The other games today - 2015/16

Deuce

The handball law needs to be changed to "Did the player gain an advantage from the handball?". Would clear up all issues and remove the deliberate issue.

I agree with this.

The handball law needs to be changed to "Did the player gain an advantage from the handball?". Would clear up all issues and remove the deliberate issue.

Yep, i've been saying that for years. It would take away intent as the supposed factor.

Yep, i've been saying that for years. It would take away intent as the supposed factor.

So a player would be penalised for the ball hitting their hand accidentally, if it happened to deflect favourably for them? That's even worse.

So a player would be penalised for the ball hitting their hand accidentally, if it happened to deflect favourably for them? That's even worse.

Yup, you'd have players aiming for the oponents hands if they had nowt else on as well :lol:

That's too simplistic of a way of looking at it, every situation is different. Let the ref decide how it should be judged, most do anyway now to an extent. To be honest there simply isn't going to be system put in place that'll work 100% of the time. They'll always be something wrong with whatever law is used, it's just appointing one that reduces errors or mistakes/unjusts the most.

For me as a ref (not doing it at the moment as i'm playing Saturday afternoons), it would be easy for me to make my mind up about every individual incident, rather than follow the law to the letter as you're supposed to. Just in my experience, letting me decide for myself what is a penalty or not feels best in a game.

Yup, you'd have players aiming for the oponents hands if they had nowt else on as well :lol:

As the ref you would see that and not give it as that's the attacking team trying to gain an advantage by exploiting a certain scenario, like i said nothing would be perfect, it's just trying to find a better way than what's in place now.

And even then you'll still going to have better refs, poor refs making decision right or wrong, nothing will ever be perfect, it's simply not possible.

But as the rule now, don't you just judge if it was deliberate? Surely that's just the same.

Yeah you do, well intent anyway. The example i tend to use is, say when a player throws himself in front of a shot, almost every time the ball strikes his arm it's never given. As they're no intent but there are occasions when put their arms out like a GK would, now even though there's no intent, for me it should be a penalty but the law says intent and or arms in an unnatural position.

Again even then you can pick holes it that, your arms are attached to you so what is an unnatural position, there isn't one imo, but again it's an opinion against and opinion thing. For me it's just a feeling as i ref, let me decide 100% and then it's 100% down to me, and i can't then hide behind the law if i get it wrong as refs and the FA do now.

Is it just me or Atletico boring to watch? When I watch them on sky always just seem to be in tight tactical affairs with them looking to win by the odd goal, usually 1-0.

No it's not just you  ;) Simeone is probably the most defensive coach in the world and allows even less freedom to his players than Mourinho does. Fair play it's working for him but they are not entertaining at all as shown by their abysmal goals tally this season.