and there are enough ingredients there to achieve something. Obviously winning something is the ultimate, but if we keep progressing and we can find a certain type of player in midfield we lack and Southgate can learn more tactically which he’s limited at right now, this England can win something.

We have players all over who have quick feet, technique and the strength, speed and power to combine that to good effect so we can play out from the back, keep the ball and move the opposition around and create chances and score goals. We also have players who can use their speed, power and strength to knock a ball past someone and run into space or to dribble or dance their way past a player. We can mix and match play.

I’ve not seen an England team keep the ball so well not just under pressure, but in all areas of the pitch without pressure and I’ve not seen an England team capable of being so dynamic off the ball and individually, on it collectively or with the ball at their feet. So many options, so many aspects to our game and so many points of danger for the opposition.

I’ve seen an England team with better players, but not as fluid and as attacking, nor as comfortable in possession from back to front, this team is very interchangeable too.

All we lack is experience and that winners mentality, but it will come and if they were to actually win something, I think this is a team that can keep winning or competing with others for honours.

In Southgate we have someone intelligent who has for once given England players who have always had the skills and technique a platform to express that outside of a rigid formation, system or tactics and combine all of that with things like speed, power and strength.

At times we played Premier League football and at other times European football. There is a nice balance there and it isn’t rigid or based on a certain tactic.

Rashford has the qualities to get the ball, play a quick pass and move into space, or shield it with his back to goal and play a simple pass, he also has the individual skills to get the ball, pull off a trick one v one, get past his man, and speed or power away. Or can run or power into a ball over the top. We have that in abundance in him, Sterling, Ali and others like Wellbeck for example as well.

The beauty of the system and way of playing Southgate has instilled is that anyone good with the ball his feet and able to play a simple pass and move game can come in and do a job so we don’t depend on any one player. Dier can come in or Delph and do the job Henderson does. In the past we’ve depended on a Gerrrar or a Beckham were they become essential.

For me that’s a good thing because if we can find someone who can do the job of a Henderson or a Dier, but has quick feet like Sterling or an eye for a pass like a Modric who can control a game, we will become so much better and we may need that because at certain times and moments where we will need more from whoever is on the ball to unlock a defence or drive the team forward or to slow the game down.

That’s what will separate us from the best and prove decisive in semis and finals, tactical acumen from the bench as well.

Things went right today and because of our play we could have been 3 goals up and the game done and dusted, when going 1-0 down though sometimes playing your normal game and keep doing what you have been doing, won’t work. Likewise 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go and hanging on could be helped with a change of tactic or a player to do a specific job.

Southgate will have to develop his own tactical game.

But hey, that’s for tomorrow, right now, I’m enjoying this England team, how we play, these players and see a bright future ahead. It’s been a constant progression and as long as there is lots more to come which there is and we carry on plugging any gaps or addressing any issues, even if they don’t come off, that’s all that we can ask really.

So far so good.

It’s been a long time since I’ve looked forward to an England game and actually wanted to watch them. The more I watch the more interested I become and the more I look forward to watching them again. The Nations Cup has helped that because I can’t be bothered with friendlies.

Today though it’s because of what Southgate and this group have done and how they play. I’m a fan once more and can safely say England have a good team and are good to watch.

Far more rewarding than domestic football and far more interesting than club football where my own club is concerned.

I was devastated when the WC ended, it wa like coming to the end of the Sopranos or Breaking Bad.

Glad they won but I haven't been properly invested in England's fortunes for years now.

Not being funny but if you weren't invested during the WC you likely never will.

Mike Ashley (and to a lesser extent the ridiculous amount of money involved) has killed my passion for all football.

I enjoy it, but i'm not passionate or emotional about it any more.

Guest Howaythetoon

I cheered our goals more and as loud as any NUFC goal this season and was captivated from start to finish, I even stuck around to watch the intereviews and post match reaction.

It was a great game to watch and evenly contested, a proper game. Croatia are a very good team, but this England team has so much potential and for once it’s not based on a generation of players or because of one or two individuals. It’s quite exciting and I’m drawn to it out of an interest to see how much more they can progress and now have an invested interest in a desire to see that happen which I believe they can.

Never felt like this with England since France 98.

Southgate is making a mockery with the job he is doing of Cappello’s CV or the riches Sven had to call on. And heaven forbid where we would be right now under Big Sam.

I’m not exaggerating, but he has transformed the way England plays and dragged our national team into the 21st century and because of how we play, we don’t now need world-class players who play for the biggest clubs or play every week because for once it’s about passing and moving, possession and allowing every player who has a degree of skill and ability to play for England which most at this level have, a platform to express that.

We have always had good players, and these players are good. Not the greatest in the world and we’ve had better, but its about how we play and a philosophy of playing.

It’s not built on individuals that would see Lampard play wide just to include him or the pace of an Owen or the crossing of a Beckham. Those two today in this team would not work, unless they altered their game drastically and even then, when it’s all about passing, moving, possession, anyone at this level can do it.

You want Kane fit and in the team of course, because he’s a good footballer and the best at what he does, but a Calum Wilson can do his job in general where you only miss a Kane in certain moments or at certain times.

I guess this England team is a good team with good players and because of the way we play and the philosophy now, we have far more flexibility and more options.

Southgate is creating a blueprint which for say Spain has allowed them to continue a revolving door system of teams and players and at club level Barca.

It’s a continuous system.

I’m a big critic of grassroots football and academies, but I think we are starting to see the fruits of that system and set up technically and I also think having managers like Klopp and Pep in our game is having an impact in a positive way.

Walker for example, a right-back, just the mere fact he attempted to play a through ball the likes of Modric have built their career on and are mostly capable of playing, is huge for me. A that he saw that pass and b he attempted it.

His game has improved so much under Pep as a footballer with the ball at his feet, same with Stomes and Sterling.

England are benefitting from that and although there is an arguament that someone like Delph shouldn’t be in the team because he isn’t a regular for his club, it’s clear just how much he has benefitted from the standard of coaching, level and tactics under Pep and again it’s to our benefit.

What I like about Southgate though is he will play the left back form Leicester or call up a striker from Bournemouth, not based so much on form or pressure from the media, but based on how they fit into the system and his philosophy.

He’s been brave and bold in that sense.

So, Leagues A, B, C and D will each have a mini four-team tournament next summer. Each tournament will comprise the four respective group winners from within each league. Then, the winners of each respective mini-tournament will qualify for Euro2020. In the event of a winner already having qualified for the Euros via the traditional qualifiers method, the spot will go to the next-best performing team in said League.

... do I have that right?

So, Leagues A, B, C and D will each have a mini four-team tournament next summer. Each tournament will comprise the four respective group winners from within each league. Then, the winners of each respective mini-tournament will qualify for Euro2020. In the event of a winner already having qualified for the Euros via the traditional qualifiers method, the spot will go to the next-best performing team in said League.

... do I have that right?

The four group A winners all go into semi-final format tournament to determine the winner of the competition. The winners of all groups are given a play off place to qualify for Euro 2020. If the group winner qualifies for Euro 2020 then the play off place goes to the next team in the group who have failed to qualify for Euro 2020. There is four Euro 2020 places up for grabs through the Nations League play offs.

Note, there is no longer any play off places up for grabs through the Euro 2020 qualifiers.